Wizard 2x12 rattle issue

studiodunn

I just got this convertable 2x12 and finally got a chance to plug it in and right off the bat heard an ugly noise.
All sounded great until I muted and chugged and I instantly think blown speaker. I opened the cab up and sure enough, there is a small repair to one of the speakers.
Most of the speaker bolts were loose and one missing, so I tighten them all..... still it rattles.

I decided to throw another know good V30 I have in place of the repaired speaker and wire both speakers up mono. I'll be damned if the rattle isn't there with either speaker.

At this point I'm now in the garage taking the cab apart to check for loose screws. After I've inspected and checked everything I tap on the back of the grill and there it is.
The back cloth and the grill are both so tight they are like drum heads ratting together.

Anyone else had this happen and what the hell do I do about that?

mchn13":2s0nv7to said:
have you tried the same signal chain into another cab?

I have and even sent another head into the Wiz cab and got the same flapping noise. It is most definitely the cab.

I'm really bummed, as the cab sounds great with my MC. I would guess on stage it's not even noticeable, but once a mic got put on it :aww:

Hi

I had exactly the same cab and when I would play an A chord I get this weird rattle and it wasn't the speaker but the cabinet. I wont go into detail but for me this could not be fixed so I dumped the cab. To me it seems that it was a defect in the cab.

bluguitar":3p4sdx3l said:
Hi

I had exactly the same cab and when I would play an A chord I get this weird rattle and it wasn't the speaker but the cabinet. I wont go into detail but for me this could not be fixed so I dumped the cab. To me it seems that it was a defect in the cab.

I'm petty sure it can be fixed by removing the grill cloth backing, now if I'm going to do that is another story. Stay tuned.

Back