Best Boost for Tightening Up An Amp

Just an update from me that I ended up not going with the Buxom Boost. I just snagged a VFE Standout today so I should have it in a week or so.

Qweklain":je1apczo said:
Just an update from me that I ended up not going with the Buxom Boost. I just snagged a VFE Standout today so I should have it in a week or so.

Where did you get one? I’ve been searching for one.

So I managed to pull myself off the Wizard's tit, and switch to the Uber and really give the Buxom a run with it. After fiddling with it a bit, it can sound fantastic with that amp as well. Great all around OD IMO.

psychodave":26vbmfut said:
Qweklain":26vbmfut said:

Where did you get one? I’ve been searching for one.

It was on Reverb and had only been listed for a day or two. I missed out on a good deal on a Buxom and since I had not seen any Standouts for sale at all since I started looking, decided to just buy it.

So I tried it out a couple days ago and wow, it is definitely worth it if you can find one. Now, I am not some "boost connoisseur" because frankly, if an amp cannot get the tone I want without a boost, then it is not the right amp for me especially with how much these things cost. The exception is single channel amps since a boost can almost be like having a different channel. There are amps though that need a boost like the Rectifier, Uberschall, etc.

With that said, I had no idea an Uber could get so tight! I did have to lower the gain (by like ~30%) and I lowered the presence and treble because this pedal hits the front HARD, and I have the level only set at about 10 o'clock. I may try and get a clip just to show what it does.

Qweklain":2mqryjel said:
So I tried it out a couple days ago and wow, it is definitely worth it if you can find one. Now, I am not some "boost connoisseur" because frankly, if an amp cannot get the tone I want without a boost, then it is not the right amp for me especially with how much these things cost. The exception is single channel amps since a boost can almost be like having a different channel. There are amps though that need a boost like the Rectifier, Uberschall, etc.

With that said, I had no idea an Uber could get so tight! I did have to lower the gain (by like ~30%) and I lowered the presence and treble because this pedal hits the front HARD, and I have the level only set at about 10 o'clock. I may try and get a clip just to show what it does.

The Uber (speaking for a Rev blue) gets tighter than a frog's ass when hit with an od but the cool thing is it can still maintain some of the sag and not become overly stiff.

Qweklain":3iotxaev said:

I like the Dragon pedal more than the Standout with the Uberschall.

Uber doesn't "have" to have a boost. The bass is so overwhelming that it eats up the other frequencies. Drop it until the mids come out and it grinds like crazy. That being said, it does take boosts very well if you want to keep the bass run high.

I'm still learning a ton about eqing, even though I've been messing with it for decades. But sometimes reducing other frequencies to make room for the ones you want can be effective, rather than always adding.

That being said, not knocking boosts, they do a thing, I have 4-5 myself lol. Cheers!

PS- When psychodave suggests something for tone, listen lol

misterspockyall":2fgxh6v9 said:
Uber doesn't "have" to have a boost. The bass is so overwhelming that it eats up the other frequencies. Drop it until the mids come out and it grinds like crazy. That being said, it does take boosts very well if you want to keep the bass run high.

I'm still learning a ton about eqing, even though I've been messing with it for decades. But sometimes reducing other frequencies to make room for the ones you want can be effective, rather than always adding.

That being said, not knocking boosts, they do a thing, I have 4-5 myself lol. Cheers!

PS- When psychodave suggests something for tone, listen lol

It's all a matter of taste for sure. The Uber and damn near every other amp I've ever owned would not satisfy my tastes without some sort of OD up front and they'd all more than disappoint without an eq in the loop for me. I'm dependent on those two tools to get what I want.

If we all enjoyed the same tone/feel, there'd sure be a lot less options out there wouldn't there. That could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how ya look at it.

Back