PRS MT15 vs Mesa Mini Rectifier

Rex Rocker

Anyone with experience with both? Which is louder? Which sounds bigger? Which records better? Which sounds better at low volumes? Can either hang in a full-band scenario? What's the low-end like on both? Are they anything alike?

Thanks. :)

No experience with the MT, but owned the Mini Recto, twice. I loved that amp. Just needed an EQ in the loop to bump the lows. Great little amp, built quality is top-notch. Personally, if I was in the market for THAT kind of tone, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I just bought the MT 15 for the 3rd time (yes 3x) haha. It has no shortage of low end grind that's for sure but I haven't A/b'd it against a Mini Recto. The MT 15 with 6L6's as opposed to the EL84s I feel has the advantage for low end thump and overall fullness. It also gets loud as hell super quick on the dial and there is no shortage of gain. Like I said I've never tried the Mini-Rec but for the cost difference their is, I would go out on a limb and say the MT 15 is the better deal.

I'm also interested in hearing people's views about the comparison. I have a mini Mark V and I really like it, was planning to pick up either an MT-15 or a Mini Rectifier and running them in a stereo setup. Was figuring it would be about 30-40 watts in terms of total loudness, which is more than enough for my situation. Plus easy to grab both and a couple of 1x12s for a gig.

I've not tried the MT-15, but I didn't like the Mini Recto. It seemed a bit buzzy or fizzy to me and didn't have that Recto growl or low end that I associate with the Rectifier. That said, maybe my expectations polluted the experience: it may be a fine amp, but it seemed very different from the bigger Rectos.

I have tried the mini rec, it was underwhelming for me. Especially for the money you are spending its a downer. A little fizzy and IMO the low end was weak. Have not tried the MT15 so I can't comment there.

Never tried the MT15 but I found the mini recto thin and buzzy, and lacking tight low end Based on that I would go MT 15. I found EL84 amps don't have the stong bottom end. The MT 15 has 6L6's and from what I read and hear it has plenty of thump.

I have the MT15 and matching 1x12 cab. Its really loud, and has lots of gain and low end. I have found its not a very bright amp, so I usually run the treble higher than I ordinarily would on other amps. The FX loop works well...overall its a really nice little rig. No experience with the Mesa.

Thank you guys for the replies. I'm having the same problem with low-end with my EVH LBX as you guys mentions with the Mini Recto. It does have low-end, it just looses all sense of depth and chest-thump as soon as you turn it up.

What kind of money are you looking to spend? Is used ok? I assume you play rock/metal. What is your application? Gigging miked? Unmiked? At home for recording? Do you use a cab Sim, attenuator, etc?

Rex Rocker":38pn2ayt said:
Thank you guys for the replies. I'm having the same problem with low-end with my EVH LBX as you guys mentions with the Mini Recto. It does have low-end, it just looses all sense of depth and chest-thump as soon as you turn it up.

You need bigger bottles. Some 6L6's should get you there. EVH 50 watt or the MT15.

BrokenFusion":3tkjpkfr said:
Rex Rocker":3tkjpkfr said:

You need bigger bottles. Some 6L6's should get you there. EVH 50 watt or the MT15.
My MT-15 was the same way. I turned it up loud and it lost it's low end and the mids spiked. Sounded great up until then though. The EVH 50 eats it alive, especially for it's price used.

Beyond Black":2iicwicb said:
BrokenFusion":2iicwicb said:
Rex Rocker":2iicwicb said:

My MT-15 was the same way. I turned it up loud and it lost it's low end and the mids spiked. Sounded great up until then though. The EVH 50 eats it alive, especially for it's price used.

I tell everyone the same thing, who ask for low volume/low watt recommendations. Get the 50 watt EVH, and be done with it. The master volume works beautifully, and the tones at low volume are fantastic. It actually blows away the LBX for these applications, (I had one).

For $600-$700 used, it's a no-brainer. And, it's loud as shit, when needed.

napalmdeath":1qjz55rp said:
Beyond Black":1qjz55rp said:
BrokenFusion":1qjz55rp said:
Rex Rocker":1qjz55rp said:

I tell everyone the same thing, who ask for low volume/low watt recommendations. Get the 50 watt EVH, and be done with it. The master volume works beautifully, and the tones at low volume are fantastic. It actually blows away the LBX for these applications, (I had one).

For $600-$700 used, it's a no-brainer. And, it's loud as shit, when needed.

I agree with this. If you want high gain and the reality of being loud while still being able to be quiet just get the 5153 50w.

Even if you are space conscious it can drive your average 1x12" and fit on top.

Out of those 2 choices, the MT15 is better imo. It's very fucking loud for a 15w amp. iirc they said they'd only have to change a few components to make a 50w version of it since it's already pushing 6L6 tubes and has a pretty decent sized tranny. It has pretty good cleans and great high gain tones (kind of recto flavored minus the fizz).

Back