Van Halen update

311splawndude

R.I.P. Eddie Van Halen 10/6/2020
-------------------------------------

Some stuff in the news lately for those not paying attention. Some good, but some mostly bad... sadly enough.

Most likely you've seen the recently discovered and released footage of the live 1978 Fresno, Cali show. One of the best live bootlegs ever.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=206806

Then, David Lee Roth basically slipped that Eddie has taken a turn for the worse. He plays it off like everyone has already heard the rumors but I had not seen anything in print. I really don't like propagating bad info on the internet but as most of you know I at least try to back stuff up with facts and links. Here is a link to that interview:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... ealth.html

What have you heard on this?

We also found out recently that David is doing a House of Blues run in Vegas starting in January. Take my word for it.
OK, well here it is if you can read everything he spouts out in this interview. He MUST still be doing coke. No way this normal :)
https://www.vhnd.com/2019/09/12/i-am-la ... interview/

Now here, he blabbers on and on about how important he was to VH original sound/look. I love DLR, I really do, but sometimes he just needs to keep his mouth shut. Just rubs me wrong especially with Eddie's (potential) situation.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... solos.html

"No. I wrote the songs. I wrote every word you heard, every syllable, every melody. I structured out even the guitar solos on that first album. "Why do you think the solos [later] changed so radically? I sang the solos for 'Jamie's Cryin'' and 'Runnin' With the Devil'..."I structured those songs. I designed the backgrounds on the stage. I came up with the album covers. I thought of the stripes on the guitar. I'm the one who said, 'Call it Van Halen.'"

But then I found this on VHND. This guy, Jacob Duraps, walks through the 'mistake' Eddie made on the tapping run in 'Eruption' and the guy plays Eddie very well and sings also. Check it out:

https://www.vhnd.com/2019/08/26/eddie-v ... explained/

Took me a minute to catch it too but this guy actually kind of enunciates the mistake at 1:08. There is then a video of him and his band doing 'On Fire'. Not bad. Certainly better than I could do. Not really my thing though, I've seen other cover bands I like better. The last video he plays the 'Unchained' riff. Although probably correctly, it is not how I play it.

Your thoughts?

(I may use the rest of this for any updates)

The 1978 Fresno show is not recently discovered it’s been around for a fairly long time . It just gets upgrades in quality like the one posted here recently and even that upgrade was done early this year it just got re-posted on YouTube . Here’s what it looked 4 yrs ago , obviously the latest upgrade is a huge improvement

and nine years ago

I saw Van Halen around 2014 or so and Eddie's tone was phenomenal. Those stacks sending air across the crowd and just sounded so clear. DLR on the other hand was like watching a trader from Wall Street doing a Sammy Davis Jr. impression. Everything was "Panama! Boozly-boozly bop, ba-ba-ba-ba, Panama!" and then he would slide around the stage, etc. He did some part before Ice Cream Man where he was showing his dog in a video up on the screen and his story made no sense at all. My friend looked over at me and was like "WTF is this???!!" and we just started laughing.

Eddie is the reason I started playing guitar. Hearing "Eruption" sent me on the path. I'll always think he is the best, the innovator, the Dude. Some guitarists might be able to play faster, play blues better, etc., etc. but to me he was always pushing the envelope and not following the pack.

hammered":1jwnzf28 said:
The 1978 Fresno show is not recently discovered it’s been around for a fairly long time . It just gets upgrades in quality like the one posted here recently and even that upgrade was done early this year it just got re-posted on YouTube . Here’s what it looked 4 yrs ago , obviously the latest upgrade is a huge improvement

and nine years ago

This ^^^^^
I'm amazed that so many people haven't seen that clip all these years. Looks nice remastered though.

ElectricVoodoo":3u55wquw said:
hammered":3u55wquw said:

and nine years ago

This ^^^^^
I'm amazed that so many people haven't seen that clip all these years. Looks nice remastered though.

Yes pretty awesome the upgrade they were able to do to both the Fresno 78 and 79 clips. I originally got both those buthered shows on VHS in `98 and the quality was pretty rough

311splawndude":1of55ksk said:
I should have said 'recently remastered' - my bad.

No worries man I'm just OCD about rare concerts and stuff that have been around a while , but that's my problem LOL . In a year it'll probably get posted again as "unearthed VH footage from the vaults" LOL

Not sure about the first part but the second part he is dead on correct. He may very well be responsible for VH. His family is rich and jewish and the brothers didn't have a pot to piss in. Who knows, only them

This health rumor will last another 20 years until Ed dies of natural causes at the age of 89, and then people will say "See, I was right!"

I don't doubt Ed is dealing with some health issues (many of us are!)....but I'm assuming he has to be pissed off at DLR for getting this current media wave of 'health scare' headlines going. Dave obviously had to answer for the arena-tour hints he was dropping early this year, since nothing happened,...so he's said a few things eluding to Eddie "not answering the bell", etc.. and now there are tons of headlines making it sound like Ed's on his deathbed.

Looks like he’s been traveling to Germany for throat Cancer treatment. That’s what TMZ is reporting as of 20 minutes ago. Says he’s been doing these treatments for 5 years. Wish him speedy recovery.

Thanks for throwing this all together. I will say that Dave's self promotion got him the gig in VH to start with, so why would he stop? Having read a few books and lots of interviews over the years, he isn't wrong about a few things regarding their roots. Before he joined, they were more heavy metal, big fans of Black Sabbath and dressed the part. I guess we would call it Acid Rock now. Dave, like a lot of others, recognized their talent, but was into the show. He loved R&B and dancing, so when he joined the band, he did change their look and sound. Eddie pre Dave, stood there and looked down at his guitar (by most accounts), after Dave, he's out front, jumping around and messing up his hips. Dave did write the lyrics and melodies, simply compare Sammy era to Dave and you can hear and see that. He did recommend they change the name from Mammoth to Van Halen, as well as telling them to have their dad play on Could this be magic? So, yes, he did have a lot to do with their success. Having said that, it's been 40 years, why retread history again and again. For being so successful, his ego is pretty frail.

Back