Which VHT/Fryette for tight thrash?

If you get a chance, try before the buy, and try any of the Fryette heads. They're all flavors of the same ice cream, but you may find one speaks to you more than others.

I was not the biggest fan of my old UL (with EQ), but love the Deliverance, Sig, and Classic/CLX lines models. The UL, btw was my second Pittbull after my old Classic combo, so in theory I knew how to dial it in. Go figure... maybe I had the wrong cab for the UL at the time.

Decisions, Decisions.... these are Rottingcorpses, The D120 is my favorite.

edit: weird they're sideways, click on them and they are the right way... hmmm.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 992
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,008
Although its not on your list,the pittbull 100 clx will do thrash, chugga chugga,cookie munster if you dial it in to.I dont use my clx that way,but it'll do it.

Little B":2qfs4r00 said:
Although its not on your list,the pittbull 100 clx will do thrash, chugga chugga,cookie munster if you dial it in to.I dont use my clx that way,but it'll do it.

100% agree with this, and I do dial in my CLX to do this from time to time (more often than not).

My good friend has a UL and I used to own a D120. The UL gets far tighter and is more slightly more aggressive sounding to my ear. My D120 was a newer one without the choke, which has a resistor in place of the choke, lower filtering and plate voltage of around 420 volts. Which gives the amp more feel, looser and give to the tone. It gets the goods faster then other 100 watt amps volume wise (doesn't have to be as loud) but then it will also feel like it's giving up sooner in my opinion as the volume gets higher. UL has more filtering, higher plate voltage so it's going to be a tighter sounding amp. Both can get pretty massive sounding, but I give the edge to the D120 in that department.

dirtyfunkg":3lxth989 said:
Little B":3lxth989 said:

100% agree with this, and I do dial in my CLX to do this from time to time (more often than not).
My guitarist and fellow forum member JHowell13 has an older CLX, and uses it for our band, which is thrashy hardcore. It can 100% do these styles with ease. Truthfully, not much different than my CL50 or One Hundred (Pre UL)

I have a CLX and UL side-by-side. While I do prefer the UL for the bigger low-end punch, the CLX is no slouch in comparison.

Thanks guys, lots to think about. I've seen a CLX listed and was curious and read up. So same preamp as the UL just not KT88? Or something like that? Hoping to try a D60 either this weekend or next.

BTW how does the UL do in a band mix vs the other Fryette flavors? Maybe I should have asked that first ;)

errrrrl":3fkkt6nx said:
mhenson42":3fkkt6nx said:
Apex1Rg7X":3fkkt6nx said:
This fucking guy!! Lol. We need an updated rig pic man :rock:

lol. Here's the wizard side of the room, though the Axe III is gone now and replaced with an FX8. I'll post new pic of the Fryette side of the room after I get things organized after yesterday's arrival.

QvzeTkZh.jpg
Side of the room? :doh: :LOL: :LOL:
Good. God. Man.

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

errrrrl":3v9h5pkf said:
Thanks guys, lots to think about. I've seen a CLX listed and was curious and read up. So same preamp as the UL just not KT88? Or something like that? Hoping to try a D60 either this weekend or next.

BTW how does the UL do in a band mix vs the other Fryette flavors? Maybe I should have asked that first ;)

All of the Fryette amps cut great in a mix...live or recorded.

jasonP":814lsy7h said:
My good friend has a UL and I used to own a D120. The UL gets far tighter and is more slightly more aggressive sounding to my ear. My D120 was a newer one without the choke, which has a resistor in place of the choke, lower filtering and plate voltage of around 420 volts. Which gives the amp more feel, looser and give to the tone. It gets the goods faster then other 100 watt amps volume wise (doesn't have to be as loud) but then it will also feel like it's giving up sooner in my opinion as the volume gets higher. UL has more filtering, higher plate voltage so it's going to be a tighter sounding amp. Both can get pretty massive sounding, but I give the edge to the D120 in that department.

I have the "old" D120. It's quite uncompressed and touch responsive.

Vin Diezel":1hy610xe said:
jasonP":1hy610xe said:

I have the "old" D120. It's quite uncompressed and touch responsive.

The older ones before the Fryette logo, where far tighter, less compressed and didn't give up when the volume was cranked, that was before they removed the choke and reduced the filtering.

Was kind of like happy with my UL which i acquired few years back... thou i have my 50CL too which is supposed to sound thick and more open... not to the extent which i know or paid attention on after so many times of noodling on my UL... i recently gotten a D120... and to my surprised ot taught me how i dislike my UL which i realised it showed some kinda "compression" to it....

I tried changing the preamps and power tubes hopefully to steer it out abit on its nauture of tone but its still there untill i switch on the EQ boosting more on the high... and it actually sound better...didnt know what you call it but is obviously not the kinda compression you find on ENGL...

If you have the time to compare the D120, 50CL and CLX with the UL long enough you will know what i trying to describe... i have lesser amp exposure than any of you guys here... maybe i may describe it as "modern tone"

Back