NAD: Germino Masonette

Dave L

Looks beautiful, sounds beastly! I didn't have time to do much beyond seeing that it works before I had to go on a work trip yesterday, but man oh man does it have a great crunch. Really looking forward to spending some more time with it later in the week :)

TXqU4ME.jpg

I actually wasn´t looking for another "plexi", but this deal just caught my eye and I´m glad it did.

For those not familiar with the Masonette, it´s essentially a late 60s Superlead polished to perfection and shrunk down to about 35w when cranked. It is pretty gainy, but from my brief time with it it feels like it´s within the range of actual (magic/inconsistent) old plexis and not into obviously modded territory.

I spent a few hours with it today and jeez, this is straight up a great amp. It has just the right tone you'd expect from a great Marshall, awesome touch and plenty of plexi drive without falling apart even when cranked (as long as you watch the bass knob). A+ for Germino at this point in the honeymoon.

I just wanted to revisit this thread a few months on, since I've been using the Masonette a bunch and I still absolutely love it. I basically haven't touched my 1987 since I got it, and that one definitely was a pretty good amp to begin with. For straight-up plexi stuff I think I'm all set here, which is pretty wild coming from a tube rectified amp running 5881s for 35W... Germino sure dialed in this one right to capture that tone coming from a different point of view. I think the key is that it hasn´t had all the quirks of a real plexi ironed out, and since it for example isn't too tight or too gainy it still has that certain something even if it is a more practical package than a real 1959 or 1987.

Still an A+ from me :thumbsup:

Dave L":1sndkz7v said:
Looks beautiful, sounds beastly! I didn't have time to do much beyond seeing that it works before I had to go on a work trip yesterday, but man oh man does it have a great crunch. Really looking forward to spending some more time with it later in the week :)

TXqU4MEl.jpg

Congrats :cheers:

sounds bitchen'

311splawndude":w64g6yjt said:
Dave L":w64g6yjt said:

TXqU4MEl.jpg

Congrats :cheers:

sounds bitchen'

Thanks man, I'm really happy that I couldn't resist it in the end :) It sat unsold all summer and I kept on circling it until the deal was just too good to pass up, I suppose that is the risk in selling lesser known stuff on a small market.

Wow!

That must sounds awesome!
Love how they sound on Youtube.

How do you manage the volume? Attenuator? It must be loud....
I would love to have one of this, but it's too expensive... The price range is almost the same for all wattage options...
And they're big... Greg should make smaller heads for these low wattage.

I mostly use it like EVH and others did it back in the mid and late 80s, running into a dummy load box and taking a line out to a stereo rack system. But yes, 35w at full blast is loud.

I have seen the Masonette in a smaller head shell, so it is an option.

Back