Einstein v VH4/VH2

Wondering how close the Einstein gets to Ch3 of the VH4 (or Ch2 of the VH2).

The Einstein seems to be around half the price so wondering if it is close enough considering the price difference. I’ve played a VH4 and loved that ‘evil’, tight and punchy low end and just how overall big it sounded.. How does the Einstein differ?

Also curious about the Lil Fokker but these seem much more rare.

Had the Fokker. And the vh4. And Herbert. And D moll twice.
Check out the D moll.
It’s like a good blend of all.
Liked it better then the Fokker.
Never heard the Hagen.
On my second Herbert and that’s my keeper.

Einstein is a little less compressed than VH4. Can get close to VH4 channel 3. Same sort of Diezel high-gain sound, a tiny bit more open.

FourT6and2":2zkcyj7d said:
Einstein is a little less compressed than VH4. Can get close to VH4 channel 3. Same sort of Diezel high-gain sound, a tiny bit more open.

Is that Ch 1 mega or Ch 2? I’m looking at a 50w combo, any experience with those? Found one available for a pretty reasonable price. Decent first foray into Diezel I guess.

Diezel123":iyfxl5yu said:
FourT6and2":iyfxl5yu said:

Is that Ch 1 mega or Ch 2? I’m looking at a 50w combo, any experience with those? Found one available for a pretty reasonable price. Decent first foray into Diezel I guess.

I had a combo. It was nice.
Both Channel 1 Mega and Channel 2 can get high-gain sounds. Channel 2 is more saturated of course. There is a mod you can do to make the mode switchable as well.

I briefly played an Einstein. To me, it seemed almost like an attempt to make the VH4 sound and feel like a "normal" amp. It's hard to describe if you've never played a VH4, but the VH4 is a very unique beast, both in how it sounds and feels to play. The first time I played a VH4, I hated it because it was really strange to me, but after a bit you start to appreciate what it does. The Einstein didn't do that: plugging in, it just was like any other amp, except it had that Diezel-type tone.

Hagen, fokker, dmoll, two einsteins for me. Einstein is the Diezel sound with a more regular amp feel as decrisbed already. A bit more vintage than vh4. Does an awesome diezel tone, won’t exactly match vh4 by any means. A but more polite than most metal amps and fatter in the low mids but does metal with ease. Been using mine for modern metal for a decade.

Olas video demo of it was accurate to my ears.

Got an Einstein combo on the way! Excited to see how it sounds. Was much cheaper than any VH4 I could find, like 1/3rd of the price.

Own a highly modded Einstein 100 watt head and its stock settings i still prefer it over my old Lil Fokker and VH4. I'm sure you'll love your Einstein.

If it’s anything like the VH4 I played I’m sure I will love it!

Would there be any use in using an EQ (MXR ten band) to make it sound any closer to a VH4, either in front of the amp or in the loop?

Diezel123":2bfoqd8w said:
If it’s anything like the VH4 I played I’m sure I will love it!

Would there be any use in using an EQ (MXR ten band) to make it sound any closer to a VH4, either in front of the amp or in the loop?

You can always try it. EQ pedal can't alter how the signal is cut and manipulated through the various gain stages or whatever on earth is going on in the VH4 power amp, though. I suspect those are the things that really make the VH4 what it is. I remember reading years ago that someone had traced the circuit and thought that Diezel had chosen some almost absurd values for certain components but somehow not only made it work but made a masterpiece. The Einstein probably seems more "normal" because Diezel used more normal component values through out. That wouldn't be just an EQ thing, it would be gain staging and which frequencies get passed to the next stage and what gets added back at the power amp etc.

the Einstein was my first venture into Diezel territory. Really did NOT like that amp all that much but the Plex setting was very, very nice. I got the Herbert after that and really liked everything about it but the 60+lbs weight. Was not fun to gig with that one. My Diezel 212 weighed less, LOL. I should have essentially gotten the VH-4. I probably would have kept that one forever. I tried one a few years back and really, really like that amp.

Had the Einstein for a bit now, enough to give my impressions. I find it is a very dark sounding amp, probably too much for my tastes or maybe I am just too used to the Soldano! I run it almost with the treble and presence cranked. The thing I like the most is that thick, harmonically complex Diezel distortion in the midrange. I find it is quite a stiff feeling amp too (not a bad thing). Clean channel is nice and mode 2 works very well for bluesy leads.

I am now wondering how the VH2 ch2/VH4 ch3 compares to the Einstein mode 3/ch2. From what I can remember when I played a VH4, it sounded angrier, drier and especially tighter in the low end. Is that a reasonable comparison? I was playing the VH4 through a 412 with greenbacks & V30s, I'm using the Einstein through the combo or my 212.

What speaker is in the combo? If it's the Diezel-branded speaker, that would explain a lot of the darkness you're hearing.

But the VH4, especially the newer ones (2007+) really are brighter and angrier. Those are the ones to get IMHO. The newer the better, from my experience.

cardinal":38kwuig4 said:
What speaker is in the combo? If it's the Diezel-branded speaker, that would explain a lot of the darkness you're hearing.

But the VH4, especially the newer ones (2007+) really are brighter and angrier. Those are the ones to get IMHO. The newer the better, from my experience.

Whatever the stock speaker is, it just has black covering the back of speaker. Doesn't seem to be any text on it.

The VH4 I played was brand new, probably made this year or last.

Back