Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Sep 19, 2019 9:20pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 16, 2019 8:46am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
Do you guys have any tips - settings? I am mainly interested in the 3rd channel - tight rhythm - metal tones. Thx in advance!

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod 24
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
Box of doom isolation cab
UR 22 sound interface
:rock: :rock: :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ios4ever
https://soundcloud.com/ios4ever

Last edited by sotosprince on Tue, Jul 16, 2019 2:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 16, 2019 9:07am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

All I can say is that take your time and turn lot a of knobs and experiment with the switches.

Try the bloom mode on the clean channel it is devine.

Splawn: PROMOD KT88, Nitro KT88, Super Sport 6V6. Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X. Rivera K100, K-TRE. Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Nomad 100, Subway Blues, .22 cal w/GEQ Musicman 100RD.Fender: 72 SF Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, 67 SF Bandmaster. Ampeg: Lee Jackson, AX70, Crate BV120 w/CEC mods.
BUILDS: 5F1, 1978X 18 Watt.
BUILDS IN PROCESS: AA165, JTM45.
And a bunch of modded EPI VJR's.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 16, 2019 11:19am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Well, I didn;t have much time to experiment with all the switches since the guy who visited me was in a hurry. It has its own voicing of course, but I don't know if I like it more than my mark III. Maybe it has more gain but I am not sure. Dual - mark combo lol. Unfortunately I didn't have a cab available to try it properly so I only was able to run it through my suhr- torpedo - studio monitors. Maybe next time I'll convince him to bring it at the studio! That thing is so freaking heavy!

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
UR 22 sound interface

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 16, 2019 12:41pm 
Plank Cranker

sotosprince wrote:
Well, I didn;t have much time to experiment with all the switches since the guy who visited me was in a hurry. It has its own voicing of course, but I don't know if I like it more than my mark III. Maybe it has more gain but I am not sure. Dual - mark combo lol. Unfortunately I didn't have a cab available to try it properly so I only was able to run it through my suhr- torpedo - studio monitors. Maybe next time I'll convince him to bring it at the studio! That thing is so freaking heavy!

Hard to really run an amp through its paces given the situation you just described.

My advice is to download the manual for the Sig:X and start with those settings, then start tweaking. The gain controls are very interactive as far as voicing.

Also, crank the clean channel and hit it with a boost... it behaves like a classic NMV amp. Toggle through the modes for different voicing.

Overall, have an open mind with this amp. Each channel can do a variation of "clean to mean" with the orange and red channels capable of full-on modern hi-gain. As many controls as this amp has, each one has a pretty major impact on the sound. Take time and tweak.

Amps:
VHT Pittbull CLX
Diezel D-Moll
Fryette Sig X
Fryette GP/DI
Fryette Power Station
Line 6 Helix

Guitars:
Edwards LP Custom style
custom chambered LP style (Fast Guitars kit build)
1950's spec Warmoth/Allparts Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum
Fender MIJ Stratocaster (1987)

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 16, 2019 1:28pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

dirtyfunkg wrote:
sotosprince wrote:

Hard to really run an amp through its paces given the situation you just described.

My advice is to download the manual for the Sig:X and start with those settings, then start tweaking. The gain controls are very interactive as far as voicing.

Also, crank the clean channel and hit it with a boost... it behaves like a classic NMV amp. Toggle through the modes for different voicing.

Overall, have an open mind with this amp. Each channel can do a variation of "clean to mean" with the orange and red channels capable of full-on modern hi-gain. As many controls as this amp has, each one has a pretty major impact on the sound. Take time and tweak.

Yeah, ur right! It has tons of low end, doesn't it?

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
UR 22 sound interface

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 16, 2019 1:53pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Shame you didn't get to spend more time with it!

I currently own 4 different Fryette/VHT amps, but have never been in the same room with a Sig X. It's on my list of amps to try, no doubt.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 16, 2019 2:26pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Bad.Seed wrote:

I currently own 4 different Fryette/VHT amps, but have never been in the same room with a Sig X. It's on my list of amps to try, no doubt.

I see u have a mark 4! This is the next amp I want to try! If I am lucky enough, next week I'll try the Rev B version! How do u like it compared to the other Fryett / VHT amps u got?

