Help me pick out my next amp

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Boss Katana to get back into playing (been out of it for almost 15 years now). My (new) band is playing covers from the 70's through the 90's. Mostly the danceable club crap that would make most of you puke, but the band members are talented, they have a steady gig schedule, and so far it's a lot of fun.

I'm already looking forward to replacing the Katana (keeping it as a backup amp), and started looking around to see what's out there.

What I'm looking for:
Tube Combo with 10" or 12" speaker
Under 50 watts (sweet spot would be around 25 - 30 watts)
Decent amount of gain
Price range under $1200
Not adverse to buying used

I've done Marshalls in the past. Maybe I just never owned a great one, cause I wasn't wow'd by either of them (TSL 601, and DSL 40). A buddy of mine has a recent Silver Jubilee 25w head, and it sounds really, really good. Definitely an option. I also thought about going with an Engl Screamer, but none of the shops around here carry them, and I'm adverse to buying blind. Did the 5150/6505 thing before, and while I loved the gain, the clean channel and effects loop were complete crap.

Suggestions anyone?

Mesa 22 cal w/EQ or mkiii I will be posting my 22 cal NAD soon. I just have to get around to it.

Well, since you like the tone of the mini jube head, grab the combo. 25w and loaded with a greenback, plenty of gain and easily boosted for more, clean channel is good along with the FX loop.

The new 5150III's now have a very usable clean channel with the concentric pots. I thought the loop on the EL34 50 watt I had was pretty good.

In the used market, there are a lot of options out there under $1200. Maybe even a Splawn. The Mesa Mark's are another good option but I just can't tweak them correctly. Just a Mark noob I guess.

swamptrashstompboxes":3liflr5t said:
Mesa 22 cal w/EQ or mkiii I will be posting my 22 cal NAD soon. I just have to get around to it.

I love these amps. Gigged with one through a 4x12 for years. Sounds amazing.

I would say a Lone Star either the special for the lower wattage or personally I'd go with the 100w and use a lower wattage setting. Awesome clean, lots of gain on tap for leads just need a little clean boost to tighten it but you might not even need that based on the type of music, and then grab a different pedal for your crunch.

fek":37e90f9w said:
The new 5150III's now have a very usable clean channel with the concentric pots. I thought the loop on the EL34 50 watt I had was pretty good.

In the used market, there are a lot of options out there under $1200. Maybe even a Splawn. The Mesa Mark's are another good option but I just can't tweak them correctly. Just a Mark noob I guess.
Pull the boosts, Bass on 0, EQ on and in a V. Tweak from there.
:rock:

The good thing with the .22 cal is that it is much more portable as it weighs about half as much as the 5150iii.

fek":1u250u6h said:
The Mesa Mark's are another good option but I just can't tweak them correctly. Just a Mark noob I guess.

Over the years I’ve had two Mark 3’s (green stripe head, and a combo) and a Dual Recto, and like you never felt like I could dial them in to my satisfaction. Also......willing to admit it was probably my fault and not the amps. :doh: I played a 5:25 at the local Music Go Round yesterday and I was surprised at how good it sounded at low to med volume......Almost pulled the trigger on it, but I think it would be unwise to get another Mesa this time around knowing how I tend to be with them.

Splawn Street Rod....I 2nd this. Just bought one from music go round. Mint condition all white head, killer marshall sounds, great loop, master vol, $1000. What’s not to love.

I’d go with the 5153 1x12 combo. Perfect cover band amp with 3 great channels, midi switchable, and a great sounding fx loop that takes all pedals well.

I recently played the new Fender Bass Breaker 1x12. It has a Celestion Creamback that really sounded great and is way under your price max. I was very surprised by the sound of this amp.

motorboy1":3shzkafa said:
Splawn Street Rod....I 2nd this. Just bought one from music go round. Mint condition all white head, killer marshall sounds, great loop, master vol, $1000. What’s not to love.

I have not tried the street rod, but I love my promod and nitro. Can't go wrong with a Splawn.

Short chassis Marshall 2204 JMP. 50 watts. Have a tech put a triode/pentode switch in. Load it with 6550s, add an SD-1 and you’re done.

motorboy1":34psspt1 said:
Aren't those like 65lbs or so?

BrokenFusion":jh9zmchw said:
motorboy1":jh9zmchw said:
Aren't those like 65lbs or so?

Most likely.

The 5153 combos are stupid heavy too.

Played an Or15 last night. Surprisingly was plenty loud, and had plenty of headroom on the clean channel (at full power). Definitely in the running.

Pentatonic":2od0x2x6 said:
Played an Or15 last night. Surprisingly was plenty loud, and had plenty of headroom on the clean channel (at full power). Definitely in the running.

I was similarly surprised with the one I had.

Back