Facebook gear pages....future of Rigtalk?

Avi8r2005":uia9a3hs said:
nevusofota":uia9a3hs said:
Avi8r2005":uia9a3hs said:
Not to try to make it a negative post. Personally I pulled the plug on my FB account about a years ago. After seeing how shady Zuckerberg is and the privacy concerns, how it divided relationships between people with differing views, I chose to not use it. I do still stand behind it as a platform for overuse of "inspirational quotes" YMMV

I don't understand this way of thinking towards FB.

Example: I have a FB account where I
don’t use my real name and only befriended guitar groups and pro players (Soldano Amplification Players Group, Friedman Amps, Pete Thorn, Andy Wood, etc.). When I open FB my entire wall is ONLY from these groups and players. No one else can even find me. I don’t even get friend requests from family or high school classmates because I use no identifying details in my profile such as where I went to school, where I work, or where I live. Suckerberg knows nothing about me. It’s the same thing we do here on RT. I don’t see the single divorced moms inspirational quotes because I’m not friends with them. Please, someone explain.

As I stated YMMV, your mileage may vary. I explained why I dont use it. I'm sorry if you dont find that acceptable. I do see the similarities and parallels of FB to a forum such as this. However, I choose not to use it. I didnt find to be an enriching part of my life, i gained nothing from it and it provided nothing that enhance my quality of life. Why would I continue to use such a tool that has little to no benefit to me

Hey, man, whatever floats your boat. Your explanation is based on the way you used it in the past. My example of a possible way to use FB totally has none of the negative factors you mentioned. RT must have some benefit to you since you are here posting, the same benefit (maybe even more so) could be achieved if FB is used the way I outlined.

It's not a bad idea, but as you say, there are already a tonne of pages on FB for musos and gearheads. What I dig about typing "Rig-Talk" in my URL pane is I get to this site with no bullshit; no extra tag-alongs, no nonsense, and it's a place I'm super familiar with and have been with for a long long time. I don't dig FB because hey, even if I just wanted to log-in to play around with RT stuff, all that extra shit comes with it. It's a noisy crowded heavy-data platform.

I dig it here. Prefer it here. And outside of dabbling in that spin-off page with a similar format (can't even remember it now but it was created during the Brad King Defection days) that I have the same handle on, I just come here for the goods.

2 cents.

(edited for spelling error)

MetalHeadMike":pcpbq2n0 said:
I've never to this day been on FB or any other social media site and honestly don't plan on it. If this RT platform were to fade away, I'd more than likely say bye bye.
Yup, same here.

Personally I'm more surprised Reddit hasn't taken over the Rig-talk/Harmony Central scene like it does with everything else. It has a much better platform. The guitar subreddits are pretty beginnerish though

My 2 cents

I'm basically on the fence about the whole FB thing. I dipped my toes in for the first time this year to stay in touch with some people that use it a lot. I have like 33 'friends'. I've Unfollowed 3 already because the number of frivolous posts was just too much.

There are 2 billion people now on Facebook. I don't see it going away. There are definitely some benefits to it and it is super easy on a smart phone. I actually find FB easier on my phone than on my laptop - which is not true for most traditional forums.

They do seem to have some pretty big security concerns, which does worry me.

Now I hear they want to use your pictures to sell you more stuff. I mean, if you upload a pic, it now belongs to them. They will sell that, along with other info to the data miners to pitch you more junk. Also, you may chose an alt name for your online 'Gear' FB persona but won't FB still recognize it is you based on your IP and location? I also don't feel like managing 2 (or more) FB profiles.

I'm actually subscribed to the Dual Rectifier group and the Splawn group FWIW and to be honest - I'd much rather see posts about stuff like that than the 'inspirational quotes' BS that fills up. So, I'm still in a wait and see mode.

Lastly, in addition to the security concerns, there are 2 main areas that bother me about FB Groups:

1.) On a forum, I can research a user, product, or question. That seems hard to do on FB.

2.) I find it somewhat odd and almost embarrassing when someone in a 'insert gear here' FB Group asks a question like - "Where do I put my boost pedal?" Then there will 47 comments about it, none of which are particularly relevant to the product group you are in. Then, 2 days later: "Where do you guys put your boost pedals?" I mean, didn't we just cover that? I've also found it somewhat cumbersome to have a back to back conversation like we do on forums :dunno:

So OP - thanks nonetheless for setting this up for people. :cheers: Maybe I'll join.

Good to know that you have thick enough skin to realize ahead of time that there will be people who will oppose (and even pile on) :D Sometimes it is good for people to get concurrence that what they believe is what others believe too you know - so that is understandable. Honestly, I am on the look out for the next 'FB' that has security as their # 1 concern and a more customizable 'time line'.

EDIT: tldr version....see bold :LOL: :LOL:

I use FB, but I have 25 friends...real friends and people that I actually see and care about. I don’t friend anyone I don’t know. My FB feed is super short and takes 1 minute to see all updates. I rarely post anything and the only thing you can gather from my pictures is I am active in martial arts and so are 75% of my friends along with a few simple pictures of my kids. Nothing Zuck can use... unless he wants to challenge SAG for the pictures of my daughter. :D My feed is 3-4 guitar pages and a private group of people I know from here. That said, my FB experience is mostly positive. As for a RT page...no need.

