Metallica doing something New

Yeah when I saw them a few years back, Lars was rough. You'd think a dude playing as long as he has could consistently hit a damn kick drum, but alas. And you got his contemporaries like Tom Hunting doing this killer shit:

thrashinbatman":1vi68h5g said:
Yeah when I saw them a few years back, Lars was rough. You'd think a dude playing as long as he has could consistently hit a damn kick drum, but alas. And you got his contemporaries like Tom Hunting doing this killer shit:

That was badass!!

Yeah, I definitely a result of the Load/Reload years and a more straight ahead rock sound. I get all of the frustration, etc. people have but I guess I'm just glad that they didn't end everything back when Jason left. If my final memories of Metallica were the "Until it Sleeps" video and them looking like "U2", I don't think I would have ever got a good night's sleep or been able to eat solid foods again.

Isn’t it weird in that Tom Hunting vid that the audience is standing totally still? Why aren’t they moving?

There’s a difference between people like Hunting, Lombardo, Gene etc who are age wise contemporaries. They wanted to be amazing drummers. Lars wanted to be in a band. Drumming was just the way in. He’s a super fan who got by on sheer exuberance and some ability. I doubt he touches drums unless they’re getting ready to demo and record or to warm up for going on tour. I think recently he”s paid more attention to it but for 20 plus years he was probably more interested in going to art gallery showings than woodshedding to getting his bass drum to sound like anything but a 3 legged Elephant with gout.

skoora":3pblagu9 said:
Isn’t it weird in that Tom Hunting vid that the audience is standing totally still? Why aren’t they moving?

There’s a difference between people like Hunting, Lombardo, Gene etc who are age wise contemporaries. They wanted to be amazing drummers. Lars wanted to be in a band. Drumming was just the way in. He’s a super fan who got by on sheer exuberance and some ability. I doubt he touches drums unless they’re getting ready to demo and record or to warm up for going on tour. I think recently he”s paid more attention to it but for 20 plus years he was probably more interested in going to art gallery showings than woodshedding to getting his bass drum to sound like anything but a 3 legged Elephant with gout.
His dad's big bank account was his way in. I've heard rumours for years that there were ghost drummers on some of their old stuff, after watching live videos it certainly makes one wonder.

Fordman65":1pgoi119 said:
One thing I find interesting. Guys say they're a pre-black album person and hate everything after that. So common. You never read a guy being post-back album and hating everything that came before it. One way street there.

Thought this performance was ok. I agree that the stage feels too big, but when you play in front of 70k people (which were all have experience doing) I'm not sure what the alternative is.

nailed it

it always amazes me the people who think they suck since the black album still feel the need to comment ...... personally If a band I like makes a couple of albums that I hate then I totally check out from them. Don't go and see them, don't watch shit on you tube, don't comment on things posted about them

I guess i'm unique :LOL: :LOL:

Kapo_Polenton":1qqiselv said:
I hate everything about these guys now. They bore me. So much I can't even listen to anything live for more than a few minutes. I thought Lars was terrible here and Kirk sucked as usual. It just isn't tight anymore except for James. I think the stage is way too big and looks empty, I much prefer an old school back drop and them facing out. Oh, for the record, I thought the Black album was different, but it was really good. Had a great heavy groove to it. Everything else though.... meh.

so why click on a link and comment? .. that alone tells me you care about them and want "your band back" :doh:

dude just check out and let them be free .... plenty of other bands out there to love :LOL: :LOL:

Pre Black and Black to post were very different. Could have been a totally different band. I am not going to tear Metallica to pieces, but they made some degree of conscious shift of direction in that era. I have no problem loving pre black and not liking black and later. They changed.

skoora":2cjn5a2a said:

Nope not weird at all, you know why? Because the majority of fans that go to shows now and f'ing clueless on what a show is. I went to Whitesnake a few years ago and was the only one in the audience not holding up a phone to record the whole damn song. Next show you go to, turn around and face the audience. You'll swear you were getting ready to film a shot for "Walking Dead".

