KHDK Ghoul Screamer?

napalmdeath

Anybody have one/try one? Any feedback? I picked one up for the hell of it, just curious how aggressive it is..

napalmdeath":3i1e22pz said:
Anybody have one/try one? Any feedback? I picked one up for the hell of it, just curious how aggressive it is..
Thought about it... kinda wish I was on it for the Paranormal pedal.

I bought one when Pro Audio Star first started blowing them out. Crazy deal, didn't think they'd still be around.

As far as the pedal itself, I really dig it. Very clear and tight, doesn't suck as much low end as my MRX M77. Which can be good or bad, depending, but for standard tunings, it's good for sure. Mid bump seems to be focused a little higher than a ts9/808 style pedal, but not quite as big a bump. Lots of output, in the middle of the TS808 and something like a Savage Drive, which has a ridiculous amount

The switches are nice. They can fine tune the sound. I find I usually run the 3 EQ switches in the up position. The compression is to taste. Switch 1 up if the amp is already real saturated. Switch in 2 position if the amp is a little more dry.

Lots of options to dick with. I mainly dig how clear and tight it is.

My initial impression is I will probably sell the pedal.

I definitely need to spend more time with it but the fact that there are so many options, idk I guess I do not like that.

The thing for me is I just don't need it. My amp sounds perfectly fine without a boost. that is rare for me as I have ALWAYS preferred a boost. I had a Rev 2, a JP2C a 100CL and all of those were better with a boost. The MT15 is literally the only other amp I have owned (besides the 5150 2x12) that I didn't need a boost for.

So idk it is really hard for me to judge this pedal. I do need to try it again. Start with everything at noon, understand the pedal better and try some settings posted here but first impression was that I don't need it and will probably sell.

Got mine yesterday, still haven't had a chance to try it. Probably won't until Sunday, so I'm anxious, since most reviews have been positive!

maddnotez":290lfkbf said:
My initial impression is I will probably sell the pedal.

I definitely need to spend more time with it but the fact that there are so many options, idk I guess I do not like that.

The thing for me is I just don't need it. My amp sounds perfectly fine without a boost. that is rare for me as I have ALWAYS preferred a boost. I had a Rev 2, a JP2C a 100CL and all of those were better with a boost. The MT15 is literally the only other amp I have owned (besides the 5150 2x12) that I didn't need a boost for.

So idk it is really hard for me to judge this pedal. I do need to try it again. Start with everything at noon, understand the pedal better and try some settings posted here but first impression was that I don't need it and will probably sell.

That's How the Savage 120 is. Perfection without a boost. Only amp I've ever owned that I liked better without a boost.

I am more of a basic boost guy. Too many switches and and functions kind of dilutes the core tone for me,or I spend all day switching switches lol.

I spent more than a hour with it. 3 levels of compression and 8 voices. I'm playing on a Fryette Sig X. The amp is very dynamic. So control over the compression is useful. I need to spend more time with it and use some other amps. So far I like it.

stephen sawall":3lvqzak7 said:
I spent more than a hour with it. 3 levels of compression and 8 voices. I'm playing on a Fryette Sig X. The amp is very dynamic. So control over the compression is useful. I need to spend more time with it and use some other amps. So far I like it.

Same, but with a D120, agreed with everything said, I'm a lil more impressed with it than most, I'm EXTREMELY picky about my boost pedals, only about 4-5 that I've tried that I truly like. This one is in that list, something in the tone of it I find very appealing.

Juggernaut":17h1lm8m said:
stephen sawall":17h1lm8m said:

Same, but with a D120, agreed with everything said, I'm a lil more impressed with it than most, I'm EXTREMELY picky about my boost pedals, only about 4-5 that I've tried that I truly like. This one is in that list, something in the tone of it I find very appealing.

I’m in the same boat as you. I love mine. Got it when they were being blown out and It’s displaced my longtime boost pedal, one made by visual sound. I love the switches and being able to fine tune it for each amp style. Very clever pedal. I’d like to check out more fro khdk and salvation.

stephen sawall":14ne5tev said:
napalmdeath":14ne5tev said:
maddnotez":14ne5tev said:
Mine should be here tomorrow.

Mine too! Also picked up an Airis Tight Pre.
napalmdeath":14ne5tev said:
I'll be able to test run mine this afternoon!

Curious what you think of these pedals side by side ?

The Tight Pre is in transit, haven't gotten it yet.

I did play the Ghoul Screamer this afternoon. Great sounding pedal! Nice and percussive. Not overly midrange-heavy. I like it with all switches up, minus the body switch, I like down. As per Ozz's comments, not mind-blowing, but better than an OD808! Definitely tighter!

I will say this.. It's more aggressive than the Buxom Boost.

I agree with the general concensus here. I had one years ago and thought it was a very solid pedal, but there’s just better stuff out there

I’ve had over 100 boost type pedals over the years and have now 6 favorites that have stayed:
Klon Centaur
Furman PQ-3
Chandler Limited Germanium Drive
Chandler Limited Little Red Devil Colored Boost
Coppersound Broadway
Darkglass B7K Ultra

Back