David Gilmour's guitar auction raises over $21M

311splawndude

In lighter news....

David Gilmour's guitar auction raises over $21M. If you were not aware he gave up 120 of his guitars including his famous Black Strat to charity. The charity auction was yesterday. I don't think it states who had the highest bid on the Black Strat but that guitar was almost $4M - making it the highest ever paid for a guitar I believe. The article below has some more detail and lists out what some of his other guitars went for. In a previous article he talked about how he hopes that the guitars go to musicians who will actually play them and maybe even record with them - vs sitting behind glass somewhere. The guy is a class act.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... story.html

How cool.

Jim Irsay, owner of the Indianapolis colts, bought the black Strat, the case, and the Martin acoustic used on SOYCD.

SOYCD? What's a SCODY or whatever. I am writing a song about how everything is abrv.

I think it stands for annoying.

I came up from Florida to see the guitars. This was a highlight of my life, no joke. I can't believe how close to the guitars you were allowed to get. I could smell them.

6caJuJz.jpg

The CAR Strat was what I was there to see. I stood by that one for probably 20 minutes, just soaking in being inches away from it. My fiancee realized that I really wanted to touch it, so she kept lookout and nudged me when the room attendant had his back to me and I put my forefinger on it for just a second, not even hard enough to move it. I can die happy now.

DmHqBpp.jpg

They had one of his NOS signature models that you could put on and take pics with. I doubt he ever played it, but still cool enough that I got to play a guitar owned by GIlmour for a minute.

ZkzOKr9.jpg

RevDrucifer":26ydjriy said:
I came up from Florida to see the guitars. This was a highlight of my life, no joke. I can't believe how close to the guitars you were allowed to get. I could smell them.

6caJuJzl.jpg

The CAR Strat was what I was there to see. I stood by that one for probably 20 minutes, just soaking in being inches away from it. My fiancee realized that I really wanted to touch it, so she kept lookout and nudged me when the room attendant had his back to me and I put my forefinger on it for just a second, not even hard enough to move it. I can die happy now.

DmHqBppl.jpg

They had one of his NOS signature models that you could put on and take pics with. I doubt he ever played it, but still cool enough that I got to play a guitar owned by GIlmour for a minute.

ZkzOKr9l.jpg

^ Very cool. Thanks for sharing that :cheers:

The dude is a legend. Comfortably Numb solo is his best IMO.

311splawndude":jktzqim6 said:
RevDrucifer":jktzqim6 said:

6caJuJzl.jpg

DmHqBppl.jpg

ZkzOKr9l.jpg

^ Very cool. Thanks for sharing that :cheers:

The dude is a legend. Comfortably Numb solo is his best IMO.
:thumbsup:
We used to play the live version(post Waters), man that solo was a blast to play and the song I looked forward to most. You can go off on a tangent and still end up right where you need to be lol.

Holy crap that is awesome!! Man, I get chills just seeing those guitars.

That is amazing how much that Strat went for and totally agree how he is a class act and unselfish for doing something like that. Celebrities don't realize sometimes what an impact they can make on a lot of things. Look at Jon Stewart recently with the 9/11 hearings and how he was able to be a voice for those first responders.

With so many self-absorbed people that don't give a crap about the less fortunate, it is always awesome to see something like this. :) I know that feeling too when you are within inches of a famous guitar. Seeing Cliff Burton's bass at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame make the hairs on my neck stand up.

romanianreaper":wj0p4s5r said:
Holy crap that is awesome!! Man, I get chills just seeing those guitars.

That is amazing how much that Strat went for and totally agree how he is a class act and unselfish for doing something like that. Celebrities don't realize sometimes what an impact they can make on a lot of things. Look at Jon Stewart recently with the 9/11 hearings and how he was able to be a voice for those first responders.

With so many self-absorbed people that don't give a crap about the less fortunate, it is always awesome to see something like this. :) I know that feeling too when you are within inches of a famous guitar. Seeing Cliff Burton's bass at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame make the hairs on my neck stand up.

Exactly. I'm not really a Jon Stewart fan very often but that 9/11 hearing was amazing. He completely tore those guys to shreds. People like him are the ones that need to be heard, not the worthless politicians we currently have serving our country.

David Gilmour is my favorite guitarist of all time without question and when I saw he was doing this it kinda bummed me out at first which is dumb I know, but these are so iconic to him and his career. After seeing a few interviews where he basically says they are just tools and somebody else deserves the opportunity to hopefully create something amazing with them, that was pretty humbling. Then to donate every penny of this to a charity that he truly believes in to better the planet, good for him! Regardless, if he ever tours or makes more music he will still sound like himself on whatever guitar is in his hands and that's cool with me.

many people know i'm obsessed with Gilmour. I was so happy to see the amount he got in for that guitar, but...

Mine was cheaper :D
64718402-10214840613784004-1622328345926565888-n.jpg

atrox":3p8e5na9 said:
many people know i'm obsessed with Gilmour. I was so happy to see the amount he got in for that guitar, but...

Mine was cheaper :D
64718402-10214840613784004-1622328345926565888-n.jpg

Man I want one of those! Do all of the custom shop models have that block behind the trem where the Kahler once was? I don't recall seeing that on other models or maybe I 'm blind.

Apex1Rg7X":3cjp7vyi said:
Man I want one of those! Do all of the custom shop models have that block behind the trem where the Kahler once was? I don't recall seeing that on other models or maybe I 'm blind.

It's a fantastic guitar. I got it on the "cheap" (relative to what they were priced at). Perfect weight and set-up.

The "block" behind the bridge is etched in and yes, they always included it on the relic version.

atrox":qrwyknjr said:
Apex1Rg7X":qrwyknjr said:

It's a fantastic guitar. I got it on the "cheap" (relative to what they were priced at). Perfect weight and set-up.

The "block" behind the bridge is etched in and yes, they always included it on the relic version.

Oh ok, relic version only that makes sense. Very cool man!

I'm not a fanboi but my first guitar (about 10 years ago now) is a MIM Strat so the headstock is not like this one but mine has a mahogany board but I loved the look otherwise (again, not necessarily because of David Gilmore although I suppose that probably slipped into in my conscious. The guitar is all blacked out now.

zkuvFQR.jpg

Stock image...not mine.

Back