Question on installing pickup rings

Econ

I posted this in the tech section but have not received a response, so maybe I’ll have better luck here. I have a Charvel Promod guitar that has direct mounted pickups, but would love to add some creme pickup rings to it. Is this feasible?

I guess you can position the pick up rings over the pick ups and see if they cover the routes properly. The main thing is you are going to have to drill the body for the 4 screws for each cover. If you are fine with all that and like how it looks go ahead its your guitar.

I installed creme pickup rings on my MIM hardtail

c2uw1vph.jpg

bZc7sNGl.jpg

hammered":33l0kr8z said:

c2uw1vph.jpg

bZc7sNGl.jpg

That looks awesome and is exactly the look I’m looking for. Is there any specific pickup ring you recommend?

The size of the hole in the pickup base plate that is used for the height adjustment screws may be an issue.
Many times the hole in the pickup has been enlarged and the threads have been drilled out for the wood screw that is used to secure the PU to the body. So now the standard pickup ring height screw can't be used.
I've seen guys solder a small nut to the underside of the base plate, or you can re-tap the holes and use a larger machine screw.
If a small enough wood screw was used and the original threads are still in the hole in the base plate, then you are good to go.
Worth checking BEFORE you decide to drill the holes to mount the ring.

edit: should also mention that for floyd style guitars, you probably need short FLAT pu rings. Don't buy a set designed for a Les Paul. They will be too tall, and the tops are angled.

Econ":26q6lhyj said:
hammered":26q6lhyj said:

c2uw1vph.jpg

bZc7sNGl.jpg

That looks awesome and is exactly the look I’m looking for. Is there any specific pickup ring you recommend?

I could have sworn I got those from Allparts but the only ones I see on their site now have slanted sides . The ones I have are short with non slanted sides . My bridge pickup is trembucker spacing and the ring fit over it no problem . Possibly these from Stew Mac

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Pa ... ckups.html

fusedbrain":25cyfeds said:
The size of the hole in the pickup base plate that is used for the height adjustment screws may be an issue.
Many times the hole in the pickup has been enlarged and the threads have been drilled out for the wood screw that is used to secure the PU to the body. So now the standard pickup ring height screw can't be used.
I've seen guys solder a small nut to the underside of the base plate, or you can re-tap the holes and use a larger machine screw.
If a small enough wood screw was used and the original threads are still in the hole in the base plate, then you are good to go.
Worth checking BEFORE you decide to drill the holes to mount the ring.

edit: should also mention that for floyd style guitars, you probably need short FLAT pu rings. Don't buy a set designed for a Les Paul. They will be too tall, and the tops are angled.

Your right , the direct mount pickups might possibly have the mounting hole enlarged . When I took the stock white Duncans out and had them replaced with the zebras I never looked to see if the mounting hole was enlarged from the factory

hammered":nrblgxv5 said:
Econ":nrblgxv5 said:
hammered":nrblgxv5 said:

c2uw1vph.jpg

bZc7sNGl.jpg

I could have sworn I got those from Allparts but the only ones I see on their site now have slanted sides . The ones I have are short with non slanted sides . My bridge pickup is trembucker spacing and the ring fit over it no problem . Possibly these from Stew Mac

Are your pickup rings identical in size?

Econ":1r3c9m36 said:
hammered":1r3c9m36 said:
Econ":1r3c9m36 said:
hammered":1r3c9m36 said:

c2uw1vph.jpg

bZc7sNGl.jpg

Are your pickup rings identical in size?

Yes , I never really noticed it till looking at the pics but the bridge trembucker looks to fit a little snug in that ring but it adjust up and down with no problem

where to get the screws for the pickp rings? Mine are black but I want to switch them out for chrome.

lotsalemon":ane1oy58 said:
thenine":ane1oy58 said:
lotsalemon":ane1oy58 said:
I did the same to my Charvel Pro Mod, I love how it looks now.

I used these screws to mount the rings:

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Pa ... gKQUfD_BwE

Thanks. What length did you use? The website shows 9/16" and 11/16"?

I used the 9/16" screws.

Thanks. I bought 20 of the 9/16" in chrome for my USA Charvel San Dimas. But they are too long for the neck pup which has a rather narrow neck pup ring. Were yours OK for at 9/16" for the neck ring also? I am wondering if I just need to get another screwdriver tip and power them in there or I am better off finding some shorter ones somewhere? Where I dont know.

Back