I will say that I see quite a few people from RT on several gear pages. I never let on though. :LOL: :LOL:

MetalHeadMike":3m6c7w33 said:
I've never to this day been on FB or any other social media site and honestly don't plan on it. If this RT platform were to fade away, I'd more than likely say bye bye.

Amen brother :thumbsup:

Avi8r2005":1rxgnbht said:
Facebook is for fat divorced single moms with 3 kids with different dads posting inspirational quotes about their fucking journey.
Sounds like fair game. ;)

There is already hundreds of music groups on Facebook. There has been a Rig Talk page there maybe a decade. Do a search Facebook for Rig Talk.

stephen sawall":1c4wsjp2 said:
There is already hundreds of music groups on Facebook. There has been a Rig Talk page there maybe a decade. Do a search Facebook for Rig Talk.
What you’re referring to is not a group page but a business type page. There are no members and no one can make a post except the “owner” of the page (who hasn’t posted in 4 years, whoever that is).

FB is pants for proper discussion
You post some considered thoughts, equivalent to starting a thread, and you get a 'right on', or an emoji :thumbsup:
It is buried in moments as someone with low self esteem posts a pic of their guitar on the bed, hoping for likes so that they can keep the rope under the same bed for another day
There are always negative snipes on any topic, which armchair bound millennials do for their own self esteem, like they’ve achieved something today, instead of having a wash and getting dressed
Comments are basically headlines as they are so limited on space. Not something I’m ever guilty of.
Hyperbole, on the other hand...

I spent a lot of time in the late 90s to 00s in message boards, of which the majority have died or become ghost towns. It’s only a matter of time for RT, this place ya been trickling down in activity for a long time. I’ve since become far more active in various FB groups and it does eeem to fill that same niche. If you’re a board guy, FB is a decent alternative. Some of the groups I’m in are more active than any of the message boards I still frequent.

Ventura":8za4gz80 said:
It's not a bad idea, but as you say, there are already a tonne of pages on FB for musos and gearheads. What I dig about typing "Rig-Talk" in my URL pane is I get to this site with no bullshit; no extra tag-alongs, no nonsense, and it's a place I'm super familiar with and have been with for a long long time. I don't dig FB because hey, even if I just wanted to log-in to play around with RT stuff, all that extra shit comes with it. It's a noisy crowded heavy-data platform.

I dig it here. Prefer it here. And outside of dabbling in that spin-off page with a similar format (can't even remember it now but it was created during the Brad King Defection days) that I have the same handle on, I just come here for the goods.

2 cents.

(edited for spelling error)

Very, very well said. As usual Uncle Mo!

I get everything I need right here. All my questions get answered and most important I feel comfortable asking questions here. Tons of good information and it's easy to search for just about anything you need. I haven't been here nearly as long as a lot of you guys but it feels to me like this site is pretty active. I would rather come here than the Facebook group any day.

Warning: Incoming FB rant...

Facebook has been in a death spiral for at least two years now......but in fairness so have many guitar related Internet Forums. I think the novelty for both has worn off for a lot of folks.

While I still have a Facebook account I use it less and less......and lately I've been toying with the idea of pulling my photos down and closing it permanently due to the security issues already mentioned in this thread. Facebook just really feels long in the tooth. It's just the same old dribble every day. To make matters worse, I only see FB posts from about the same dozen or so people even though I have hundreds of friends.

At least up here I can socialize with (and learn from) people who have the same interests I do. I really don't have much left in common with old high school buddies from 20 years ago.

Pentatonic":xoe6e067 said:

Facebook has been in a death spiral for at least two years now......but in fairness so have many guitar related Internet Forums. I think the novelty for both has worn off for a lot of folks.

While I still have a Facebook account I use it less and less......and lately I've been toying with the idea of pulling my photos down and closing it permanently due to the security issues already mentioned in this thread. Facebook just really feels long in the tooth. It's just the same old dribble every day. To make matters worse, I only see FB posts from about the same dozen or so people even though I have hundreds of friends.

At least up here I can socialize with (and learn from) people who have the same interests I do. I really don't have much left in common with old high school buddies from 20 years ago.

Hundreds of friends is part of why you don’t like FB. I kept it to the 25 people I actually know. It makes the experience a lot better.

psychodave":38bypabe said:
Pentatonic":38bypabe said:

Hundreds of friends is part of why you don’t like FB. I kept it to the 25 people I actually know. It makes the experience a lot better.

I use facebook to follow things related to guitar, guns and beer. Save for one anti-Beto o'rourke post, I don't think I've ever posted anything on FB outside of an interest group page. If it wasn't for my wife tagging me on stuff, I probably wouldn't have anything on my page. I have a bunch of FB friends who I've never actually met, I always think it'd be better if it was only people I personally knew, but most of those people don't every post anything on FB either so there wouldn't be much going on on my feed. lol

Back