Speaking of Marshalls, NAD: TSL100

Bad.Seed

Yep, another one. This time, I traded a 2 channel dual rectifier I had for sale for this TSL100, a Mesa Throttle Box Pedal and $250 cash. Fairly even but slightly in my favor.

The amp has had a Mercury Magnetics PT installed. Stock preamp tubes and =C= El34's in the power section, which was a nice bonus. Great shape overall, with 2 small bumps to the tolex on the front.

This amp is super tight, and definitely not buzzy like a lot of people tend to describe it. It's brighter than a DSL, but not in an unpleasant way. It seems to have a little more clarity, but I could see where more classic guys might prefer the warmth of the DSL.

This thing rules for Tight and punchy down picking, and chords sound pretty defined for a Marshall offering. The mids need to be pushed a bit more, but it definitely still has that upper mid marshall sound.

Here's aclip I did over lunch, similar to the ones I've been posting, so you can reference against a couple others:

TSL100
https://soundcloud.com/kyle-bull-760574723/jcm-2000-tsl

JCM900 SLX
https://soundcloud.com/kyle-bull-760574723/jcm-900

JVM 201H
https://soundcloud.com/kyle-bull-760574723/jvm-210

Apex1Rg7X":3p1orabf said:
Marshall whore these days I see, Lol

I'll admit I'm on a Marshall kick lately, ha! But, buy low and sell high is my motto, and every amp I've picked up recently could have been an easy flip piece for extra money in my pocket. It's a win-win in my eyes

I I'd say the guy getting the Mesa got the better deal. I've seen those TSLs go for $400. Notorious pieces of shit.

napalmdeath":23fd2uko said:
I I'd say the guy getting the Mesa got the better deal. I've seen those TSLs go for $400. Notorious pieces of shit.
I'd say, nah. You've seen them go for $400, so have I. I've also seen them go for $600 and without a Mercury PT installed. I'm sure I could get $600 for it no problem with a little patience.

Notorious piece of shit? In what way? The bias drift and speaker jack switching issues? If so, I don't think that qualifies it as a notorious piece of shit when it can be righted without hassle.

What matters is that you are happy. I never thought that TSL's were nearly as bad as people say the are. The reliability would concern me, but you only live once. Enjoy it, cheers!

Bad.Seed":1cgdd39x said:
napalmdeath":1cgdd39x said:
I'd say, nah. You've seen them go for $400, so have I. I've also seen them go for $600 and without a Mercury PT installed. I'm sure I could get $600 for it no problem with a little patience.

Notorious piece of shit? In what way? The bias drift and speaker jack switching issues? If so, I don't think that qualifies it as a notorious piece of shit when it can be righted without hassle.

They were just junk. Issues beyond bias drift and jacks. They crammed too much in there, and just that heat alone caused numerous parts failures. I'd had my share with a TSL60, and known several others that had them spend more time in the shop than played. But, as said above, as long as you're happy. Personally, you couldn't GIVE me a TSL. I'd take a VS100 over a TSL.

Don't get me started on the foot switch. I went through 3 for mine, all brand new replacements. They all broke, didn't work, either, or both.

I'm just saying, if I wanted a true Marshall, the TSL wouldn't even be on the list. Not to mention, they don't even sound good. I ended up returning mine - couldn't do it fast enough. Went with a DSL 50 at the time, and it was night and day difference. THAT was a superior sounding amp.

But, I digress.. You'll have it up for sale in the coming days. Personally, I'd look for a JCM800, or Jube.

napalmdeath":3tew5ces said:
Bad.Seed":3tew5ces said:
napalmdeath":3tew5ces said:

They were just junk. Issues beyond bias drift and jacks. They crammed too much in there, and just that heat alone caused numerous parts failures. I'd had my share with a TSL60, and known several others that had them spend more time in the shop than played. But, as said above, as long as you're happy. Personally, you couldn't GIVE me a TSL. I'd take a VS100 over a TSL.

Don't get me started on the foot switch. I went through 3 for mine, all brand new replacements. They all broke, didn't work, either, or both.

I'm just saying, if I wanted a true Marshall, the TSL wouldn't even be on the list. Not to mention, they don't even sound good. I ended up returning mine - couldn't do it fast enough. Went with a DSL 50 at the time, and it was night and day difference. THAT was a superior sounding amp.

But, I digress.. You'll have it up for sale in the coming days. Personally, I'd look for a JCM800, or Jube.

Well, seeing as how I own a Jcm 800 2204, 2205, and a DSL 50, and I STILL think the TSL sounds great, I'm going to go ahead and disagree. As far as the issues, I guess I'll have to wait and see, can't comment on anything other than the common ones being fixed.

The amp sounds buzzy at lower volumes, and needs volume to truly shine. I'll give it that vs the DSL 50, which doesn't need to be too loud to sound good, although it tightens with volume like any Marshall.

Wanna put money on me having it up for sale?

sutepaj":3ouphtvi said:
Gotta say the TSL series is a hunk of junk. No offense, but man, the issues on it are insane.

From what the previous seller told me, the issues have mostly been fixed. My tech is teaching me how to work on these things, so I'm going to bring it to him and we're going to open it up and see what's been done to it. Hoping all correct preventative measure have been taken. But, this amp sounds killer in the room.

With work and the right set up they clearly can sound good, but I just can't be bothered with that when some amps just nail what the TSL is trying to do.

I really disliked mine, reverb tank blew first day of use, wobbly buttons that would get stuck, and... the dreaded "bee in a can" fizzy top end that would drive me insane. I stopped gigging it as every car journey seemed to give it a new issue.

Years ago I almost bought one new...but was talked out of it by the salesman lolol...they had a TON of them coming back for repair. Haven't thought about them since. But yours might be a diamond in the rough, with winged Cs and MM iron, it may indeed sound good.

Back