Tone Vise Pitch Shifter - Move Over D-Tuna??

tlingen":11o8lm0i said:
Tone Vise":11o8lm0i said:
tlingen":11o8lm0i said:
Will the Gotoh Floyd version be released soon?

Is your Gotoh recessed or top mount?

I have two Gotoh floyds, one recessed and another top mount.

The Ibanez Edge will work on the recessed one for sure. It may work on the top mount if it's up a bit from the face of the guitar.

anybody try the lock nut? I bought one to make tuning the low E easier while using the Tone Vise. It works pretty well and makes resetting the E easier - BUT - it rattles. Is this normal? Should it be tight or kinda loose and rattley?

I asked earlier in the thread if anyone had one, don't think I got any hits. I'm curious about them as well. Can't imagine what would be rattling, the thing should be solid when tightened down.

If you don't get any responses here, hit Mark (Tone Vise) up with a PM. I'm sure he can help you out.

Is some kind of trem blocker required for this to work or is fully floating good? If fully floating is good I will order today :D

trey85stang":2bzmskfi said:
Is some kind of trem blocker required for this to work or is fully floating good? If fully floating is good I will order today :D

You should read the thread before asking this question.

Will never work on a floating bridge.

Emg77":3nnx0bxd said:
7 Stringer":3nnx0bxd said:
Emg77":3nnx0bxd said:
Tone Vise":3nnx0bxd said:
Can you adjust your fine tuner up enough to where it's not protruding from beneath the whale tail at all? If part of it is showing then your string will be sharp.

Yeah the fine tuner is backed out as far it will go. I’ve tried backing out the A fine tuner as well. Again, the D is still sharp. The Floyd is stable as well.

If the E is in tune, drop the shifter in the D position and then adjust the fine tuner to fine tune to D. Switch back and forth and they should both be in tune.

Just did mine and it works perfectly.

The only adjustment with fine tuner available is to sharpen the D not flatten it. That’s the problem.

I am having the EXACT same issues as you are. Both of the ones I have are on Original Floyds. Both guitars have ESP arming adjusters to keep the trem stables and the trems are perfectly level. I can only get to D-Sharp with the fine tuner fully backed out. I have the unit installed correctly with about 1-1.1 mm clearance from the back of the Floyd.
I was considering maybe that I can flat grind that area on the Tone Vise where it sits against the backside of the Floyd. That would be the only way this would even remotely work. I measured 2 of the units with digital callipers and they were actually both off slightly bit enough that one is D# and the other very slightly above that in pitch. I don't think these units were precision ground at all if that is the case. My part number is correct being BP-2022-003 from All Parts.

Kind of disappointing as I had high hopes for this product. The concept is fantastic but when it doesn't work for me, it is not much use to me.
I did contact Tone Vise via email to see if they have any further solutions. Let's see what suggestions they have and I'll keep trying.

I do need to drop for a few songs in our sets but at this point, I'll tighten down the fine tuner at I usually have done, tune and then lower the fine tuner in between songs. It is a pain but reliable.

Glad to see that others have good success with them. I'll be really happy if I can get this working.

7 Stringer":ma36ilfk said:
trey85stang":ma36ilfk said:

You should read the thread before asking this question.

Will never work on a floating bridge.

I did, then i watched the install video which shows the bridge being able to be pulled up.

trey85stang":3nub33bp said:

If you use a stabilizer like the Back Box I used on the Ibanez in my install video you can still pull up on the bar.
I show this at the 2:50 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfXQvzBKWPU

But it must be properly stabilized or the tremolo will pull the strings sharp when you drop D. It's just the law of physics.

PBGas,
You need to adjust your arming adjusters.
They should be be contacting the tremblock when at rest, there should be no space between the two.
And the spring has to be tight enough to keep the trem from moving when you drop to D.
I used a Back Box in my Ibanez that I used in the install video. The arming adjusters work exactly the same way.
You can hear when I drop to D that it drops over a whole step before I use the fine tuner at around the 2:05 mark to sharpen it to D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfXQvzBKWPU

There's no need to grind the Pitch Shifters.

How many springs are you using and what gauge strings?

