PSA - Randall RD45H on the cheap!

They had this deal like a month or 2 ago as well and I picked one up on reverb. I got burned from this company selling to me in the past then saying it was out of stock on ebay. This time I did get what I ordered and was a great deal though.

LeftOurEyes":3oidt9l9 said:
They had this deal like a month or 2 ago as well and I picked one up on reverb. I got burned from this company selling to me in the past then saying it was out of stock on ebay. This time I did get what I ordered and was a great deal though.

Yeah, I'm crossing my fingers! Did you have any problem getting your money back?

No I got my money back easy, but it was tied up for like 3 weeks to a month total. It took them almost a week to say that it wasn't in stock (Randall Satan 50), then like 2 weeks to actually get the money so that was the only pain of it. It seems that if it says they have a lot in stock then you'll get it, but if it says that there are like 2 left then you might not.

I had one a few years back and jammed it many a time with my cover band. It had plenty of volume and gain.

I actually thought it was pretty good for a high gain amp, slightly on the dark side but I never put an eq in front of it, and I'm sure it would've sounded great with one. I ended up selling it for a 5153 50w 6l6, which I thought was a step up in terms of overall sound. Still, I think the RD45 is a sleeper amp for sure.
Nice price on that !!

napalmdeath":w4htio02 said:
Got tracking, ETA tomorrow!
I had one and put some Groove Tube 6L6S power tubes in it and adjusted the bias..after that it had a lot of punch and more gain..before the tubes and bias it was kinda flat with not that great of a high gain sound..I wanted it to work because the size/weight is perfect..I hope this is a good batch.

riffermadness":bqa3v8r8 said:
napalmdeath":bqa3v8r8 said:
I had one and put some Groove Tube 6L6S power tubes in it and adjusted the bias..after that it had a lot of punch and more gain..before the tubes and bias it was kinda flat with not that great of a high gain sound..I wanted it to work because the size/weight is perfect..I hope this is a good batch.

They sound really good with JJ 6L6's, (which I think is what the Groove Tube 6L6S is). I've owned 3 or 4 of these.

FWIW, the price changed. When I got mine, it was $319!

Those crappy little transformers make it sound like shit. They sound very underpowered to me.

LP Freak":33u0p2be said:
Those crappy little transformers make it sound like shit. They sound very underpowered to me.

I agree, transformers could be better. Definitely doesn't sound like shit. I got it yesterday and bias was super cold. I put Tungsol 6L6's in it, biased it up, and it sings. In fact, it has a livelier lead tone than my Splawn. Richer in harmonics!

napalmdeath":3jjr7ocs said:
riffermadness":3jjr7ocs said:
napalmdeath":3jjr7ocs said:

They sound really good with JJ 6L6's, (which I think is what the Groove Tube 6L6S is). I've owned 3 or 4 of these.

FWIW, the price changed. When I got mine, it was $319!

$319!!??? Shit! I would have pulled the trigger for sure. I had the RD5 and RD100 in the past and liked both.

Picked up one of this when they were $319. Just opened it and found a decent about of damage. Bent transformer bracket and gouged Tolex. Also a few more minor scratches to the front and back of the chassis. Could have been dropped, remanufactured or combination, including other things. Have sent a message to the seller, will report back here.

marl3y":yewfqjlo said:
Picked up one of this when they were $319. Just opened it and found a decent about of damage. Bent transformer bracket and gouged Tolex. Also a few more minor scratches to the front and back of the chassis. Could have been dropped, remanufactured or combination, including other things. Have sent a message to the seller, will report back here.

Mine had a minor scuff on the Randall logo on the front, and master volume knob looked like it was partially melted! I got a feeling these were B-stocks from the factory! Sounds fine though. Just can't see how these flaws made it through QC.

I sent a message as well last week, and they seemed to want to help. I just said fuck it, because it was cheap, and I can replace a cheap knob. Let us know what happens!

Will do. Scratches are well, scratches, and no big deal. The gouged Tolex, apparently from the chassis, and bent transformer bracket suggest something more significant happened. Amp appears to work, but I'm concerned something may have been weakened by the apparent impact.

I was worried they could be B-stock when I got mine last month from them but mine showed up and I couldn't find any marks on it anywhere.

They have confirmed these are brand new unless stated. However they're also asking I contact Randall to see what they recommend. IMO that's what dealers are for, so I've pushed back. Scratches are somewhat hard to explain for a new amp, but the Tolex and bends could be related to a serious drop while packaged. Either way it happened in transit to the dealer or customer. We'll see what they suggest.

marl3y":1d4ljsnt said:
They have confirmed these are brand new unless stated. However they're also asking I contact Randall to see what they recommend. IMO that's what dealers are for, so I've pushed back. Scratches are somewhat hard to explain for a new amp, but the Tolex and bends could be related to a serious drop while packaged. Either way it happened in transit to the dealer or customer. We'll see what they suggest.

Pretty cut and dry - return it!

Mine arrived yesterday but I didn’t have a chance to unbox it. I opened it up tonight after work and it was in brand new shape, the box hadn’t been opened / resealed prior to me cracking it open. Honestly sounds damn good through my v30 loaded cab without swapping tubes or rebiasing, so if that improves the tone even more I’ll be even more enthused. The amp has a very “forgiving” feel compared to the laney and vht I normally play through. I’m impressed with the tone at this price point.

Inearthed":25per6h9 said:
Mine arrived yesterday but I didn’t have a chance to unbox it. I opened it up tonight after work and it was in brand new shape, the box hadn’t been opened / resealed prior to me cracking it open. Honestly sounds damn good through my v30 loaded cab without swapping tubes or rebiasing, so if that improves the tone even more I’ll be even more enthused. The amp has a very “forgiving” feel compared to the laney and vht I normally play through. I’m impressed with the tone at this price point.

JJ 6L6's and biased right, really opens it up!

napalmdeath":2q52lfoz said:
Inearthed":2q52lfoz said:

JJ 6L6's and biased right, really opens it up!

Any recommendations for preamp tubes for the head? Will probably run it as is for now and a little later snag new pre's/power tubes

Back