Help with a hotter pickup for my ESP Kamikaze?

GJgo

Hey guys,

So I have an ESP Kamikaze that I love. Best bolt-on guitar I've ever played. Problem is I'm a metal guy, and after playing the guitar for a while with my band I really don't feel like the Screamin' Demon is hot enough for me. For "less than metal" it can be really awesome in that guitar, but then I don't play it as much. I'm not the kind of player that lives with a boost pedal on. I like the tonality of the Demon in this guitar, lots of highs & lows, it's just not angry enough.

The guitar is of course solid maple. Does anyone have advice about a hot, metal-tastic passive PUP that I might try instead? I know there are a ton of options out there and I have no idea where to start. Looking at other Seymours the Black Winter catches my ear. With other brands I don't even know where to begin and don't really want a rabbit hole.

You can hear what I mean if you listen to all 4 for comparison in this test I did.
https://youtu.be/yeFX6CcVHWw

Here it is in our mix. It sounds better here because the Five 35 is so over-gained. Plugging into the Recto it's just meh, and the Recto is my favorite amp. Even so, A/Bing with a hotter output guitar really puts it in perspective.
https://youtu.be/JwCcnJiI0V0

Duncan D, Dimarzio Super D, Suhr Aldrich, Schecter Sunset Strip, BKP Holy Diver...

Considering it's all maple I'd say some bassier pickups would work well. Duncan Invader, BKP Warpig etc.

Maple body does not mean brightness....

Wolf Hoffmann of Accept uses an EMG 81 in a neckthrough maple+ebony guitar.

The majority of the OLDER classic Lynch tones were done with the Duncan Distortion.
If you want that bite with a bit more bass, the Custom may be a good fit.. but I'd go Distortion.

Tom Anderson H3+, it's what James Hetfield used on "Master of Puppets."

Interweb research-

"Actually (not like its important) James used the Invader for only Kill Em All. Ride The Lightning was either gibson dirty fingers or a tom anderson H3+ (not exactly sure when he switched it). Master of Puppets was an H3+ and And Justice For All on was an EMG 81. James used the Electra V for his invader. RTL and MOP was both the 84 explorer."

Thank guys. Lots of votes for the DD, cool!

For those who have recommendations, any sound clips?

I have a JB in my mahogany Horizon and while it took me a year to appreciate it, I can make it scream now.

I do like a solid bottom end in my chugging which is one thing I do like about the Demon.

Great comparison video.
The Horizon and Custom sound great!

I agree that the DD would give that Lynch a kick in the pants.
The Aldrich is my go to Pickup, but I think the Distortion is more suited to what you're doing

BTW... Where did you get that studded strap that you have on the Kamikaze? LOVE IT!

Dimarzio X2N :rock:
It’s been in my Kamikaze for years and just kills with this guitar.
I’ve had the Jb
Aldrich
Emg
Couple others but the mix of that x2n and the Kami just rules. :yes:

I tried the X2N in so many guitars and hated it.

I would think either DD or maybe a DiMarzio deactivator X could be a good bet.

Personally I would look at a Dimarzio super 3...heavy as hell and has so many different tones when you gradually roll back the volume

sytharnia1560":vemw383q said:
Personally I would look at a Dimarzio super 3...heavy as hell and has so many different tones when you gradually roll back the volume

I've always wanted to try this pup.

Back