Cheap’ish digital amp for monitors?

peterc52

I need a solution for rehearsing thru monitors or headphones at home when I’m don’t wanna swing out the big amps.

Not looking to spend a lot. Is the Line6 HX stomp the way to go? Any experience with it?

Or another unit?

HX stomp would be cool, just be sure to try out some 3rd party IR's with it- a good IR makes a world of difference. I have a LT, but would probably have opted for the stomp had it been out first.

On the cheap I love my boss GT1. Small enough to fit in a gig bag pocket, runs on AA batteries if needed, and it is cheap.

Plus, you can set it for different applications, one ideal for head phones or monitors, one that would just be through the loop ect.

Yes the helix is way better, but I got mine new for $150 after discounts from MF right after it was released. And it has the slow gear.

Mooer GE200 would be another cheap option. Haven't played one firsthand, but I've heard some good direct recorded and live tones from them.

I've been eyeing out the hx stomp for pretty much the same thing, when I dont want to power up "everything" lol. The only thing negative I've read about it is that its capped at 6 blocks. I have Helix native and 6 blocks is plenty for me, I don't plan on having a ton of effects... im thinking gate, amp, cab, maybe a boost and delay?

errrrrl":3vzmxfiz said:
I've been eyeing out the hx stomp for pretty much the same thing, when I dont want to power up "everything" lol. The only thing negative I've read about it is that its capped at 6 blocks. I have Helix native and 6 blocks is plenty for me, I don't plan on having a ton of effects... im thinking gate, amp, cab, maybe a boost and delay?

Gate can be tweaked at the input block, which doesn't count towards the 6.

swamptrashstompboxes":357s5kcd said:
On the cheap I love my boss GT1. Small enough to fit in a gig bag pocket, runs on AA batteries if needed, and it is cheap.

100% back this option, the GT1 has the GT1000 modelling engine in a tiny box, with cool LEDs and a mini expression pedal. The cleans are great, even the high gain stuff is pretty cool. Compared to a similar unit of 15 years ago, it's leaps and bounds.

Could always pick up an AxeFX Standard or Ultra for cheapish

ghosty999":rp7lfv1f said:
swamptrashstompboxes":rp7lfv1f said:

100% back this option, the GT1 has the GT1000 modelling engine in a tiny box, with cool LEDs and a mini expression pedal. The cleans are great, even the high gain stuff is pretty cool. Compared to a similar unit of 15 years ago, it's leaps and bounds.

That's one aspect I like, it's not dumbed down, just smaller. Pretty intuitive user interface for a small package as well.

swamptrashstompboxes":mlcnahwm said:
ghosty999":mlcnahwm said:
swamptrashstompboxes":mlcnahwm said:

That's one aspect I like, it's not dumbed down, just smaller. Pretty intuitive user interface for a small package as well.

Exactly! It's always an awesome back up to keep in your bag in case your live rig does down. I had it in my bag when my AxeFX batter died so I just swapped out the stereo outputs for the Boss GT-1 and played as normal! Sounded...surprisingly good

Back