pretty cool troy grady pentatonic lesson

I've been watching a lot of his stuff lately as I've been listening to EJ as much now as I did when I was 11 back in the 90's. I've found I'm too far into my habits to really change my picking style that much. To add, I always start with an upstroke, something my uncle always told me would be a detriment at some point in my playing....turns out it's solved a lot of issues before I even ran into them. The whole 'inside the strings' picking thing has never been an issue, I alternate pick everything and don't seem to have any issues moving from string to string.

Getting the EJ 5-note patterns down has been good fun in the last few weeks as that's such a huge part of his phrasing. I never figured out much of it when I was 11, but having the technical ability some 25 years later is pretty liberating. Hopefully building an EJ/Gilmour inspired rig this year so I really can't wait to start working on that violin tone and busting those out!

I don’t get the whole pick slanting thing he does, I rotate the pick like a “normal” person does to get pick harmonics, I pick like that all the time, like using the edge of the pick instead of the flat tip part, doing this kind of moves the pick up and away from the strings anyway quite naturally in fact without all the upward or downward pickslanting stuff.

RevDrucifer":1yfuit3f said:
I've been watching a lot of his stuff lately as I've been listening to EJ as much now as I did when I was 11 back in the 90's. I've found I'm too far into my habits to really change my picking style that much. To add, I always start with an upstroke, something my uncle always told me would be a detriment at some point in my playing....turns out it's solved a lot of issues before I even ran into them. The whole 'inside the strings' picking thing has never been an issue, I alternate pick everything and don't seem to have any issues moving from string to string.

Getting the EJ 5-note patterns down has been good fun in the last few weeks as that's such a huge part of his phrasing. I never figured out much of it when I was 11, but having the technical ability some 25 years later is pretty liberating. Hopefully building an EJ/Gilmour inspired rig this year so I really can't wait to start working on that violin tone and busting those out!

Ive been working on the lick at the 5:30 mark in the vid. its fun learning it then speeding it up and when picking it like Troy does, it is so much easier than just alternate picking it. I am still pretty slow, but gaining a little more speed.

PAULYC2":2ffm1m3k said:
I don’t get the whole pick slanting thing he does, I rotate the pick like a “normal” person does to get pick harmonics, I pick like that all the time, like using the edge of the pick instead of the flat tip part, doing this kind of moves the pick up and away from the strings anyway quite naturally in fact without all the upward or downward pickslanting stuff.

"Normal" haha nothing is normal when playing guitar.

I pick slant just like Grady shows. This is "normal" to me. ;)

mooncobra":3r11tdej said:
RevDrucifer":3r11tdej said:
Ive been working on the lick at the 5:30 mark in the vid. its fun learning it then speeding it up and when picking it like Troy does, it is so much easier than just alternate picking it. I am still pretty slow, but gaining a little more speed.

I went and got the tab after reading this and started giving it a shot. I very much want this technique to work for me but it's definitely going to take some work and effort. Up front, I can play it almost up to speed just picking the way I normally do, the only spots that fuck me up are moving to a different string but the same fret (10th fret on A string to 10th fret on the D) but I've always had issues with that. I'm going to keep working at it. I've been doing the 3-note-per-string thing for about 20 years and I'm quite bored with it, just really want some more tricks in the bag.

psychodave":2n4b5h4i said:
PAULYC2":2n4b5h4i said:

"Normal" haha nothing is normal when playing guitar.

I pick slant just like Grady shows. This is "normal" to me. ;)
True, there really is no “normal” lol, I was going to put normal in quotes in my original post but I was tired and lazy... lol

Back