Which VHT/Fryette for tight thrash?

errrrrl

I've had this reoccurring VHT gas on an off for a few years now. All the vids and clips I've seen all lead me to the Ultralead which is getting harder and harder to find used. I almost landed a UL a few years ago but the buyer backed out last minute.. so...

So which VHT would be the tightest sounding for thrash between the D60, SigX, UL without an EQ on the front, 100CL or a 50CL? I really want something Fryette in the arsenal and these are the ones looking the best at the moment. Educate me RT! :LOL: :LOL:

The Ultralead with the GEQ on the front for sure. I know this probably isn’t what you want to hear but it’s it’s own animal. I had a Classic for a while and it was s great amp, but the Ultralead was the balls for thrash. And it needs the GEQ too, so don’t buy one without it. I tried both and the GEQ made a lot of difference, way heavier.

Damn near any one will do.

I prefer the Deliverance, as it has the biggest and punchiest bass while still being extremely tight.

The Pittbull cl and ul are a little tighter, but either one is going to be a good bit tighter than most older Marshalls or a 5150 style amp, which are both super popular for thrash.

PAULYC2":3g63qhdz said:
The Ultralead with the GEQ on the front for sure. I know this probably isn’t what you want to hear but it’s it’s own animal. I had a Classic for a while and it was s great amp, but the Ultralead was the balls for thrash. And it needs the GEQ too, so don’t buy one without it. I tried both and the GEQ made a lot of difference, way heavier.
I kind of figured. When you can't find one with an GEQ and can only find UL's without that says something. I was hoping since I use an MXR EQ in the loop that would kind of make up for it but.. damn.

MetalHeadMike":3g63qhdz said:
Have only owned/played the D60. An od out front and it's a huge, ballsy, tight thrash machine. Fantastic amp.
I was going to bring my pedal board down to the local shop and try an NOS D60 covered in dust in the back and the SigX next to that. I tried em before when I was in a rush thru a shitty cab so I need a do over with a good cab.

Bad.Seed":3g63qhdz said:

I prefer the Deliverance, as it has the biggest and punchiest bass while still being extremely tight.

The Pittbull cl and ul are a little tighter, but either one is going to be a good bit tighter than most older Marshalls or a 5150 style amp, which are both super popular for thrash.
I think I came across one of your vids for 50CL vs UL which kind of opened my eyes to the 50CL. I thought they both sounded good. Does your deliverance have a loop btw?

You should grab that Pittbull 50/st in the classifieds, or the 50/cl and boost it. That’ll get you everywhere you want to be...hell, you may not even have to boost.

The UL I tried is tighter than just about anything I have ever played. I only own the sig x, and love it. Pretty tight too and the cleans are sexy AF. I like the flexibility of the sig x, but it's not as tight as the UL. The UL is the driest of them all too. Takes a little bit to get used to them.

errrrrl":sefngot5 said:
Bad.Seed":sefngot5 said:

I think I came across one of your vids for 50CL vs UL which kind of opened my eyes to the 50CL. I thought they both sounded good. Does your deliverance have a loop btw?

Very well could be! The classic is no joke. Everyone swears they need the EQ on these amps, but I had one with the EQ and just shut it off. This amp has no issue sounding great, EQ or not!

My D60 does not have a loop on it.

The no loop is the only reason why I don't have a D60/D120.

I do really enjoy my sig x though.

I still say UL though.

The clarity and punch of the D60/120 is only surpassed by a Wizard, Mesa Coli and SLO...maybe a vintage superlead...top 5 amp for me.

Racerxrated":2j1s62fd said:
The clarity and punch of the D60/120 is only surpassed by a Wizard, Mesa Coli and SLO...maybe a vintage superlead...top 5 amp for me.

Don't say this. I had to pass up a Wizard from a fellow forum member yesterday and it hurts my feelings thinking about it.

UL is the best amp I've ever owned. period. HUGE and ballsy, just amazing for tight riffing.
Sig X was cool, but I didn't like all of the knobs/switches to be honest.
CL/50 I owned is the one ion the classifieds, is literally a poor mans UL to an extent. Missing the KT88's for EL34's but still is super tight and articulate.
Deliverance 60-I just bought one for the second time and will not sell it this time. Such an awesome amp and boosted it kills for fast tight riffing.

I'd say you can get what you want out of almost any of them. I would suggest buying the CL and I promise you wont be disappointed.

Bad.Seed":268yp0bb said:
Racerxrated":268yp0bb said:

Don't say this. I had to pass up a Wizard from a fellow forum member yesterday and it hurts my feelings thinking about it.

There’s a reason I own 2 Fryettes and 4 Wizards! :rock:

mhenson42":y5odve9p said:
Bad.Seed":y5odve9p said:
Racerxrated":y5odve9p said:

This fucking guy!! Lol. We need an updated rig pic man :rock:

Apex1Rg7X":3kpll3y0 said:

lol. Here's the wizard side of the room, though the Axe III is gone now and replaced with an FX8. I'll post new pic of the Fryette side of the room after I get things organized after yesterday's arrival.

QvzeTkZh.jpg

Apex1Rg7X":1m4o6att said:
mhenson42":1m4o6att said:
Bad.Seed":1m4o6att said:
Racerxrated":1m4o6att said:

I concur in regards to the D60/Wizard. I A/B'ed the MCII side by side with the D60 I had (With loop) for months, and the D60 is almost right there. D60 is a poor mans Wizard Lol! Honestly the D60 gets 80% there but the price difference makes it really close to being 99% as good as the Wiz.

mhenson42":11rae6k8 said:
Apex1Rg7X":11rae6k8 said:

lol. Here's the wizard side of the room, though the Axe III is gone now and replaced with an FX8. I'll post new pic of the Fryette side of the room after I get things organized after yesterday's arrival.

QvzeTkZh.jpg
Side of the room? :doh: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for the all input guys. I'm gonna try to hold out and just be on it looking for a UL with an EQ. I'm in no rush but man i'm gassing. The hunt is on :rock:

Back