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
UR 22 sound interface

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 16, 2019 2:55pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I was able to record a quick clip - I told the seller to play the same riff over and over again, while I was messing with the knobs. I think it sounds like a dual rectifier. The amp was recorded using the suhr reactive load - torpedo CAB - audacity. I used a 4x12 Bogner and then 2 Diezel cabs- 121 mic - heavy hitters collection. Again, this is just a quick clip I wanted to record. Nothing special and of course it doesn't do justice!

https://hearthis.at/ultimate-metal-guit ... -clip/9wy/

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
UR 22 sound interface

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 16, 2019 7:27pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

sotosprince wrote:
Bad.Seed wrote:

I see u have a mark 4! This is the next amp I want to try! If I am lucky enough, next week I'll try the Rev B version! How do u like it compared to the other Fryett / VHT amps u got?

I ended up selling the Mark IV. Just wasn't my thing. Didn't love the voicing, low end wasn't as tight as people made it out to be. Definitely didn't have the fryette clarity or punchiness either.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 16, 2019 7:35pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I had one for five years and never felt like I found all the tones in it! Really miss that amp, hope to get another one of these days or a Deliverance.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 16, 2019 8:31pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

bigangryguitar wrote:
I had one for five years and never felt like I found all the tones in it! Really miss that amp, hope to get another one of these days or a Deliverance.

Same here, except that I still have mine... In storage in need of a tube swap. I love that sucker though.

Splawn: PROMOD KT88, Nitro KT88, Super Sport 6V6. Orange Rockerverb 50mki. Fryette Sig:X. Rivera K100, K-TRE. Mesa:, mkIV, Tremoverb, Nomad 100, Subway Blues, .22 cal w/GEQ Musicman 100RD.Fender: 72 SF Bassman, 70 Twin Reverb, 67 SF Bandmaster. Ampeg: Lee Jackson, AX70, Crate BV120 w/CEC mods.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 16, 2019 9:31pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
bigangryguitar wrote:

Same here, except that I still have mine... In storage in need of a tube swap. I love that sucker though.

Stupid gas got the best of me! Note to self don’t trade away amps you really like!

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 17, 2019 4:08pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I sold my Sig:X recently after much contemplation... I found the high gain tones to be a bit too dry and stiff. It definitely won't have any of the liquid qualities that a Mesa Mark or some Engls have.
The mid-gain Marshally tones is where I'll really miss the Sig:X. Clean channel was pretty nice, but to me didn't have the wow-factor of Mark IV/V/Diezel Dmoll/Engl Invader-clean. Also, it hisses pretty noticably (regardless of volume).

That dryness of the Sig X gives you the idea that it needs way more gain...the gain is there though, but the saturation is often lower, compared to most Mesa/Diezel/Engl.

I ran Rhythm channel in Live or Burn mode with Gain around noon, Saturation around 2 o 'clock, More On, Wood and that rocked for 70's/80's hard rock/heavy stuff.

Engl Savage 60 + Two Notes Torpedo Live
Engl e670 Special Edition EL34 + HB 212V cab (G12K85 +V30)
EVH 5150 III 50W + Mesa Boogie 2x12 Vertical Slant cab
Fender '74 Princeton Reverb (w/ Eminence Legend 105-8)
Marshall Lead 100 MOSFET + 1966A & 1966B cabs
Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 + Mesa 1x12 Thiele EVM cab
Roland Jazz Chorus JC-55 combo & JC-120H head
Axes:
Burny Les Paul (3x), Charvel So-Cal, Epiphone Wildkat, ESP Horizon NT-II, Fender '68 RI Strat, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, G&L ASAT Classic Tribute, Ibanez S540FM & Kramer SM-1 Guitars

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 17, 2019 4:11pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Speeddemon wrote:
I sold my Sig:X recently after much contemplation... I found the high gain tones to be a bit too dry and stiff. It definitely won't have any of the liquid qualities that a Mesa Mark or some Engls have.
The mid-gain Marshally tones is where I'll really miss the Sig:X. Clean channel was pretty nice, but to me didn't have the wow-factor of Mark IV/V/Diezel Dmoll/Engl Invader-clean. Also, it hisses pretty noticably (regardless of volume).

