Friedman JJ - Trying to Love mine.

ClintN667":37djrap0 said:
I'm by no means an authority but I see what you are saying. I thought they JJ was supposed to be on the darker side? This doesnt seem dark at all. Also it seems like it has a weird high frequency... I dont want to say noise or hiss but something the other two amps dont have. Granted it could very well be my headphones

No man, that's exactly what I'm talking about! It's like an ear piercing frequency in the room. In the recording it doesn't sound terrible, but it's there. If I use the high, mid and presence controls to try and dial it out, it doesn't go away until the amp sounds muffled, and then I really don't like how it sounds.

Have you tried an EQ in the loop. Like just run them all flat then subtract one at a time? It seems like its something off and could be subtracted via an eq to narrow it down. I would hate for you to send it off then they say nothings wrong with it although these guys like Dave have better ears than I do so it probably wouldnt happen.

Thats also the first time I've heard an isolated SL-X and I really dig that tone.

ClintN667":1c6l1x4v said:
Have you tried an EQ in the loop. Like just run them all flat then subtract one at a time? It seems like its something off and could be subtracted via an eq to narrow it down. I would hate for you to send it off then they say nothings wrong with it although these guys like Dave have better ears than I do so it probably wouldnt happen.

Thats also the first time I've heard an isolated SL-X and I really dig that tone.

I did try the EQ. The frequency is closest to 1.6k, but that's not exactly it. I'd need a more precise eq to really figure it out. But I didn't figure it should sound like that.

Also, yes, the 900 SLX is a killer amp. I'm very happy with it

Try posting to the Friedman group on Facebook. I think Dave checks it out relatively often. Since you have it narrowed down pretty close to the culprit maybe he can point you in the right direction so you dont have to ship it back. That's an expensive amp to not get what you want out of it. It doesnt sound like the other clips I've heard either.

ClintN667":9nytjbp5 said:
Try posting to the Friedman group on Facebook. I think Dave checks it out relatively often. Since you have it narrowed down pretty close to the culprit maybe he can point you in the right direction so you dont have to ship it back. That's an expensive amp to not get what you want out of it. It doesnt sound like the other clips I've heard either.

I've actually emailed Dave recently. He basically said he'd have to look at it, but something may be off. I didn't hit him back to see whether he was interested in looking at it or not yet. I probably should just bite the bullet and do it.

Thankfully he is in the U.S. I've seen him really take care of people who have bought his amps. I saw a post where a guy ran across a good deal on Reverb but the amp had issues. He told them if he bought the amp he would repair it free minus shipping charges. Not many would do that.

After hearing your clips something does seem a bit off to me. The JJ should have more of a bite and bit more balls to it. The clip is with KT77s? I would probably sent it to Dave if your not happy with it. btw your JCM 900 SLX sounded great man.

panhead":pcfmqxgs said:
Shouldn't have to put an eq in a 3700 amp.

If that makes ya cringe, I use an EQ in the Wizard :LOL: :LOL: Wouldn't be caught playing any amp without one regardless of value. Whatever it takes to get it where ya like it is the way I roll.

It looks like too much hassle with already very expensive amp. Friedmans are one of best for low volume playing but in band volume they comes from with darker and polished to thin and harsh sounding very quickly. I have similar experience with Diezel Hagen. I want to like it but result was worst sounding amp I have ever own.

I could drop $5000 on an amp, and will always retube with my preference of tubes, bias it properly, and run a 10-band in the loop. As much as I've tried to live without my 10-band, I find it impossible. It's my #1 tool in the toolbox I can't/won't live without.

MetalHeadMike":c2v8uw69 said:
panhead":c2v8uw69 said:

If that makes ya cringe, I use an EQ in the Wizard :LOL: :LOL: Wouldn't be caught playing any amp without one regardless of value. Whatever it takes to get it where ya like it is the way I roll.

People seem to get this idea that because something is pricey, it should do everything you want perfectly. Never understood that. Everyone is chasing a tone in their head, and some need every ability to tweak to get it there. Nothing wrong with that.

Bad.Seed":2m16hkw3 said:
MetalHeadMike":2m16hkw3 said:
panhead":2m16hkw3 said:

People seem to get this idea that because something is pricey, it should do everything you want perfectly. Never understood that. Everyone is chasing a tone in their head, and some need every ability to tweak to get it there. Nothing wrong with that.
Yup, the “no boost needed” club..”I want an amp that doesn’t need a boost!”....they just don’t get that while my C+ doesn’t need a boost it sounds even better with one!
OP, try rolling some pre tubes with it..JJs are a darker sounding pre tube, if it doesn’t have them maybe grab a few and swap them in?

Racerxrated":366r8773 said:
Bad.Seed":366r8773 said:
MetalHeadMike":366r8773 said:
panhead":366r8773 said:

Yup, the “no boost needed” club..”I want an amp that doesn’t need a boost!”....they just don’t get that while my C+ doesn’t need a boost it sounds even better with one!
OP, try rolling some pre tubes with it..JJs are a darker sounding pre tube, if it doesn’t have them maybe grab a few and swap them in?

Agreed, boosts are just another way of fine tuning your sound. I currently have 4 different ones that I try with every new amp to get the best fit.

As far as tubes, I've had all sorts of stuff through this amp already. It's currently rocking all JJ ecc83s in v1-3 and a sovtek LPS in the PI. I also have tried Chinese EL34B, =C= El34 and now JJ KT77 in the power section. The issue won't go away, although the KT77 added some much needed thump.

I sent my little clips to Dave and he thinks there may be an issue with it. Currently working out the details of sending it in to him.

No doubt that the tone is in this box, but the icepick frequency spike and lacking fullness just aren't sitting right with me.

Bad.Seed":3iq12pwp said:
Agreed, boosts are just another way of fine tuning your sound. I currently have 4 different ones that I try with every new amp to get the best fit.

As far as tubes, I've had all sorts of stuff through this amp already. It's currently rocking all JJ ecc83s in v1-3 and a sovtek LPS in the PI. I also have tried Chinese EL34B, =C= El34 and now JJ KT77 in the power section. The issue won't go away, although the KT77 added some much needed thump.

I sent my little clips to Dave and he thinks there may be an issue with it. Currently working out the details of sending it in to him.

No doubt that the tone is in this box, but the icepick frequency spike and lacking fullness just aren't sitting right with me.

Yep. In most cases, a boost just adds that articulation and a lot of times you can even turn down the amp gain.

I agree about sending it to Dave. Not only will it be beneficial for you, but could end up steering future tweaks, etc. with that particular amp. Like I mentioned before, I get this strong feeling that some piece inside the amp is not soldered right or something missing in the link that controls treble bleed or another part of the EQ chain. I'm really curious to see what the end culprit is.

glad you are getting it sorted out. I know you have a ton of amps but its a shame to have one of that level not working the way it should. At the very least if you get it sorted out and you still dont jive with it you can move it without having to worry about whether it was in perfect working order. Also you could get it back and fall in love with it. I could definitely hear why you werent digging it cause that would have annoyed me as well. Its one of those sounds that once you notice it you cant "not" hear it anymore.

Back