Please recommend headphones for recording and mixing.

Fret-Shredder

Is there an awesome pair of cans for around $100 or less for home studio recording that you guys can recommend? So many to choose from I have no idea whats good to get. The Sennheiser HD 280 Pro look good but Im not sure. Thank you.

I’m always be a sucker for some AKG 240’s but still use my 15-20 year old ones. They’re probably made in China now but might still be good?

andrew scheps uses Sony MDR-7506 exclusively to mix now, might drop the $90 and grab a pair for myself

If you have something that can drive them, look at the beyerdynamic 880s or 990s. Or the Sennheiser HD600 or variants. They are 250 to 600 ohm so are hard to drive but very clear.

You can get a great headphone amp for around $100

Are you going to be mic'ng your amps or recording vocals? Or planning on direct silent recording?

There are two main types of headphones people use for recording n'stuff, open back and closed back. Open back is what I use (HD600) for everything except vocals and are decent for mixing but because they are open, sound bleeds out thru the back into the room which means mic's can pick it up. So when mic'ing (think recording vocals or something) people prefer closed back so the sound doesn't leak out and get picked up by a mic.

Thank you guys for the replies. I really appreciate it. I decided on the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. A lot of good reviews and I found a pair for a really good price. So for now I'll use these.

RaceU4her":2d4b34i2 said:
andrew scheps uses Sony MDR-7506 exclusively to mix now, might drop the $90 and grab a pair for myself

Why would he use such cheap cans for that? Surprising.

Around the hundred bucks mark, the Beyer DT-770 PRO has no competitor IMHO. Super solid, super comfy, closed design with great isolation, great sound, different impedances to choose from depending on the application (from 30ohms to 600ohms). Takes much more money to find equal or better. :thumbsup:

Fret-Shredder":14pzukj8 said:
Thank you guys for the replies. I really appreciate it. I decided on the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. A lot of good reviews and I found a pair for a really good price. So for now I'll use these.

I’ve been using mine for 15 years now. Probably not the best representation of accurate sound, but great at blocking loud guitar in room, finding best mic placement, and offering a different look at the mix compared to the monitors.

Beyer DT880 or 990 sound great but they are open designs. There will be bleed in the mic and no real isolation from outside. DD770 is really the right tool.

Kapo_Polenton":2ke45puy said:
RaceU4her":2ke45puy said:

Why would he use such cheap cans for that? Surprising.

i forget what monitors he uses but he said those sound closest to his monitors. my drummer brought over his senheiser hd280s im gonna give a try later

Jack Luminous":18fbyggb said:
Beyer DT880 or 990 sound great but they are open designs. There will be bleed in the mic and no real isolation from outside. DD770 is really the right tool.
I went from DT770 (closed) to 990 (open), which I used for years.
Very clear, wide sound, to some the top-end can be on the verge of hyped; although from what I hear, those Sony MDR-7506's are even worse there.
AKG's feel too loose on my head, whereas the Beyers wear comfortably.

For closed back, I went with Audio Technica M50s; one of the best at a decent price, with good isolation and still really good sound. More natural than the hyped Beyer DT770's (those had quite a smiley EQ curve).

You probably know this already but headphones should just be another reference for mixing and not *how* you mix.

Back