Scumback J75 with V30 Question?

Emg77

Just picked up a pair of J75 LD's. They are 100 watt speakers which I was concerned with to begin with. I loaded them into a 2x12 and they sound a bit gravely (if that makes sense) until I get them cranking "which is what my concern was to begin with." Does the larger power handling need more watts to get them moving? Or is this a characteristic of J75. It almost seems that they are not broken in. At any rate they are not going to work with my 2x12. So, I was planning on loading them into my 4x12 with a pair of vintage 30's. Any advice on whether they should go in an x pattern or top bottom config? Does the 60 watt with 100 watt still create too much of inefficiency?

Thanks !

Gravely? Hmm, time to check how tight your mounting bolts are, they may be too tight. Instructions below.

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/mount.html

How to install your speakers for maximum tonal enjoyment.

When mounting your speakers, use caution. Vintage style frames (thinner) require that you mount the speakers using an X pattern method.

A) Tighten all bolts/screws finger tight till the bolt meets back of the speaker frame.

B) Hand tighten in a cross frame or X pattern like a head gasket on a car engine. DO NOT TIGHTEN in a clock-wise circular fashion as you can warp the frame.

C) Tighten 1/4 turn on each bolt in an X pattern in one pass, then the other 1/4 to 1/2 successive turns in successive passes. This will compress the gasket enough to ensure a proper seal, and without warping the frame. I recommend no more than 1 full turn after the bolt meets the back of the frame, usually 2/3 to 3/4 is good.

Failure to do this could result in a damaged cone, bent frame, or unusually high shrill, or muddy bass noises from over-tightening.
DO NOT USE AN ELECTRIC DRILL SET TO A TORQUE SETTING!

The J75-LD is a cross between the M & H type speakers with a large dust cap. So it has a lot of the M75 mids, but more bass and upper mids due to the heavier magnet. It won't have the high end the heavy magnet V30, and since the V30 has a small dust cap, trying to EQ the sound between the large dust cap and small dust cap will be tough. That's because the large dust cap rounds off the high end slightly, while the small dust cap on the V30 doesn't.

I never recommend mixing small dust cap and large dust cap speakers due to this. But hey, I've been wrong before, so try it. I'd put the J75-LD on top, V30's on the bottom.

Good luck!

Jim

Thanks Jim,

No, I installed them as instructed above. Sometimes my mind tells me they are too loose! lol. The adjective of gravely was the only thing I could come up with to describe. This is only at low volumes when I get them up in volume they sound great. Thanks for the recommendation!

Back