Distortion pedal into poweramp???

mchn13

Starting a black metal project with a friend of mine, and basically want to run a boosted hm2 into a stereo chorus, into an old marshall mosfet poweramp i have for a cheap, stereo, kinda lo fi rig.
I know the pedal doesnt supply enough signal to get up to volume, so what could input in the end of the chain to provide a line level signal to the power amp??? Would like an mxr preamp pedal do it? Or a bb preamp pedal?
Dont want to go buy some crazy equipment, as I own all this junk right now, and already have my main rig.

mchn13":1xbask10 said:
Starting a black metal project with a friend of mine, and basically want to run a boosted hm2 into a stereo chorus, into an old marshall mosfet poweramp i have for a cheap, stereo, kinda lo fi rig.
I know the pedal doesnt supply enough signal to get up to volume, so what could input in the end of the chain to provide a line level signal to the power amp??? Would like an mxr preamp pedal do it? Or a bb preamp pedal?
Dont want to go buy some crazy equipment, as I own all this junk right now, and already have my main rig.
Pedal doesn’t have enough output? Are you certain?

If so the cleanest boost possible would be in order post preamp as you already know. Id keep it last to prevent clipping the chorus input.

No reason this cant work. Check manual for impedances dont assume either way.

What about a cheap rackmount mixer to run the pedalboard into before the power amp? It would be cheap and i already have the rack, etc.....

moltenmetalburn":3cku3ea7 said:
mchn13":3cku3ea7 said:
Pedal doesn’t have enough output? Are you certain?

If so the cleanest boost possible would be in order post preamp as you already know. Id keep it last to prevent clipping the chorus input.

No reason this cant work. Check manual for impedances dont assume either way.
i am actually not certain at all. I just assumed it wouldn't provide a line level to the power amp. May get a chance to try it on monday.

I *think* you would have to get it to line level. It's been a long time since I experimented with something like this.

I jammed today with my friend, and I used a SWR 350 into a Music Man 2x10 bass cab, with a Joyo OD pedal. Actually sounded huge, hahaha.

godgrinder":2hducjb6 said:
HM2 has enough output to drive a power amp, I use it staight into power amps all the time.
Good to know. Can you just click off the hm2 for a clean tone?

RaceU4her":34y2u665 said:
grab a TC mimiq and run them in stereo

Definitely going stereo. Ive got a boss stereo chorus at the end of the chain splitting it if im using the poweramp, or i can just run it mono into the front of a head or amp. Right now i have an eq shaping and slightly boosting a caroline wc2(soon to be the hm2),into a mr black reverb, then the boss chorus.
This is mainly a way i can keep my mesa rig in one rehearsal spot; and the pedal rig at another spot, and its portable.... also gives me a really different tone toolbox and make me write different.

mchn13":1bwgli77 said:
Since you're already unsatisfied with the hm2 chorus, what makes you think that adding a mxr or bbe (or both) pedal will? Drop the hm2 and start from roots, then start at it it's clear.

Always think out side of the tone toolbox.

Giga.Blast":19l4j3pr said:
mchn13":19l4j3pr said:
Since you're already unsatisfied with the hm2 chorus, what makes you think that adding a mxr or bbe (or both) pedal will? Drop the hm2 and start from roots, then start at it it's clear.

Always think out side of the tone toolbox.

Im not dissatisfied with my current tone at all; just trying to figure out how to get to line level for the poweramp. The pedal is ALMOST loud enough, but its a loud project, and the pedal output is about 20db under line level from what ive read:...
Also in to separate locations so trying not to have to move my current rig.

Looking for lo-fi, black tone on the cheap? My local CL is LOADED with Marshall SS amps for less than $100.00. You could have all 100 watts and destroy the amp at the end of the show and buy another amp (with squier guitar) and smash it at your next show! Rinse, dry, repeat, no repair needed.

Markedman":1qa1jhsf said:
Looking for lo-fi, black tone on the cheap? My local CL is LOADED with Marshall SS amps for less than $100.00. You could have all 100 watts and destroy the amp at the end of the show and buy another amp (with squier guitar) and smash it at your next show! Rinse, dry, repeat, no repair needed.
Hahahahhaha that would be SO funny

One of the coolest punk bands I saw, the guitar player's guitar had no volume or tone control and he would turn the amp on and off for each song. Of course it was screaming loud.

I was reading on Criss Oliva's rig and he used 2 SD1s, one into the next into a Yamaha power amp. Marshall cabs. Chorus and delay mixed in as well..the first SD1 level/gain maxed, tone 0 and the 2nd level/gain maxed with the tone maxed. Pretty nice tone with that rig.

Back