Pickup Help: Gibson Les Paul

Check out Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat set in a set neck guitar. They are lovely tight, punchy pickups without being too hot and modern.

I love them in my explorer.

Cheers

I have an Aldrich in my custom and a Thornbucker + in my R8. I like the Aldrich, but it’s a little too compressed for me... also agree a little with Psychodaves comments. I just ordered a Bareknuckle Emerald to replace the Aldrich. I’m hoping that does the trick.

I have an Aldrich set in my Les Paul Classic and a BKP Rebel Yell set in my Standard. Both pickup sets are killer and I highly recommend both. The Aldrich set just sounds huge. The RYs have an awesome grind to the mid range, while not being quite as hot as the Aldrich pup.

romanianreaper":1y8doi0n said:
I'd say Aldrich all the way. I had one in my last Les Paul Standard and got a great tone when I was gigging. Cleans up really well and has great sustain, etc. You mentioned Zakk, who is a Marshall guy, and the Aldrich sounds great thru that type of tone.

Just a side note, I have Motor City 2nd Degree Blackbelts in my Les Paul Classic and those Motor City pickups are awesome!

I have a 2nd Degree bridge pup in my old Studio and it sounds amazing. I get a lot of guys asking how I’m getting the tones I get with that guitar. 50s wiring, Motor City and 500k pots. :thumbsup:

Is there anything that has the Aldrich output and bite but without what I hear to be extensive highs/ high end on solos?

I’m actually thinking what I really want is just a Gibson 500T with the EMG afterburner circuit?

glassjaw7":z9ko8vmp said:
I have a 2nd Degree bridge pup in my old Studio and it sounds amazing. I get a lot of guys asking how I’m getting the tones I get with that guitar. 50s wiring, Motor City and 500k pots. :thumbsup:

Yeah man, when I got mine it was a total shot in the dark. I didn't know much about Motor City Pickups other than reading a few reviews and was blown away. I know I'd dig the Afwayu as well, especially with my Friedman JJ Jr.

What year is your Studio? I had a 93' I sold to a friend back in the 90s and still regret getting rid of that guitar.

glpg80":3a687zwl said:
Is there anything that has the Aldrich output and bite but without what I hear to be extensive highs/ high end on solos?

I’m actually thinking what I really want is just a Gibson 500T with the EMG afterburner circuit?

I love the 500t. I have never cared for the afterburner tbh. I always found it to be too noisy, and I didn't like the way that it affected the high end of the frequency spectrum.

For me the aldrich set really depending on the guitar. For my '73 LP custom, I found that hot pickups are not what it needs, just over muddies everything up. Running Suhr Thornbuckers in there.

On my '03 Standard LE, I really like the Aldrich pickups. Guitar sounds very articulate and don't notice any harsh treble. I also really like them in parallel or coil split to get a little more versatility.

all that said, I am probably going to be selling the '03 Standard LE as I am being forced to down size. Been back and forth on which one to sell.

romanianreaper":1e6rfmz7 said:
I'd say Aldrich all the way. I had one in my last Les Paul Standard and got a great tone when I was gigging. Cleans up really well and has great sustain, etc.

The Aldrich in that guitar really blew me away!! Great guitar too...

Chris O":17ylccyn said:
romanianreaper":17ylccyn said:
I'd say Aldrich all the way. I had one in my last Les Paul Standard and got a great tone when I was gigging. Cleans up really well and has great sustain, etc.

The Aldrich in that guitar really blew me away!! Great guitar too...

Oh yeah, forgot you had that one! :)

Just replaced the Aldrich in my Custom with a BK Emerald. Love this pickup. Tight, clear and open. Not overdone on the low end and great grind. none of the compression I got from the Aldrich... which I didn’t like.

glpg80":2w8ihtch said:

Toss in a 500T, no afterburner and start from there. IMO they are great pups in a Les Paul, what I have in all of mine.

jabps":1kik8t1l said:
glpg80":1kik8t1l said:

Toss in a 500T, no afterburner and start from there. IMO they are great pups in a Les Paul, what I have in all of mine.

It really bothers me how little credit the 500t is. I mentioned it above. I have paid as little as $50 for one. Have them in a LP had one in an SG and in a V. Killer.

swamptrashstompboxes":4loq7ntk said:
jabps":4loq7ntk said:
glpg80":4loq7ntk said:

It really bothers me how little credit the 500t is. I mentioned it above. I have paid as little as $50 for one. Have them in a LP had one in an SG and in a V. Killer.

I know when i saw Ministry in the Late 90's or Early 2000's Al was Playing a Gibson with a 500T & said that it was his favorite pickup to use with his JMP-1.

Back