My Kemper is Evil!

the rossness

My kemper is evil!

It is I tell you. My Kemper is just about the best, and most satisfying gear purchase I’ve ever made. I’m totally satisfied with to tones and near endless library of profiles. That said, some of the tones I want more and more of, so I’m thinking of buying some of the actual amps that my favourite profiles are based on

Krank seems like everyone’s favourite company to bash, but they make some totally killer stuff. Dialed in right, the Krankenstein+ sounds AMAZING’ powerful low end, singing upper mids and a great solo tone. The Rev plus is a great rock amp and the 1980 (with a boost in front of it) seems great too. I’d love to get all of them honestly. And their lower price points make that feasible. A few years back, Tony Krank said he was going back into business and then nothing??? Site went dark and no mention of them. Is Tony Krank still making amps or was their comeback a pipe dream of his?

Then there’s Fryette/ VHT. For years, the CL100 w/ eq was one of my main amps. Opposite of most people, I set up the green as my dirt channel and the red as my cleans. It sounded great but never could I dial out the harsh top end. I’ve thought if getting a UL or SigX. How do they compare? The kemper profiles if the sigx, make it sound lower gain than the UL.

One of my favourite kemper amps is the Splawn Nitro. Never played one in reality, but hated the 2 QR’s I used to own. And in most demos on youtube, the amp sounds like ass. But KSE used them and their tones are amazing! Honestly, I’d love to hear a shootout of the Krankenstein and (boosted) Nitro. If I didnt like the QR, soulf I even be thinking about a Nitro? I’m looking for a very modern high gain tone, but with some nice high mids- sort if like a modern take on a duncan JB- is that a weird analogy?

I love the SLO and if I can find an affordable used one, I might have to get it. I also think the Wizard MTL is badass, but $4k for an amp seems high. And on the really inexpensive side are Ceriatone, the JSX, and the Laney Ironheart (I used to own the 15 watt rackmount version). Anyone ever go this route and buy amps they first played in a kemper?

I have a Nitro and love it, just traded my krank rev+ for a K-tre and also own a sig x. Lol.

The KT88 nitro is a good bit different than s quickrod, but has similar tendencies. Has to be damn loud, same unforgiving dry tone, but it is massive AF. more massive than the QR IMO.

I haven't ever put a Puttbull next to my sig x, but the sig x can do some damage for sure. Great cleans and midgain on top of that.

I prefer the rev+ over the kstein+, but never put them next to each other.

the rossness":32l8mi75 said:
Anyone ever go this route and buy amps they first played in a kemper?
I've seen a lot of folks do this, mate.

You might even find that you Profile them once you've found your sweet spots, sell them and rinse and repeat with other amps.

Kemperites usually go one of two ways:
1) Amp GAS is cured and more is spent on guitars.
2) New amps bought thanks to exposure through Profiles that otherwise wouldn't have happened.

Monkey Man":2gkp8rmh said:
the rossness":2gkp8rmh said:

You might even find that you Profile them once you've found your sweet spots, sell them and rinse and repeat with other amps.

2) New amps bought thanks to exposure through Profiles that otherwise wouldn't have happened.
I'm sadly in the second camp. Sold my amps to get a Kemper, only to find out it just made me want the amps I was using profiles of. I now own more tube heads than I ever had prior to owning my Kemper. But it's OK, because I'm much happier with my tonal options now than I ever was. For me, the Kemper is a tool that works in conjunction with an amp collection, not a replacement for an amp collection.

thrashinbatman":10zlse1o said:
Monkey Man":10zlse1o said:
the rossness":10zlse1o said:

I'm sadly in the second camp. Sold my amps to get a Kemper, only to find out it just made me want the amps I was using profiles of. I now own more tube heads than I ever had prior to owning my Kemper. But it's OK, because I'm much happier with my tonal options now than I ever was. For me, the Kemper is a tool that works in conjunction with an amp collection, not a replacement for an amp collection.

I like that perspective.

I know that I could never be happy without my tube amps.

Also with how good the Suhr RLIR is sounding I think I would be happier with one of them. Not a replacement for a Kemper of course, but it does add flexibility to get around some of the negative aspects of having to record bigass tube amps, and even live.

I traded my Kemper for a Quick Rod and Nitro. I liked both but I prefer a Nitro hands down. I got rid of my Splawn amps and have a KSR Orthos now but I want to get another Nitro at some point. The Kemper taught me that I dont need 400 effects or a ton of different amps or cabs. I think I can be happy with just a few types amps (something Marshall esq, Something Slo-esq, and maybe something Orange)

ClintN667":3q09yy1i said:
I traded my Kemper for a Quick Rod and Nitro. I liked both but I prefer a Nitro hands down. I got rid of my Splawn amps and have a KSR Orthos now but I want to get another Nitro at some point. The Kemper taught me that I dont need 400 effects or a ton of different amps or cabs. I think I can be happy with just a few types amps (something Marshall esq, Something Slo-esq, and maybe something Orange)

That's the reason I never jumped on board the Kemper.

I definitely could use a nice mfx though once in a while. But I run too many rigs for that.

These days I primarily use the Kemper live and for backup when I record. I prefer using tube amps, not so much because I think they sound better, I drink the Kemper Kool-Aid 100%, but I just prefer dialing in an amp, micing a cab, and creating my own tone. But then I'll take a profile in case things need to be changed later down the line. I guess that's just what they were originally designed for? But regardless, they're so great live. There's just no beating it in terms of size and weight vs. features and quality.

Back