Mesa TC vs JP-2C

kalt

So, been gassing for a Mesa Triple Crown for a while now but haven't been able to try one. Presently I've got a JP 2c and a Mark V. Love both and will likely never sell. I've also got a Friedman BE and a Marshall Jub which i will also likely hang on to forever. All of them do different things (for me anyway). All that said, I am wondering if a Mesa TC will be too much like what I already have?

Had several Diezels in the past, Suhr, CAA,etc. and while I dug those too, they just weren't ultimately the sound in my head.

I play mostly heavy rock, classic metal/rock and some blues. Don't really gig anymore, just for fun and home recording.

Any thoughts on the TC and how it compares to the other amps I have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I wouldn’t waste my money. You’ve got all the bases covered an to be honest that amp was a real let down.

LP Freak":203gqory said:
I wouldn’t waste my money. You’ve got all the bases covered an to be honest that amp was a real let down.
This. I’ve yet to hear a TC clip that even remotely piqued my interest.

I was really interested in the TC100 after they came out. I'm coming from Splawns, Friedmans, etc.

I was pretty underwhelmed by the Mesa TC. We played the 50 and 100. It wasn't bad, I was just expecting a little more from it. I'd stick with what you got.

I had a TC-100 for a short bit. Did not like it one bit and returned it. With the JP-2C, you have a fantastic amp. Keep it and enjoy! You have some nice amps with different sounds.

I haven't had a JP-2C. But I have had a few MKV's. I currently have a TC50. I think its a great amp. For me all mesa's shine in a band mix not so much sitting at home. The MKV's second channel was where it was at for me. Raw and punchy mid present. The TC50 has that just with a bit more gain! So, like others have stated you already have it covered.

I have not owned a TX but I demo'd it for a bit. Lackluster for mesa, which is not the norm for mesa.

Off topic but I have been gassing for a RA for a bit.

Wizard of Ozz":36wusnut said:
JP2C... and it's not even close.

Agreed, buddy of mine bought a TC-100 for that "mesa" sound but something different then what i have. We then compared it to my JP2C and it was not even close. He sold the TC-100 and bought a JP2C.

I am wanting a JP2C but I can't justify what they go for atm. I will probably pick up a mkiii one of these days.

I love my TC100. All 3 channels have more of a Bogner vibe than a typical Mesa and the head really cuts through in both my bands. The tight/normal switches on each channel also make the amp adaptable to a wide variety of tones depending on what you want.

DragonCrestPC":3hnr40kx said:
Wizard of Ozz":3hnr40kx said:
JP2C... and it's not even close.

Agreed, buddy of mine bought a TC-100 for that "mesa" sound but something different then what i have. We then compared it to my JP2C and it was not even close. He sold the TC-100 and bought a JP2C.

IMO, anyone who buys a TC looking for that “Mesa” sound bought the wrong amp. It’s like buying a LoneStar, plugging in a Jackson V and complaining it doesn’t crush skulls.

I bought a TC-50, sold my Mark and Recto, then bought a second TC-50. It does a lot of things well but it’s not going to out Mark a Mark or out Recto a Recto. That said, neither of those amps can out TC a TC, which is why I sold them.

YMMV

I really liked the TC50 I played. It didn’t have the massiveness of a recto or the searing attack of my Mark but it has a nice growly, angry rock sound and was tight. I have a clip somewhere of my buddy playing it loud and it really sounds great. Nice snarl and a different take on the Mesa tone. I think it sounds like a leaner Electra Dyne.

I’ve had 3 Stilettos, 3 Dual Recs, .50 Caliber, TA15, Blue Angel, Maverick, F-100, Mark V, Electradyne, Express 5:50, Studio Preamp, Tremoverb, RA100...that’s all I can remember...I have no clue what the ‘Mesa sound’ is.

tallcoolone":2901frqi said:
I’ve had 3 Stilettos, 3 Dual Recs, .50 Caliber, TA15, Blue Angel, Maverick, F-100, Mark V, Electradyne, Express 5:50, Studio Preamp, Tremoverb, RA100...that’s all I can remember...I have no clue what the ‘Mesa sound’ is.
Cool story bro. :confused:

Don't think some dude's comment was directed at you, since you didn't even participated before in this thread.

Care to share YOUR opinion of the TC-50/TC-100 then, longchillyone?

I tried the TC100 out and thought it was cool. I think a boost in front of it would make it quite brutal.

Speeddemon":2008y687 said:
tallcoolone":2008y687 said:
Cool story bro. :confused:

Don't think some dude's comment was directed at you, since you didn't even participated before in this thread.

Care to share YOUR opinion of the TC-50/TC-100 then, longchillyone?
Didn’t know I needed the “demon’s” permission to post here, my apologies.

I’ve had the TC-50 for a week and haven’t been able to play it live or even with a drummer so I really can’t give it a real ‘review’ but so far I am a huge fan of the blue channel. I find it very JMP like—punchy but not too tubby, which is what I didn’T like about the Electradyne. Wasn’t a huge fan of the RA either but that one I think was just a taste thing. And a size thing—that head is a frikking behemoth.

Never had the JP but I did use a Mark V for a good year. Apples and oranges. Although I do feel as though the MV can do a lot of things. Actually that was why I moved on—I could get a great tone out of it but I always felt it was overkill for what I did. I think you can prob dial in a TC type tone on the MV but the TC just does a few things. So far I think it does them well, but let’s see how it cuts.

I didn’t believe I was disparaging anyone or their opinions—just saying that pigeonholing Mesa’s historical lineup into some signature sound is pretty confusing to me since they probably have put out the most varied collection of amps of any major amp manufacturer I’ve ever looked into.

Back