I'm not going to apologize. I love G12T-75s.

Rick Lee

Flame away.

Ever since I started practicing with bands in studios with beater Marshall 1960 A or B cabs, I've thought these speakers sounded great. I have a cheapo Seismic 2x12 with 75s in it. When I run one of my Marshall heads through it, I lose track of time, the hair on my arms stands up, I play for hours at full tilt, etc. I have a 4x12 with WGS Invaders, a Marshall 1960AHW with G12Hs, an EVH with Creambacks and V30s, have had many others. None of them sound as good as the the stuff I use with 75s. Tonight at band practice I brought my Boss Katana 100w head and ran it through a 1960A cab. It slayed! These speakers are cheap, they grow on trees and I'm going to stick with them. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

People who hate G12T-75's never cranked one through a Marshall. They have relatively flat mid's (not scooped) and you need some power behind them, but they are a great speaker.

Unfortunately, at low volumes, they can be a little ice-pick'ish

Rick Lee":2irwtrqo said:
Flame away.

Ever since I started practicing with bands in studios with beater Marshall 1960 A or B cabs, I've thought these speakers sounded great. I have a cheapo Seismic 2x12 with 75s in it. When I run one of my Marshall heads through it, I lose track of time, the hair on my arms stands up, I play for hours at full tilt, etc. I have a 4x12 with WGS Invaders, a Marshall 1960AHW with G12Hs, an EVH with Creambacks and V30s, have had many others. None of them sound as good as the the stuff I use with 75s. Tonight at band practice I brought my Boss Katana 100w head and ran it through a 1960A cab. It slayed! These speakers are cheap, they grow on trees and I'm going to stick with them. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
:LOL: :LOL:
You tell em!! Haha they can sound really good, no doubt...but I feel it really depends on what yr they are from and if they are broken in or not....I've had newer, early 90s, late 80s, and some of the first from 83-86 and they all sound very different to my ears. I can deal with any of them with my Marshalls, except for the newest versions. Not a fan, they are even more scooped and harsh sounding and these are from the early 2000s and have been beat to hell so no break in issue. Those earliest ones with vents on the magnets are really great sounding speakers, like a G12 65 but brighter.

atrox":328m07v0 said:
People who hate G12T-75's never cranked one through a Marshall. They have relatively flat mid's (not scooped) and you need some power behind them, but they are a great speaker.

Unfortunately, at low volumes, they can be a little ice-pick'ish
I've cranked my amps more at home than when gigging, and that includes outdoor festival stuff...and I still dislike the newer version T75s with any Marshall I've ever owned. Now, when we're talking older versions, early 90s or earlier I do dig those. The newer ones sound better when cranked but I'd still pick any number of speakers that sound much better over a newer version 75.

Any thoughts on the T75 “clones” out there? Talking about Eminence CV-75, Man o war and WGS HM75. Anybody try them?

Rick Lee":2cr7gguw said:
Flame away.

Ha! Love the last line... I also sort of like the tone of them with Marshalls. I think right now my fave is G12-65 (those came in some of the 1960B cabs I think?) but the 75's are definitely a big part of the later 80's hair bands. Yngwie too!

Kapo_Polenton":1v40gqsq said:
Rick Lee":1v40gqsq said:
Flame away.

Ha! Love the last line... I also sort of like the tone of them with Marshalls. I think right now my fave is G12-65 (those came in some of the 1960B cabs I think?) but the 75's are definitely a big part of the later 80's hair bands. Yngwie too!
Yngwie only plays the early vented 75s. From what I've read anyway. Light years different from the newer versions.

I have an old Lee Jackson era Ampeg 4x12 with g12t-75's that I have had since the late 90's. Built like a tank, has played hundreds of shows... I still love it, and I have kept it over much more expensive cabs.

I was in the T75 hater camp for years until I spent a year doing all my rehearsals through a beat-to-shit 1960B. I agree, they're actually pretty cool. I still prefer V30s but I'll gladly jam on some T75s. Looking to add a Marshall 1936 to my live rig to get a bit of that flavor in my tone, actually!

Racerxrated":323u2ycw said:
Kapo_Polenton":323u2ycw said:
Rick Lee":323u2ycw said:
Flame away.

Yngwie only plays the early vented 75s. From what I've read anyway. Light years different from the newer versions.

