NGD Jackson SL-1

skullfxr

Well, the identification was a little tricky as far as USA or MIJ, but after a lot of research, I can conclude that this is a USA Jackson SL-1. Duncan's, German Floyd, plays a little bit better than any guitar i have ever owned. The dating process took a few emails and research. Sustains great, action is stupid low, the trem just doesn't go out of tune and I fucking love it! Pics to come. I love this thing!!!

l7ktb4al.jpgl

Congrats brother :cheers:

Looks like a shred machine. So out of the 25+ guitars you have you like this one the best?

2prog4u":22k9dqdb said:
Invisible guitar is invisible...
He did say "Pics to come" - and he delivered.

311splawndude":20mop95i said:
Congrats brother :cheers:

Looks like a shred machine. So out of the 25+ guitars you have you like this one the best?

2prog4u":20mop95i said:
Invisible guitar is invisible...
He did say "Pics to come" - and he delivered.

It's a three way tie atm. This one, my ESP Eclipse, and probably one of my gibsons. My ESP has got game out of them all though I think, it just stays pissed off and delivers on every note just the way it comes out of my head. It has dimarzio Illuminators in it and I think that may be part of it.

The SL-1 is a beast, never have I played a guitar that plays so fast and with such ease and finesse that it has. The neck hotrail is sweet for leads.

Right now I have four Jacksons that will be getting gotoh floyds in the coming months. I am moving all floyd guitars to gotoh or Schaller for trems. Then I have a few pickups to upgrade, and I have to do my Jake E Lee build too. Buying will be slowing down soon, then upgrading.

I think that I am sitting at 40+ guitars ATM. I have a handful to get rid of though when they go.

That sure looks like one of the later SL3 models to me, what does the serial say? It´s not a SL1, that's for sure, that model never came without the creme binding on the neck.

Dave L":2vul7atf said:
That sure looks like one of the later SL3 models to me, what does the serial say? It´s not a SL1, that's for sure, that model never came without the creme binding on the neck.

I have found a ton of inconsistencies on the serial number. It's noted all over the place. What it came down to is that it was a limited run in the late 90's. The serial pops up as a US made Dinky 6 digit, from on the heel of the neck. Indicating that it was a short run USA made or demo model or prototype model. Everything is in line with that. I spent three hours googling it. It's a USA Soloist without a doubt. It's odd, but it's hard to think anything is wrong with the serial when stamped into the fretboard, and it is American. I have $350 into it so it's not a big deal. I love this baby though.

According to Jackson it's a 1999 American Dinky and notes exceptions on both USA Bolton and USA neckthrus that it could be varying things.

Yeah, everything is possible in the US shop, but just a quick google on SL3 serial numbers turns up several japanese SL3s with six digit serials in the 00XXXX-09XXXX range. The japanese neckthrus had the year as the first two numbers, 00 being 2000 and so on. At some point later in the run they swapped over from the chrome JT580LP to the black OFR and started looking like this:

je69n9b.jpg

I´m not trying to be a bummer here, but a lot of things point to it being a SL3 and I´m just not confident that Fender/Jackson support these days knows much about the older japanese production.

Dave L":ho333au2 said:
Yeah, everything is possible in the US shop, but just a quick google on SL3 serial numbers turns up several japanese SL3s with six digit serials in the 00XXXX-09XXXX range. The japanese neckthrus had the year as the first two numbers, 00 being 2000 and so on. At some point later in the run they swapped over from the chrome JT580LP to the black OFR and started looking like this:

je69n9b.jpg

I´m not trying to be a bummer here, but a lot of things point to it being a SL3 and I´m just not confident that Fender/Jackson support these days knows much about the older japanese production.

That may very well be it. I am totally OK with it, I love the guitar. I have $350 into it so it's not like I lost anything. So I stand corrected and I think it's probably a SL3. Still doesn't explain everything but it makes sense. I have nine other MIJ Jacksons and love them. No love lost here. Thanks Dave!

It reminds me alot of the Jackson SL-4 that I have. Particularly the unbound neck and lower tier Floyd. I have found that some of the japanese necktru's are better than the USA's duri g the early to mid 90's. Ive got RR1 professional that is heads above any Us custom shop I have owned or tried.
Either way at 350 you got a great deal, so im nothing but jealous.

Panzer917-30":2c7nkj81 said:
It reminds me alot of the Jackson SL-4 that I have. Particularly the unbound neck and lower tier Floyd. I have found that some of the japanese necktru's are better than the USA's duri g the early to mid 90's. Ive got RR1 professional that is heads above any Us custom shop I have owned or tried.
Either way at 350 you got a great deal, so im nothing but jealous.

I absolutely love it. I am happy regardless. I have studied the hell out of the headstock decal, and there is no way that the decal gas been altered or added. It appears to be an SL3 but has to be a USA model. The floyd is German so it's not a lower tier Floyd. $350 either USA or the chance of it being MIJ isn't a big deal. Maybe it is an early SK3 model prototype in the USA? I don't know. Jackson doesn't know either. Lol. It's a nice guitar, and I have around 10 MIJ Jacksons in addition to that.

NO clue, either way it's a helluva fiddle.

?

swamptrashstompboxes":234nd8ur said:
Well, the identification was a little tricky as far as USA or MIJ, but after a lot of research, I can conclude that this is a USA Jackson SL-1. Duncan's, German Floyd, plays a little bit better than any guitar i have ever owned. The dating process took a few emails and research. Sustains great, action is stupid low, the trem just doesn't go out of tune and I fucking love it! Pics to come. I love this thing!!!

l7ktb4al.jpgl

Sweet guitar!

Is that a Silence of the Lambs Laserdisc? o__O

keennay":h6p1133y said:
swamptrashstompboxes":h6p1133y said:

l7ktb4al.jpgl

Sweet guitar!

Is that a Silence of the Lambs Laserdisc? o__O

You have a good eye! I keep interesting things and antiques all around my house and shop. That is probably the most normal. Lol

I'm confused here. If the serial number says it's a Dinky, then it's a bolt-on neck, and not a Soloist and not an SL-1.
What does it say in small print after the Jackson logo? Looks like it says "professional". That right there tells you it's definitely not a USA Jackson.

The serial number presumably says it is a japanese neck-thru, since those are formatted the same as the serial for an american bolt-on with six digits. This is something Jackson support today likely has no knowledge about since the japanese production ended a few years ago, and this is presumably where much of the confusion came from.

From the description in an earlier post I suppose the logo says "Made in USA", which is the one thing that points to it not being a japanese SL3. Everything else (all the specs and the serial) pans out just like it should for a japanese Soloist from that era.

It's a neck through soloist USA made with a Dinky serial number. I have done the research. It does not say professional. It says made in the USA just like every other USA Jackson.

Its an odd one. The serial number is crossed, Jackson says that can occur through my research.

I don't know, but I love the damn thing. Lol. And it's not like I have much into it.

Dave L":2ylyamwo said:
From the description in an earlier post I suppose the logo says "Made in USA", which is the one thing that points to it not being a japanese SL3. Everything else (all the specs and the serial) pans out just like it should for a japanese Soloist from that era.

Maybe it's a USA SL-3 that was a early production made in the USA. I don't know. Lol it's a royal mind fuck but I love the guitar. Haha

A mystery for sure. It's too bad the JCF forum is so dead these days. Some of the guys there would be able to figure it out for sure.

ZEEGLER":15d2c7q0 said:
A mystery for sure. It's too bad the JCF forum is so dead these days. Some of the guys there would be able to figure it out for sure.

Yeah. It's a mystery.

I am holding onto it anyways so it's not a big deal. I absolutely love the damn thing.

Back