Friedman mod questions

ClintN667

I've read some posts on the internet where someone has a friedman and gets it modded to resemble other offerings. I have a JJ jr on the way but I was curious if a BE-50 could be modded to a JJ or Slax? The reason Im asking is 50 watts just seems to be a sweet spot for me. Kinda like a goldilocks zone for my needs. I kinda figure its a pipe dream but figured it wouldnt hurt to ask here. I dont want to bug Dave cause Im sure he gets shit tons of emails that would be more important than me asking about something that even if he was able to do it, I would be a month or two from being able to do it.

I do not know but I figured I would jump in for a second.

I am a 50 watt high gain kind of guy too. It is just 'right there' for me. I haven't owned a Friedman, but I know that with most amps you can pull a pair of power tubes and run at half power (you may need to change the impedence). I do this in my Splawns and am much happier.

As far as I think, maybe it would be a better option to do that to a big one and more cost effective than modding a 50 watt and also may affect resale.

He can and will mod almost anything. I'm sure there are limitations on certain models but honestly email him and ask. There isn't anyone better in the industry about replying to emails and being as helpful as he can.

For reference, I have a Runt 50 head and before the JJ Jr was announced I talked with him about modding the Runt to JJ specs by re-voicing the amp and turning the boost function into a JBE circuit. He quoted me around $250 for the mods which I think is fair.

I'm sure it's possible since they all use the same board, but that is going to be an extensive and therefore expensive mod to get done if Dave is willing to do it. Basically completely redoing the first gain stage, some of the filtering and voltage droppers, and any tone stack changes / clipping changes to the clean channel depending on which version you would go with. Those are differences I remember off the top of my head without referring back to the schematics.

ClintN667":1hfixpj8 said:
Thanks guys. My JJ jr. should be here by the end of the week. Maybe this will scratch the itch I have.

Dude, I just saw him Saturday and would have asked him that had I seen this before. Sounded great in person man!! Like I said in my other post, was a bit hard to hear with all of the other players, etc. around me, but still could hear it. Nice crunch, tight articulation, etc.

BTW, where did you order yours from? I don't think mine will be on the way until mid-July or so.

I ordered mine from zzounds. Their site said it will be in stock on the 3rd but when I talked to customer service they said they should be shipping mine out on the 28th.

I had one preordered at sweetwater and I didnt grab it. I've been kicking myself for not grabbing it.

I really hope they come out with a Slax jr.

Why not just take a line out of the JJ jr into a power amp? a single space matrix can put out a few hundred watts and then even go stereo if you wish..

Back