That's why I would guess that even RI G12-65's are still ahead when compared to the various version of the 75 you might find. I find the 65 to have a good amount of everything I like; crunch, mids,not flubby or hyped in any one direction, slightly rounded on top. That or i just described a nice red wine..

Your not alone. I'm a fan of the G12T-75s as well. Always have been since the 80s. Excellent bottom end. I mix those with the G12H-30s Anniversary speakers. Never been a fan of Green backs and Vintage 30s because how the low end gets. My cabs are very old, so the speakers are broken in from the volume we played at. New speakers may sound harsh, but once you push them, they soften up a little. My 2 Cabs on the left have G12T-75s, other 3 have the G12H-30s. I run a Voodoo V-Rock 100 with the G12T-75s for the tight low end. The Voodoo V-plex 50s sound great with the G12H-30 Anniversary speakers.

Laars":25xsqquw said:
Your not alone. I'm a fan of the G12T-75s as well. Always have been since the 80s. Excellent bottom end. I mix those with the G12H-30s Anniversary speakers. Never been a fan of Green backs and Vintage 30s because how the low end gets. My cabs are very old, so the speakers are broken in from the volume we played at. New speakers may sound harsh, but once you push them, they soften up a little. My 2 Cabs on the left have G12T-75s, other 3 have the G12H-30s. I run a Voodoo V-Rock 100 with the G12T-75s for the tight low end. The Voodoo V-plex 50s sound great with the G12H-30 Anniversary speakers.

Not to thread jack, but how does the combo of t75's and H30's compliment each other? I have a 1960 900 cab with the 75's and a Mojotone/1960 clone cab with the h30's. The 900 cab is a little too muffled and the mojotone is a little too bright, so I thought about swapping them myself.

sutepaj":zw2hmmyf said:
I have an old Lee Jackson era Ampeg 4x12 with g12t-75's that I have had since the late 90's. Built like a tank, has played hundreds of shows... I still love it, and I have kept it over much more expensive cabs.
My old drummer has the same cab, with a VL1001 to go with it...I've used that cab for rehearsals many times instead of lugging my cab over. I think it dates to 91, and sounds nice.

Kapo_Polenton":phozze7l said:
Racerxrated":phozze7l said:
Kapo_Polenton":phozze7l said:
Rick Lee":phozze7l said:
Flame away.

That's why I would guess that even RI G12-65's are still ahead when compared to the various version of the 75 you might find. I find the 65 to have a good amount of everything I like; crunch, mids,not flubby or hyped in any one direction, slightly rounded on top.

That or i just described a nice red wine..
:LOL: :LOL:
Yeah I favor the 65s over every other speaker period, for Marshalls and even Mesas..although the V30 and Mesa seem to be made for each other like 65s for Marshalls. But, if you spy a faded cloth 4x12 from the 80s for sale go check it out...chances are it will have the vented 75s and they are like a brighter version of the original 65..with tighter and bigger low end. Those faded cloth cabs are from 85-86.

Racerxrated":mlpcd4ld said:
Kapo_Polenton":mlpcd4ld said:
Rick Lee":mlpcd4ld said:
Flame away.

Would love to see a comparison between the old G12T-75's and the newer ones. I think with all the speaker versions over time its easy to lose track that the new ones you are trying, may not be the same as the ones that people are recommending.

blackba":24t19u6h said:
Racerxrated":24t19u6h said:
Kapo_Polenton":24t19u6h said:
Rick Lee":24t19u6h said:
Flame away.

Would love to see a comparison between the old G12T-75's and the newer ones. I think with all the speaker versions over time its easy to lose track that the new ones you are trying, may not be the same as the ones that people are recommending.

There are a few on youtube..

sutepaj":2d0mj4zs said:

I have the same 4x12" and I love them.

I like the vented ones better though. I have two 4x12"s loaded with them and they are great. My Splawns actually like the vented ones.

The new ones are meh.

Regarding the vented ones, they are well worth the $200 per cab. Lol.

G12T75 does sound different depending on the year, old ones are darker

and i love them, they are the best celestions for me, and i also like g12k100

Price":3vjk88vj said:
Any thoughts on the T75 “clones” out there? Talking about Eminence CV-75, Man o war and WGS HM75. Anybody try them?
The Eminence CV-75 is a Vintage 30-inspired speaker with the typical "smoothed out mid spike" that people seem to like. Not a G12T-75 clone by any means.

Their T75 clone is the Man o War... which is an attrocious-sounding speaker, IMO.

Back