The Elephant gout comment was hilarous BTW. LOL! I know people hate Lars but back in the day he actually could play and still did the double bass live, drumrolls, etc.

Anything post-puppets just doesn't interest my ears,

James and Robert are the only reason I'll go check them out live, they are solid musicians. Kirk and Lars just feel like they hold back the band from being tight. If they replaced them with session dudes for live.... I'd probably not be too mad :confused:

Racerxrated":394gu8a4 said:
glip22":394gu8a4 said:
Cannot deny they are great! Considering their personalities, it's amazing they have been together for so long.
The video posted sounds great! I still can't put my finger exactly on what I heard and felt recently when I saw them.
It's not their playing, stage presence, or vocals. All of that was phenomenal.
What was so disconcerting is it felt like we were watching them through a barrier of some sort. We've seen many shows in the same venue which is an excellent arena for sound. The sound system their can knock walls down.
With Metallica, it was like they were very far away. There was no punch or power at all; a real disconnect between the fans and the group. The whole point of seeing a group live is to connect with them.
As much as I grew up and love Metallica I would never see them live again. Unfortunately, it was a waste of effort and money.
I just do not get it. They have to know they sound weak as hell live. They should turn up the wattage.
It's easy to say "gotta be the AXE FX" when you read the reviews of their live shows..but I've seen a few bands using the AXE and they sounded GREAT. Gotta be the sound system/sound guy..and at their level, that is inexcusable.
Fire the guy and start over..PA and everything.
They've had the same sound guy starting with the MOP tour until now. I don't know what happened. They used to sound absolutely incredible. Maybe he's lost his hearing after all these years lol.

madrigal77":16pzfa93 said:
They've had the same sound guy starting with the MOP tour until now. I don't know what happened. They used to sound absolutely incredible. Maybe he's lost his hearing after all these years lol.

Yeah, I don't get it but I know that the sound has fluctuated depending on what show you are at. I've heard people say at the show they attended, it was the best they have ever heard the band. When I went to Pittsburgh, from my seats it started absolutely horrible and thankfully became listenable. The thing that sucks is that it is a P.A. issue. They are using the Fractals at every show so it is exactly the same setup. I know arenas from town to town have different acoustics but to not be able to hear any vocals to start a show and for it to be so quiet that I could talk to my friend like we were sitting in a library was just ridiculous.

Metallica is my favorite band and I've seen them twice and both times was disappointed compared to other shows I've been to. What sucks is that back in 86', I was living in Germany and my friends and I were talking about seeing Metallica, literally coming thru in a few weeks. I could have seen them at the top of their game. They were coming Oct 1st and you know what happened in September. I must have bad luck with bands. Missed Motley Crue in Germany when Nikki Sixx overdosed and they cancelled the tour and missed AC/DC a few years ago (by two weeks) when Brian Johnson blew out his eardrums and they cancelled the show. I should stay clear of shows. LOL

RaceU4her":2h5homc7 said:
i really gotta know what you guys are smoking that think thats a good performance? im as a big a metallica fan as anyone but this is laughably bad and its not the axefx's fault
I'm partially with ya too.

Look at the tempo fluctuations during the choruses. It's like James is intentionally skipping some beats/strokes to make up for Lars' expected sloppiness there.
That being said, it's great that they play such a badass song again and as others have pointed out, Lars is doing better than a while ago.

For me, the Black Album was the first one I came in contact with and worked my way backwards through their albums, with RTL and MOP being faves.
I still enjoy the Black Album; great teenage memories (throwing thick pieces of sausage at a garage door with friends to make it look like small birds committed kamikaze-like suicide while headbanging to Sad But True.... oh well...you'd have to be there I guess... :LOL: :LOL: ), the production is stellar and there is some heavy shit on it. Did not care for the 3 albums after that, but I felt with Death Magnetic they were back on track somewhat, and Hardwired... was better still.

Back