1U Power Amp for Modeler

ghosty999

I'm not enjoying the Marshall 8008 I'm running at the moment, it just feels it's lacking some oomph.

The

AxeFX Ultra -> Power Amp -> Custom 2x12 with V30s (for stage volume)
AxeFX Ultra FX Send -> Front of house

Sadly I don't have the budget right now so it will have to be <$500. Can be valve or SS, just looking for good tone, reliability etc

Cheers

Look around for a used Matrix GT800FX or a 1000FX. Those should fit your budget and should be pretty transparent for your modeller.

The 8008 is the valvestate series power amp. Solidstate, no tubes.

Ive run my axe FX ii into my valvestate head’s FX return but I didn’t really like it. A flat PA poweramp sounded better. I have an old matrix mosfet power amp I use that sounds great.

Never tried an Ultra so I don’t know if that sounds best into solidstate or tube power amps.

Oh...OK. My bad. For some reason I was under the impression that was an EL34 fueled tube amp.

If the amp lacks the balls you are looking for I recommend you try out any potential replacement amp before buying. Tone is such a subjective thing.

Pentatonic":pv1kjght said:
Oh...OK. My bad. For some reason I was under the impression that was an EL34 fueled tube amp.

If the amp lacks the balls you are looking for I recommend you try out any potential replacement amp before buying. Tone is such a subjective thing.
Damn me too! :doh:

ghosty999":uhgx3uie said:
I'm not enjoying the Marshall 8008 I'm running at the moment, it just feels it's lacking some oomph.

The

AxeFX Ultra -> Power Amp -> Custom 2x12 with V30s (for stage volume)
AxeFX Ultra FX Send -> Front of house

Sadly I don't have the budget right now so it will have to be <$500. Can be valve or SS, just looking for good tone, reliability etc

Cheers
Now, I know you're looking for a 1u BUT since you're across the pond, you should seriously grab an HH mosfet power amp...there should be some available used for cheap since they were made there. I have an M900 and it is better to me than even the mighty Mesa Strategy 400 I had..

Back