NPD Suhr Koko Boost Reloaded

sluice

First impression : only got to use it in front of my Soldano SLO for an hour and wow!

Can't wait to see what it will do in front of my Wizard MC (It's currently getting re-tolexed)

Will post more of my thoughts once I have got to play with it more so far I'm very pleased!

I love the Koko boost. I have the two button model though I’ve had the reloaded too. Sounds great with Wizards. Even the much vaunted VFE Standout couldn’t knock it off the board with my Wizards.

mhenson42":2yn4dhxn said:
I love the Koko boost. I have the two button model though I’ve had the reloaded too. Sounds great with Wizards. Even the much vaunted VFE Standout couldn’t knock it off the board with my Wizards.

Wow that's good to hear! I was initially searching for an impossible to find Standout and went with a Koko for this reason. No regrets!

Congrats!

I recently grabbed an original Koko and it sounds really good with the MCII. I am surprised at how much gain it has and how hard it can drive the front end. Definitely adds something different that the other ODs don't. I just picked up a dragon and its taken the Wizard to a place I didn't think possible after trying 6 different ODs with it.

MetalHeadMike":1pbmusx5 said:
Congrats!

I recently grabbed an original Koko and it sounds really good with the MCII. I am surprised at how much gain it has and how hard it can drive the front end. Definitely adds something different that the other ODs don't. I just picked up a dragon and its taken the Wizard to a place I didn't think possible after trying 6 different ODs with it.

Do you mind listing all ODs you've tried and which ones you liked/didn't.

:rock:

sluice":6n5sey6e said:
MetalHeadMike":6n5sey6e said:
Congrats!

Do you mind listing all ODs you've tried and which ones you liked/didn't.

:rock:

Ts9dx turbo
Timmy (newer version)
Savage drive
Koko
Duncan 805
Buxom boost
VFE dragon

I like them all actually.

The Ts9 was the 1st OD I ever bought like 7-8 years ago and it's all I used up until this last year. Just didn't want to go down the pedal rabbit hole. It works great for amps that are already super saturated and that have a huge low end like the Uber or Dual Recto.

I think the dragon saturates like nothing else I have while staying tight and articulate. So much adjustment available.

All these pedals sound wonderful through the Wizard; it just eats pedals and each sounds unique through that amp. Its like they just become part of the amp and are meant to be there. Each brings a unique flavor with the amp but the dragon just gets it to a place was beginning to think wasn't possible because of the MCII's inherent open gain structure.

I really like the Buxom and the 805 though too!

sluice":st4f9xnn said:
First impression : only got to use it in front of my Soldano SLO for an hour and wow!

Can't wait to see what it will do in front of my Wizard MC (It's currently getting re-tolexed)

Will post more of my thoughts once I have got to play with it more so far I'm very pleased!
If you don’t mind me asking, who’s doing tolex job?
I want a new shell, but Rick has none apparently.

Devilinside":lm41ikfj said:
sluice":lm41ikfj said:

Can’t you order one from Rick and wait for it to be built? Or will he not sell an empty shell?

mhenson42

You have probably one of the most refined and semi minimalistic collections I have seen. Daymnnnn. Props!

mhenson42":ph4lszh2 said:
Devilinside":ph4lszh2 said:
sluice":ph4lszh2 said:

Can’t you order one from Rick and wait for it to be built? Or will he not sell an empty shell?
Nope. He pretty much said he didn’t have backstock on shells. Didn’t seem real interested.

swamptrashstompboxes":iqjqerez said:
mhenson42

You have probably one of the most refined and semi minimalistic collections I have seen. Daymnnnn. Props!

Thanks man! I keep telling my wife it’s minimalistic, but she’s not buying it. Lol

At this point I know what I like and I’m sticking with it. :rock:

mhenson42":2e7geng0 said:
swamptrashstompboxes":2e7geng0 said:
mhenson42

Thanks man! I keep telling my wife it’s minimalistic, but she’s not buying it. Lol

At this point I know what I like and I’m sticking with it. :rock:

There is something to be said about that. I am all over the ballpark,but my needs are somewhat eclectic and eccentric. I feel that I need a massive variety, ss plugging into something different gives me different inspiration sometimes. Or maybe I am making excuses ?. Who knows.

I’ve used the Koko after a couple different boosts and OD pedals to add just a slightly different flavor, I found it works great for that and a clean boost on its own. Cool pedal.

Great to see some love for this pedal. I've been happy with this on my board for a long time. I recently A/B'ed it against the Buxom Boost. The Buxom was cool, but the Koko just gives me what I need. The Buxom went back.
:)

mhenson42":3fdtsrkr said:

From the looks of the Koko boost, it's more similar to the VFE Rocket, which is a parametric mid booster. They look a little different, though. The Koko looks like it has a separate clean boost mode, whereas the Rocket just has one mode, which conceivably could do either a pure clean boost or a parametric mid boost. And the Rocket has a sweepable midrange and additional shelving filters for the bass and treble.

I never looked into the Koko boost before. It looks killer; kinda wish I had bothered to check it out a few weeks ago before I went on an ill-advised pedal binge. Oh well.

El Mariachi":2ouzaq2a said:
Great to see some love for this pedal. I've been happy with this on my board for a long time. I recently A/B'ed it against the Buxom Boost. The Buxom was cool, but the Koko just gives me what I need. The Buxom went back.
:)
Yep, my old koko has sent many packing including a buxom, and a VFE

My original Koko is the pedal that all others have been judged on for years now. I also have the Reloaded. Both are great and keepers.

Interesting. The koko has been highly regarded for a long time. Does it offer as much boost in forms of DBs or is it primarily the tone that it pushes the amp into? Not doubting , does it bring more gain? Thanks

Beandust":1o7e5zc9 said:
Interesting. The koko has been highly regarded for a long time. Does it offer as much boost in forms of DBs or is it primarily the tone that it pushes the amp into? Not doubting , does it bring more gain? Thanks
All I know is mine is never over 9 o’clock but is always necessary

Devilinside":1cwmuq2g said:
Beandust":1cwmuq2g said:
All I know is mine is never over 9 o’clock but is always necessary

Mine isn’t in all the time, but when it is, it’s at 9:00 as well. I really only use the mid-boost side.

Back