NPD VFE Dragon + clips

Nice man! I just grabbed a dragon too and the first few times weren't love at 1st play TBH. After tweaking my amp settings and playing with the pedal I'm really digging it. It's taken the Wizard to a whole other place in terms of saturation which none of my other ODs have been capable of. No other OD I've have required changes to the amp's settings like the dragon did, but once I figured that out it's been pretty damn cool.

MetalHeadMike":1usi5g5z said:
Nice man! I just grabbed a dragon too and the first few times weren't love at 1st play TBH. After tweaking my amp settings and playing with the pedal I'm really digging it. It's taken the Wizard to a whole other place in terms of saturation which none of my other ODs have been capable of. No other OD I've have required changes to the amp's settings like the dragon did, but once I figured that out it's been pretty damn cool.
Yeah I totally agree! It needs new settings and it takes some time before you figure out how it works well with ur amp! I am really surprised! If only I could find a standout!

Good to hear! Don’t forget you can adjust the compression with the trim pot inside. I turned it on max compression...

Both the Dragon and Standout rule. There is some overlap between them but they also each have their own flavor. The nicest thing about them is that there is so much adjustment range, you can get some really extreme sounds but also dial them in to be a very transparent boost if you want.

psychodave":21h4bsbm said:
Good to hear! Don’t forget you can adjust the compression with the trim pot inside. I turned it on max compression...
Thx a lot for demoing them! Otherwise I wouldnt have bought it! Oh I got overexcited and completely forgot about the compression thing! I'll try that later today!

Mad Axe":195c0olf said:
Both the Dragon and Standout rule. There is some overlap between them but they also each have their own flavor. The nicest thing about them is that there is so much adjustment range, you can get some really extreme sounds but also dial them in to be a very transparent boost if you want.
Totally true about the boost!

sotosprince":1h3zgay7 said:
psychodave":1h3zgay7 said:
Thx a lot for demoing them! Otherwise I wouldnt have bought it! Oh I got overexcited and completely forgot about the compression thing! I'll try that later today!

You’re going to be in for an awakening, haha. The internal compression pot really shapes the pedal. Follow up with your thought on it. Like I mentioned earlier, I turned it completely for the most compression. A friend of mine set it low for more rock style.

psychodave":3w12e257 said:
sotosprince":3w12e257 said:
psychodave":3w12e257 said:

You’re going to be in for an awakening, haha. The internal compression pot really shapes the pedal. Follow up with your thought on it. Like I mentioned earlier, I turned it completely for the most compression. A friend of mine set it low for more rock style.
Ur a legend, man! Thx a lot for everything! So far I am loving it! I'll be experimenting a lot today haha

psychodave":1rjk7jo7 said:
sotosprince":1rjk7jo7 said:
psychodave":1rjk7jo7 said:

That compression pot does make a huge difference. At first I wasn’t sure how I liked it, then remembered the trim pot. I ended up turning it down all the way but I have the pedal set with the drive extremely low and level almost maxed to slam the front of my amp.

Mad Axe":1zapza4v said:
psychodave":1zapza4v said:
sotosprince":1zapza4v said:
psychodave":1zapza4v said:

That compression pot does make a huge difference. At first I wasn’t sure how I liked it, then remembered the trim pot. I ended up turning it down all the way but I have the pedal set with the drive extremely low and level almost maxed to slam the front of my amp.
I have yet to experiment with the trim pot! I need to find an appropriate screwdriver to remove the back plate of the pedal!

Mad Axe":309beihe said:
psychodave":309beihe said:
sotosprince":309beihe said:
psychodave":309beihe said:

I didn't notice that much of a difference with the trim pot and wound up setting it in the middle. Maybe that's because I was turning knobs so much :dunno: I'll have to play with it again and a/b without turning the other knobs.

I haven't even tried it with the other amps but my ears still are having a hard time believing how saturated it gets the Wizard. Compared to the 6 other ODs I have on hand, the dragon's level of gain and saturation is significantly higher all while remaining super tight, punchy, and articulate.

There does seem to be some settings that get you into this really un-natural/processed cocked wah nasally mids territory. That's what was turning me off when I first started messing with the pedal and it took some drastic changes on the amp in conjunction with the pedal settings to dial that out. It's taken this amp to a completely new level :rock:

MetalHeadMike":2uhttxv5 said:
Mad Axe":2uhttxv5 said:
psychodave":2uhttxv5 said:
sotosprince":2uhttxv5 said:
psychodave":2uhttxv5 said:

I didn't notice that much of a difference with the trim pot and wound up setting it in the middle. Maybe that's because I was turning knobs so much :dunno: I'll have to play with it again and a/b without turning the other knobs.

I haven't even tried it with the other amps but my ears still are having a hard time believing how saturated it gets the Wizard. Compared to the 6 other ODs I have on hand, the dragon's level of gain and saturation is significantly higher all while remaining super tight and articulate.

There does seem to be some settings that get you into this really un-natural/processed cocked wah nasally mids territory. That's what was turning me off when I first started messing with the pedal and it took some drastic changes on the amp in conjunction with the pedal settings to dial that out. It's taken this amp to a completely new level :rock:
Hell yeah bro! Best od I've ever tried for sure! I haven't tried it at the studio but when recording my mark III using the suhr + torpedo = mayhem! I think ur last sentence sums up the pedal... It's taken this amp to a completely new level

sotosprince":1qfscpjl said:
Mad Axe":1qfscpjl said:
psychodave":1qfscpjl said:
sotosprince":1qfscpjl said:
psychodave":1qfscpjl said:

I have yet to experiment with the trim pot! I need to find an appropriate screwdriver to remove the back plate of the pedal!

Did you tinker with the pot yet?

psychodave":9q2li8u0 said:
sotosprince":9q2li8u0 said:
Mad Axe":9q2li8u0 said:
sotosprince":9q2li8u0 said:

Not yet! Damn, I haven't found the right screwdriver! :doh: :doh: :doh:

sotosprince":1xmiyrsz said:
psychodave":1xmiyrsz said:
Mad Axe":1xmiyrsz said:

There is no excuse for that. ? I probably have a hundred screw drivers in my shop. Lol.

sotosprince":21w2t6jc said:
psychodave":21w2t6jc said:
Mad Axe":21w2t6jc said:

Dude...it's a phillips for crying out loud :LOL: :LOL:

MetalHeadMike":2k0s7lw4 said:
sotosprince":2k0s7lw4 said:
psychodave":2k0s7lw4 said:
Mad Axe":2k0s7lw4 said:

Dude...it's a phillips for crying out loud :LOL: :LOL:

He could use a butter knife... :LOL: :LOL:

Back