PBGas":czg5y6oi said:
Emg77":czg5y6oi said:
7 Stringer":czg5y6oi said:
Emg77":czg5y6oi said:
Tone Vise":czg5y6oi said:
Can you adjust your fine tuner up enough to where it's not protruding from beneath the whale tail at all? If part of it is showing then your string will be sharp.

Yeah the fine tuner is backed out as far it will go. I’ve tried backing out the A fine tuner as well. Again, the D is still sharp. The Floyd is stable as well.

If the E is in tune, drop the shifter in the D position and then adjust the fine tuner to fine tune to D. Switch back and forth and they should both be in tune.

Just did mine and it works perfectly.

The only adjustment with fine tuner available is to sharpen the D not flatten it. That’s the problem.

I am having the EXACT same issues as you are. Both of the ones I have are on Original Floyds. Both guitars have ESP arming adjusters to keep the trem stables and the trems are perfectly level. I can only get to D-Sharp with the fine tuner fully backed out. I have the unit installed correctly with about 1-1.1 mm clearance from the back of the Floyd.
I was considering maybe that I can flat grind that area on the Tone Vise where it sits against the backside of the Floyd. That would be the only way this would even remotely work. I measured 2 of the units with digital callipers and they were actually both off slightly bit enough that one is D# and the other very slightly above that in pitch. I don't think these units were precision ground at all if that is the case. My part number is correct being BP-2022-003 from All Parts.

Kind of disappointing as I had high hopes for this product. The concept is fantastic but when it doesn't work for me, it is not much use to me.
I did contact Tone Vise via email to see if they have any further solutions. Let's see what suggestions they have and I'll keep trying.

I do need to drop for a few songs in our sets but at this point, I'll tighten down the fine tuner at I usually have done, tune and then lower the fine tuner in between songs. It is a pain but reliable.

Glad to see that others have good success with them. I'll be really happy if I can get this working.

Yeah, I never did get it working. I even bought the tone vise stabilizer. I just gave up. I tried everything I could think of. Its not like its some advanced piece of machinery.

Tone Vise":1oe0lbg0 said:
PBGas,
You need to adjust your arming adjusters.
They should be be contacting the tremblock when at rest, there should be no space between the two.
And the spring has to be tight enough to keep the trem from moving when you drop to D.
I used a Back Box in my Ibanez that I used in the install video. The arming adjusters work exactly the same way.
You can hear when I drop to D that it drops over a whole step before I use the fine tuner at around the 2:05 mark to sharpen it to D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfXQvzBKWPU

There's no need to grind the Pitch Shifters.

How many springs are you using and what gauge strings?

Hi Mark,

I also got your email. Much thanks for responding and communicating with me on this one.

Currently using 3 noiseless Floyd springs
Using a 9-46 gauge string
ESP arming adjuster is installed and resting against the block.

Again, this most likely is a user error on my part and I am not afraid to admit this.
I'll work with you on this and send a few pics of what you requested.

Many thx!

:rock:

Tone Vise":1rry68on said:
trey85stang":1rry68on said:

If you use a stabilizer like the Back Box I used on the Ibanez in my install video you can still pull up on the bar.
I show this at the 2:50 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfXQvzBKWPU

But it must be properly stabilized or the tremolo will pull the strings sharp when you drop D. It's just the law of physics.

Ok, I will be getting a black box and the tone vise. As long as I can still go up (which is pretty much the only way I use the trem) that will work.

I just received mine and having some issues. I'm using a Tremel-no, but when I drop D with the PitchShifter, strings A-E go sharp and the low E goes 3/4 of a step flat. The more I use the fine tuner, the more it digs into the PitchShifter, thereby making it harder to twist it to between tunings.

I think the Tremel-no is not working correctly or...?

Can you instead just block the trem with a wood block, so you can only divebomb, and not pull up?
I emailed your gmail address a few times, but haven't received a response.

Using a 1986 Charvel Model 4, with a 1985 era Floyd Rose (with fine tuners) See attached pic

Attachments

• PS.jpg
    PS.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 456
I was able to get it sorted out for the most part. The screw was too short, so I moved the low E saddle back 1 notch on the Floyd.
I don't think the Tremel-no is fully locking the trem though, as the tuning is still a bit flat/sharp when switching between E and drop D

Back