That dryness of the Sig X gives you the idea that it needs way more gain...the gain is there though, but the saturation is often lower, compared to most Mesa/Diezel/Engl.

I ran Rhythm channel in Live or Burn mode with Gain around noon, Saturation around 2 o 'clock, More On, Wood and that rocked for 70's/80's hard rock/heavy stuff.

I see you own lots of amps! U ever tried the fireball 60? I can have it for like half the price of the sig x!

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
UR 22 sound interface

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 18, 2019 4:37am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I like the raw dry tone for some things, but not for everything. I remember loving the cleans more than most other three channel amps. I used to love the bloom on the clean.

I would definitely not have a sig:x as an only amp, but it's great to have in your studio.

There is some magic on ch 2 but it takes a bit to find. It's definitely not an amp you can get maximum potential out of in an hour.

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 18, 2019 10:12am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

sotosprince wrote:
Speeddemon wrote:

I see you own lots of amps! U ever tried the fireball 60? I can have it for like half the price of the sig x!

I had one of those before, great clean channel and great heavy channel but it's pretty scooped and hi fi sounding and compressed so the opposite of the Sig X. The Engl didn't sit in a band mix nearly as well and wasn't nearly as dynamic. I still miss my Sig X a lot, don't miss the Engl at all (except the cool red led lights).

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 18, 2019 10:32am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Thx a lot guys! The Sig x is at 1000 euros used so I can't afford it right now. I'll open a new thread, since I will be testing some new amps and I really need your advice! Cheers!

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
UR 22 sound interface

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 20, 2019 8:43am 
Immortal Rock God

http://www.fryette-users.com/forums/sho ... X-Settings

Sig X is the amp I use most.

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 20, 2019 9:06am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

stephen sawall wrote:
http://www.fryette-users.com/forums/showthread.php?3618-Sig-X-Settings

Sig X is the amp I use most.

Thx a lot !

1983 USA Kramer Pacer
Charvel Model 5a
VFE Dragon overdrive
UR 22 sound interface

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 21, 2019 4:29am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

sotosprince wrote:
Thx a lot guys! The Sig x is at 1000 euros used so I can't afford it right now. I'll open a new thread, since I will be testing some new amps and I really need your advice! Cheers!

I sold mine for 800 and I did feel a little ripped off. It wouldn't move at all for 1000.
As BAG said, the Fireball is almost the opposite.
Mind you, I never gigged with the SigX; only the Invader and the 5150III 50W come out to play.
The Invader is quite the odd one out in the Engl line-up; a lot smoother and rounder sounding with a bit less compression in the 2nd channel. But I miss some of the Marshally kerrang from that channel. The SE has that, but it lacks the nice jump in gain when switching between lo and hi gain modes on the Crunch channel.

I currently enjoy playing my Engl Savage 60 the most actually. Sure, when the Rhythm channel is set to clean, it doesn't have the nice, bloomy qualities of a good, dedicated clean channel, but it's definitely workable. And it's so versatile, with the 2 gain knobs (Rhythm gain influences Lead gain).
It *does* have more of that pissed off, souped-up Marshall tone with loads of mids and highs, but definitely tighter and clearer. Sometimes that works against you, if you want more low-end saturation and sag, but a small price to pay. It ain't a Cameron or anything.
I typically crank the bass (3-4 o' clock), cut the mids (10 'o clock max, typically lower) and cut high-end slightly. Its base-tone is on the lean side of things, so this helps even it out... bit like a Mesa Mark, but a totally different type of gain. Saturation, sure, but way more raw and cutting.

Engl Savage 60 + Two Notes Torpedo Live
Engl e670 Special Edition EL34 + HB 212V cab (G12K85 +V30)
EVH 5150 III 50W + Mesa Boogie 2x12 Vertical Slant cab
Fender '74 Princeton Reverb (w/ Eminence Legend 105-8)
Marshall Lead 100 MOSFET + 1966A & 1966B cabs
Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 + Mesa 1x12 Thiele EVM cab
Roland Jazz Chorus JC-55 combo & JC-120H head
Axes:
Burny Les Paul (3x), Charvel So-Cal, Epiphone Wildkat, ESP Horizon NT-II, Fender '68 RI Strat, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, G&L ASAT Classic Tribute, Ibanez S540FM & Kramer SM-1 Guitars