JJ Jr...Pure metal chug machine

MetalHeadMike

So while in town I stopped in to see my buddy Jay at Guitars and Amps in Billings, MT. Probably the best selection of high end amps in Montana, and every time I walk in the shop there is something awesome to plug into.

Today I walk in and there in the sound room sits a JJ Jr. and a BE-50. So I plugged into the the BE-50, threw an MXR eq in the loop and smacked the front with a Buxom boost and went after some chugga chug metal riffs through a handful of guitars. I just wasn't getting what I would call anything tight nor defined. I was playing at pretty low volumes so decided to crank it up a bit and....there it was! Damn that amp had some warm, crunchy, thick, tight chug going on. Definitely needed some serious volume to open up and tighten up compared to the amps I'm used to but once wound up a bit...Man!!! This was through a Friedman 412 with 25's and Greenbacks.

The real surprise for me however was the JJ jr. I wasn't even gonna plug into it actually as I was in a bit of a rush, but Jay said I "needed" to hear it, so we set it up through the Friedman 212 with V30's. Same thing...MXR in the loop, Buxom boost out front and threw the switch and was shocked at the tight, aggressive chunky tones that came out of that little thing. Sounded really 3D, thick, tight, and articulate. Then I turned off the Buxom boost and was :shocked: It was such a tight, full, punchy tone with just guitar plugged straight in. I boost EVERYTHING, but this little amp was wonderfully tight/punchy all on it's own.

Anyone on the fence about whether that little amp can pull off the heavy stuff need not worry! I want one :bash:

I'm going to see Dave tomorrow at Sweetwater and I'm going to tell him to stop making gear because I'm running out of money!!! Lol!!

MetalHeadMike":29qevymk said:
So while in town I stopped in to see my buddy Jay at Guitars and Amps in Billings, MT. Probably the best selection of high end amps in Montana, and every time I walk in the shop there is something awesome to plug into.

Today I walk in and there in the sound room sits a JJ Jr. and a BE-50. So I plugged into the the BE-50, threw an MXR eq in the loop and smacked the front with a Buxom boost and went after some chugga chug metal riffs through a handful of guitars. I just wasn't getting what I would call anything tight nor defined. I was playing at pretty low volumes so decided to crank it up a bit and....there it was! Damn that amp had some warm, crunchy, thick, tight chug going on. Definitely needed some serious volume to open up and tighten up compared to the amps I'm used to but once wound up a bit...Man!!! This was through a Friedman 412 with 25's and Greenbacks.

The real surprise for me however was the JJ jr. I wasn't even gonna plug into it actually as I was in a bit of a rush, but Jay said I "needed" to hear it, so we set it up through the Friedman 212 with V30's. Same thing...MXR in the loop, Buxom boost out front and threw the switch and was shocked at the tight, aggressive chunky tones that came out of that little thing. Sounded really 3D, thick, tight, and articulate. Then I turned off the Buxom boost and was :shocked: It was such a tight, full, punchy tone with just guitar plugged straight in. I boost EVERYTHING, but this little amp was wonderfully tight/punchy all on it's own.

Anyone on the fence about whether that little amp can pull off the heavy stuff need not worry! I want one :bash:
wtf would you put a eq in the loop for?? rookie move imo...sorry not sorry

romanianreaper":30ctbosp said:
I'm going to see Dave tomorrow at Sweetwater and I'm going to tell him to stop making gear because I'm running out of money!!! Lol!!
hahaha! It's got some mojo for sure :thumbsup:

ClintN667":30ctbosp said:
I hope he does a Butterslax Jr.
That would be sick :rock:

155":33hhnx19 said:
MetalHeadMike":33hhnx19 said:

wtf would you put a eq in the loop for?? rookie move imo...sorry not sorry

Your cute :LOL: :LOL:

Awesome to hear! I currently have a BE-50 which has been a solid amp for me. My JJ Jr is arriving on monday. Can't wait!
I was looking to lighten the weight up a bit when playing live as well as a tighter tone so this with my BE-212 and I should be good to go.

PBGas":1bunvver said:
Awesome to hear! I currently have a BE-50 which has been a solid amp for me. My JJ Jr is arriving on monday. Can't wait!
I was looking to lighten the weight up a bit when playing live as well as a tighter tone so this with my BE-212 and I should be good to go.

