What pedal am I looking for - please read description.

Rick Lee

My favorite pedal is my Friedman Dirty Shirley. I'm a Marshall guy and usually need this pedal to get my tone. I generally run my Marshalls pretty clean and have the internal gain trim pot on my DS pedal turned all the way down and the external gain pot a little above 0. But I need a boost for solos. Lately I've been using a Fulltone OCD, but feels like a stopgap measure.

Yesterday I got a Friedman BE-OD Deluxe. But even turning the internal gain trim pots to 0 and cranking the volume on the blue channel, I'm just not sure it's my tone. Been looking at the Xotic BB Preamp, the EP Booster (had one long ago), even an MXR 10 band EQ. If Dave would make a DS version of the BE-OD Deluxe, I'd buy the first one. But I just don't know what to get. I'll take the BE to band practice today and run it through my beater DSL50 head.

What pedal am I looking for?

I cant say enough good things about this pedal. I like this version best.

hpKcdqE.jpg

Just checked that out on Youtube. It's definitely in my tone direction. But I still something with a boost or two channel feature.

What don't you like about the BE? Have you tried a true clean boost (like the CAE line driver) with your DS pedal to just add more gain/saturation without changing to tone too much?

cardinal":1eekwbuj said:
What don't you like about the BE? Have you tried a true clean boost (like the CAE line driver) with your DS pedal to just add more gain/saturation without changing to tone too much?

I must admit I do not have enough time on it yet, maybe 45-60 minutes. Just got it yesterday. But I'm not real patient about dialing in tone. If I can't find it pretty quickly, I start looking elsewhere. I was kind of hoping that, with gain all the way down, I'd be in DS territory and then use the other channel with identical settings except higher volume. That ain't doing it so far. But I'll be at band practice in an hour and we play super loud, so I'll try a bunch of settings and tweaks.

If your Marshall is set mostly clean and you want just a volume boost, I'd try a clean boost pedal after your DS pedal. The EP Booster might work. The CAE Line Driver works as well. They are not meant to color the signal, just boost the decibels. If your Marshall is running cleanish, it might have enough headroom left for the clean boost to increase the volume without changing the tone much.

napalmdeath":13iorn8r said:
Doesn't sound like a pedal is your issue.

Gotta agree there.

If you want a clean boost the CAE is nice. I have not owned one, but I have played on one a few times.

I have built a handful of Zvex SHO's and they are a decent clean boost IMO. not as transparent as the CAE though.

I had the CAE line driver and thought it was pretty good.. I went back to a Boss GE7, just offers a little lift without compression.. which is important for me. I just did a quick clip with the ge7

Ok, just came back. I'm a little happier now. I was running a stock JCM2000 DSL50 through a 2x12 with 75s in it. I only use the green channel on my DSLs. I wear earplugs, so I know that filters out some high end. But I got it sounding right and the boost was good. It seemed to get real quiet a few times, but I'm wondering if I hit the volume knob with my foot when hitting other pedals, since this one takes up a new spot on my pedalboard. Next time Mrs. Lee is out of the house, I'll log a few more hours with this and my other Marshalls and my new Mojotone 4x12 with WGS Invaders, which aren't fully broken in yet. Yeah, I shouldn't complain about the gear when I don't like the tone. I really like my gear, so it's all on me to make it sound right.

Back