Clean ch on a high gain amp_Who requires one ???

MetalHeadMike

Taking a poll here. How many of you would rather have a high gain amp with a clean ch VS. a high gain amp with two of the same overdrive ch or one slightly tweaked version of the same overdrive ch?

Would much rather have a second overdrive channel but of a different character. I've always liked volume roll off for clean and always felt a super clean channel is a waste of knobs and real estate on an amp. I don't mind clean channels that get rockin' past about 12'Oclock on the pre dial. A lot of clean channels though just sound broken when turned up as opposed to a nice overdrive

I always “think” I need an amp with a dedicated clean channel and almost never use it. So I’d be happy with a plexi channel and a rippin high gain channel

Crunch and lead, like a 5150.

I like a crunch channel set up so that it gets dirty when I spank it hard, and cleans up nice when I tickle it.

This is why I love the Cameron CCV so much. I can set channel 1 as clean and literally use it as a clean or use it with a pedal to get more gain (as much gain as channel 2 with the right pedal). Then channel 2 with the dual masters gives me two different gain options. Add in another pedal and it’s easily a 4 channel amp. If it didn’t have a clean, it would be severely limited.

It is odd because I don't play clean a ton but I always miss a true clean channel when I don't have one. I have no idea why! I'm even getting my EVH 5150 III modded for splitting channels 1 and 2.

Beyond Black":3o9ln8dy said:
rottingcorpse":3o9ln8dy said:
I'll play an acoustic if I want clean tone.

I don't own an acoustic.
:hys: :hys: :hys: :hys: :hys:

I know right :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for all the input people! I myself do not play clean, but think it would be nice to have a "clean" ch that can do decent low-mid gain for when the urge hits to play some blues/classic rock if it were offered on a particular amp. Having two identical OD channels or even having one very slightly tweaked version of the same OD ch seems a bit redundant, especially for someone like me that doesn't play leads. Besides if I do, I can smooth out the rhythm ch with pedals anyway so...

If it was strictly a 2 channel amp only, I'd want the lesser gain channel to be able to still go full hardcore and hairy, but be able to taper the gain to just a bit of fur so I could use my pots to clean it up. The 2nd channel would be nuclear. I love the Bogner Purple Mod TJ for this - the 1st channel was cleanable but could also go full-rage. And for a 2 channel amp - this is the best for me.

But that said?? I love - I mean absolutely fucking LOVE - an awesome clean channel on a multi-channel head. The 2 sweetest cleans for me are the Hagen and the 20thA Shiva - both for very different reasons - both jawdroppingly awesome.

So given the choice, I go dedicated clean.
If only a 2 channel head, the first gain channel needs the ability to clean up with the guitar's pots.

MetalHeadMike":3sweu2p1 said:
Taking a poll here. How many of you would rather have a high gain amp with a clean ch VS. a high gain amp with two of the same overdrive ch or one slightly tweaked version of the same overdrive ch?

My current amp (Super Hi 50) has two of the same OD channels. Well not really separate channels, but two switchable gains and two switchable masters and a switchable gain stage. So you can set one up as a clean or lower gain if you run one of the gains low and the 4th gain stage off. It's not bad

Something that I've learned over the years is that few amps give you the best of both clean and high gain(JP-2C does it, and a few others)....but it's always a compromise. I can see the need for both if folks want one amp to do it all and don't want to carry more gear.

If I had one amp only, YES I would have to have a good clean channel on it and a super high gain channel(these days, lots of 3 channel amps that do it). Clean sounds(no dirt) are very much a part of my style(from the icy crystal thrash type cleans like old Metallica and Testament-think hypnosis/musical death, to Holdsworth, Gilmour, to the massive classic rack cleans, Steve Stevens and Petrucci).

But in the end, it's 90-95% of the time a compromise if you want to get the best of both. I have the 2014 BE100 clean, I haven't upgraded to the new clean(is it buxom betty cleans?)....I'm finding that where I set the presence of the gain channels always gives me less sparkle than I'd like on the clean channel...so unless I'm willing to send the amp off...a second amp(or possibly a preamp) will be the way to go.

Ive run multiple amp setups for years, a Vox for cleans and whatever modded Marshall fits the tones we are after for that session, but I'm going to get one of the new BE100DLX's
as soon as they are available and give that a race test. The Plexi channel will be fine for cleans rolled off just a bit, Ive done that with Plexi's for years, I'll be able to use my efx and switching system through 1 loop and control everything with my switcher, so at least on paper it looks like it will make things a bit more seamless as opposed to using multiple amps, cabinets, efx chains, mikes and mike pre's into multiple channels of the interface. In the end, how it actually sounds will determine where I end up

I don't have any use for a amp that can not get clean. If I need more distortion there is always pedals that get more distortion than any amp can produce.

MetalHeadMike":372v082s said:
Beyond Black":372v082s said:
rottingcorpse":372v082s said:
I'll play an acoustic if I want clean tone.

I don't own an acoustic.
:hys: :hys: :hys: :hys: :hys:

I know right :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for all the input people! I myself do not play clean, but think it would be nice to have a "clean" ch that can do decent low-mid gain for when the urge hits to play some blues/classic rock if it were offered on a particular amp. Having two identical OD channels or even having one very slightly tweaked version of the same OD ch seems a bit redundant, especially for someone like me that doesn't play leads. Besides if I do, I can smooth out the rhythm ch with pedals anyway so...
That’s signature worthy! RC rules. :rock:

Back