Congrats Man :rock: ...I was really impressed with how tight, punchy & full sounding the amp was. And it was LOUD! The only gripe I'd have with it is it goes from whisper to blow your head off quick; super touchy volume control.

Glad you got to try some cool Friedman’s.
You gotta try the slax if you liked the JJ.
Guys at the Dallas ampfest liked my slax better for metal, that had tried the JJ also.
The slax sounds pretty good at lower volumes also.

LunatiBSW":ppwgefmh said:
Guys at the Dallas ampfest liked my slax better for metal, that had tried the JJ also.

I'd love to try the slax! Almost nabbed one a few times, but wound up passing :doh: I hope Dave makes a mini slax :yes:

MetalHeadMike":1ldveap1 said:
LunatiBSW":1ldveap1 said:

I'd love to try the slax! Almost nabbed one a few times, but wound up passing :doh: I hope Dave makes a mini slax :yes:

Dave said it best, the slax and jj are very similar on paper, but the slax has more gain and is more aggressive.
As cool as a mini is and would be.....
You’d want the big boy. It has the volume and punch of the wiz but with a refined feel and more modern.
Especially since you like metal, and can crank up your amp.
It will sound great at lower volumes, but when you can crank it, its Pure bliss, and it’s never disappointed me :rock:
Everyone of my buddies that has a smaller version Friedman, has always wound up dumping it for the bigger one. They do sound great (but up to a certain point).
That point and beyond is where you really get the goods, of the big boys, and it surrounds you while also bitch slapping you in the face. :LOL: :LOL:

LunatiBSW":1cnc885b said:
MetalHeadMike":1cnc885b said:
LunatiBSW":1cnc885b said:

Dave said it best, the slax and jj are very similar on paper, but the slax has more gain and is more aggressive.
As cool as a mini is and would be.....
You’d want the big boy. It has the volume and punch of the wiz but with a refined feel and more modern.
Especially since you like metal, and can crank up your amp.
It will sound great at lower volumes, but when you can crank it, its Pure bliss, and it’s never disappointed me :rock:
Everyone of my buddies that has a smaller version Friedman, has always wound up dumping it for the bigger one. They do sound great (but up to a certain point).
That point and beyond is where you really get the goods, of the big boys, and it surrounds you while also bitch slapping you in the face. :LOL: :LOL:

Maybe I'll see if I can find someone who will trade their Slax for my Uber+ a MW Dual Recto :LOL: :LOL:

Had the Slax, still have my BE50, JJ100, BE100, and both the 2x12 and 4x12.

First, the cabs make a pretty big difference. The 2x12 is better for overall metal, at parity volume. I like the 4x12, but the GB’s hold it back a bit for my metal tastes. I would change the 4x12 GB’s for another pair of V30 or change to 65 or 75 Creams on Top or do an X pattern of either Cream with the V30. That said, the 4x12 can still do metal, but I favor the 2x12.

Slax: most metal of all, and JJ100 is just underneath it as you can boost BE and JBE is great without a boost, but you can boost it as well. The mids and hair on the Slax are a little different than the JJ.

BUT, and believe me on this, if you engage Sat (Slax always has it on, basically) and FAT, you can get more immediate deeper punch on the BE50 for sure that is close to the Slax, minus 2 power tubes.
Depending on volume, when you engage Fat on the BE50, you do wanna cut back a little on the Bass and increase the Thump: to taste. My buddy and I compared the BE50 and Slax both through the 2x12, and engaging Sat and Fat gets you close, he heard what I heard and agreed. Not quite as gnarly Gain as the Slax, but it’s also close with Sat engaged and you can always boost for more. ...Again, only real comparison of these two is using the same cab and speakers.

Overall, Friedmans are all similar and different enough at the same time.

My favorite channel of all Friedmans I’ve owned and played is Channel 2 of the Slax, which makes the JBE my favorite as well, but I slight edge goes to Channel 2 on the Slax, due to it being slightly hairier.

JJ100 is my fave over all the amps for my gigging needs. Slax is crushing and so much fun as well.

Junk Yard Dog":n8350be5 said:
The mids and hair on the Slax are a little different than the JJ.
I've been comparing my slax to all my amps lately and the mids is to me what really separates it from the rest. This goes for all three channels. I wouldn't mine trying out a BE50, I've read many people comment about how aggressive they can get... with that said when I fire up my dirty shirley it's hard to stop playing it, it sounds so damn good.

Back