DFW Ampfest Video Library (Thanks LPMojoGL)

firejack":3pui1c97 said:
Oh man, again that Wizard! Sounded incredible. Also, that guitar of Lunati's (Mayones?) has very special tone I think.
Some killer guitar players on show. Great to watch.
Special thanks to LPMojo for putting all this together.
:thumbsup:

The Wizard and Mayo are a unique tone for sure :thumbsup: I picked up a Qatsi Mayo a while back, and the clarity and punch of that guitar combined with the Wizard is something special :yes:

Looks like a great time! I had at least 3 good brothers in attendence. Wish I could have flown in for this. Maybe next time! :rock: Happy you all had a good time. :)

firejack":bisvww98 said:
Oh man, again that Wizard! Sounded incredible. Also, that guitar of Lunati's (Mayones?) has very special tone I think.
Some killer guitar players on show. Great to watch.
Special thanks to LPMojo for putting all this together.
:thumbsup:

Thanks bud!
That guitar is downtuned to drop c#, and has 11-56 on it.
It has BKP juggernauts, which are very clear also.
That guitar with the wizard exposes every little nuance, then you bring in the heavy gauge strings, and it makes you bring your “A” game. The pick attack has to be crazy hard and tight to stay fluid with that pairing. The uberkab is also very tight. So it REALLY makes you work, but sounds fantastic.
Prob shoulda waited for that until I was more warmed up (Came into that wizard cold). But I knew everyone wanted to hear the wiz!
It gets some nice snarl with that Mayones guitar for sure :rock:

Yeah, I think we were all dying to hear the Wizard. I know I was. So glad you brought it. :)
The only problem with hearing a Wizard in that setting, is that you end up wanting one.

The Wizard was pretty balls out. Kind of dug the Rev F Mesa. A little loose (we know the fix) but had a certain mid range aggression that was different from the more saturated amps.
My fav though was the Naylor. That was the amp by itself or with a pedal? Had it been modified?

skoora":1utjsvsr said:
The Wizard was pretty balls out. Kind of dug the Rev F Mesa. A little loose (we know the fix) but had a certain mid range aggression that was different from the more saturated amps.
My fav though was the Naylor. That was the amp by itself or with a pedal? Had it been modified?

It had a boost in front, for most of it, I believe. Airis Savage Drive. Thank amp was the sleeper for me. It had great punch and balls. Very fun to play and very pleasing to the ears. I knew Naylors were rock machines, but with a boost, it’s balls out metal. Not super crazy metallic compressed modern metal, but it had the right raw cut mixed with the right balance of compression and saturation, boosted. I loved playing that one as much as the others.

skoora":3ct9ejpn said:

The Mesa def shapes up with a boost. I played it with one, but didn’t get any video of it. It sounds huge, tight and evil with a boost.

The Naylor is not modified. It’s a stock Duel 100. JYD was on and off the boost and I kept fiddling with knobs. Naylors are some of the hardest rocking amps, but can clean up and sound sweet. Naylor is one of the best lead amps, too.

LPMojoGL":1r9tbshw said:
Yeah, I think we were all dying to hear the Wizard. I know I was. So glad you brought it. :)
The only problem with hearing a Wizard in that setting, is that you end up wanting one.

Hahah then you end up with one :LOL: :LOL: :doh: :emofag: :emofag: :cheers2: :cheers: :cheers:

controlled_voltage":3faitais said:
the wizard for the win ccv and be clones were sick as well
can't believe how much i didn't like the ksr

You know, I had a very similar experience. Went to a gear fest, dude brought what I think was a Gemini. I was super stoked to try that amp, like very very hyped up. Turned out to be my least favorite of any amp there. :LOL: :LOL:

I didn't use my own cab or guitar and of course didn't have hours with it but it was such a let down for me.

scottosan":2r82ri70 said:
Juggernaut":2r82ri70 said:
when are we doing it again? ;) had a blast that day.
:thumbsup: some of the smarter guys brought a cooler and some beers last time. I request a do over. :rock:

:LOL: :LOL: yeah! Speaking of, when and where is this gearhead happy hour going down? I live in Euless, work in Arlington, happy to meet halfway somewhere. Let’s do this. And discuss the next get together.

Has it been confirmed that the Wizard had some type of Hetfield mod? Does Rick still the mod? I ask because the Wizards I had did not sound like that.

LPMojoGL":2o96n8b1 said:
scottosan":2o96n8b1 said:
Juggernaut":2o96n8b1 said:
:thumbsup: some of the smarter guys brought a cooler and some beers last time. I request a do over. :rock:

:LOL: :LOL: yeah! Speaking of, when and where is this gearhead happy hour going down? I live in Euless, work in Arlington, happy to meet halfway somewhere. Let’s do this. And discuss the next get together.
I live in Arlington, so that's easy

maddnotez":209xnz99 said:
controlled_voltage":209xnz99 said:
the wizard for the win ccv and be clones were sick as well
can't believe how much i didn't like the ksr

You know, I had a very similar experience. Went to a gear fest, dude brought what I think was a Gemini. I was super stoked to try that amp, like very very hyped up. Turned out to be my least favorite of any amp there. :LOL: :LOL:

I didn't use my own cab or guitar and of course didn't have hours with it but it was such a let down for me.

The Gemini is in the top 5 for me. Behind the Wizards and Ultra-lead of course. I mostly liked the blue mode on the lead channel. That was tighter and dryer, more like an UL

scottosan":27v5ea05 said:
Juggernaut":27v5ea05 said:

Dude, your clone sounded killer as well. Very impressive work.

Krull":37syf972 said:
Has it been confirmed that the Wizard had some type of Hetfield mod? Does Rick still the mod? I ask because the Wizards I had did not sound like that.

I have that 2016 MC50 now. I inquired with Rick and he said the amp is stock, just like Hetfiled’s Wizards.
The amp is super responsive to different guitars and pickups. I can get ballpark darn near anything from SRV to LZ/ZZ/ACDC to EVH to 80s thrash to 90s heavy stuff to what you heard with a guitar swap, some knob fiddling and a click of a footswitch. No pedals needed. I was playing Drop Dead Legs yesterday, and that cleanish A chord to the browned out D I was getting had me giggling like a giddy 10 yr old.
There’s a video of Cesar Soto playing thru his 50w MCII on Wizard’s fb page. He’s pulling huge heavy tone on the lead channel, boost engaged. I contacted him asking about his setup. He is most friendly, said the dirt was all amp, no pedals.

Found it:

In video 3 who's the guy wearing all black messing with the VHT and who's the guy wearing the white tights?

Back