Dry vs Saturated or what's a healthy mix of both?

ape2000

My search for a new amp has made me realize I like the clarity, punch, and articulation of "dry" amps a la VHT. At the same time, I do enjoy more saturated sounds...not quite 5150, but Bogner, modded Marshall. What are amps would you say are at either extreme? And is there a magical unicorn that kind of treads both? I know the Wizard stuff seems to somehow exist as both at once to a degree just based on clips and descriptions.

And here's your Saturday afternoon gear lingo thread.

K-Roll":3n0bpa7m said:

I've come around more to Kemper and AxeFx. I guess I was thinking more of some sort of listing.
Like I know VHT has amps that vary in saturation but are generally on the dry side. Then Splawn stuff is a little more saturated (I think). I guess thinking more along those lines.

Boosting is the way to go. For a few hundred dollars you can have all the classic boosts that will more than likely take your “almost there” tones to right where you want them

RaceU4her":tlicmd96 said:
Boosting is the way to go. For a few hundred dollars you can have all the classic boosts that will more than likely take your “almost there” tones to right where you want them
This, especially with the Wizard MCI I had. It sounded dry/unforgiving but actually had a great feel, which led to it not being so unforgiving like a VHT Deliverance for example. But, it loved boosts so you could add in some nice saturation while still retaining that incredible clarity.

The OD boost thing for sure. Takes my MCII to varying levels of saturation depending on the pedal. WIthout the former it is a very un-saturated/open gain structure.

KSR & Engl will give you loads of saturation, tightness, clarity. KRS with the edge in saturation IMHO. With that of course comes the added compression. The interesting thing I always found with Engl was that despite there being gobs of usable gain and a fair bit of saturation, they still managed to feel "dry/unforgiving" to me. Cool amps for sure.

You can add saturation with pedals....but you can't make a amp dry with a pedal. So usually I start with a dry amp ....so I can do either.

I think the KSR is kinda the perfect level of saturation for me. It doesnt get sloppy like some high gainers Ive had.

I just got a Fortin Cali. It’s got a little bit of that Fryette/Wizard tightness/response but with some 5150 saturation with a touch of compression. It’s a killer amp.

ClintN667":17j6t3b5 said:
I think the KSR is kinda the perfect level of saturation for me. It doesnt get sloppy like some high gainers Ive had.
I totally agree. My Ares has a perfect balance of saturation and tightness. I’ve never even tried clean boosting it. Not necessary.

Beyond Black":36iwk1gi said:
ClintN667":36iwk1gi said:
I totally agree. My Ares has a perfect balance of saturation and tightness. I’ve never even tried clean boosting it. Not necessary.

What cab/speakers you using?

Too lazy to try and figure out multi-quoting here, but I'm 100% on the boost train. Years of being a clean amp with pedals for dirt guy makes me pretty welcoming to boosts/OD's/EQ's/tone-shapers. Other than a Budda and now an Electra Dyne, I haven't had the pleasure of owning something with some of its own usable gain. Even the ED I'd say is more vintage/crunchy. Loved the Budda though.

Someone recommended an Engl Artist Edition recently, so I took a look at those.
As for Splawn - I feel like I may like a Quick Rod more; but, someone three minutes from my house is selling a Nitro and I'm excited to try that out. I've got threads going to try and score a VHT or Baron currently.

Wizard's way out of my range, but I really dig what they're doing. Same with the Fortin. The KSR stuff has intrigued me between the Juno and Orthos.

Solid insights by all.

MetalHeadMike":20924rm9 said:
Beyond Black":20924rm9 said:
ClintN667":20924rm9 said:

Splawn 4x12 with Greenbacks, Old Marshall 4x12 with original G12-65’s, and a Marshall 4x12 with Scumback M75-H75’s X pattern. The Ares kills through every one of them. Not a finicky amp at all.

MetalHeadMike":39larvx6 said:
Beyond Black":39larvx6 said:
ClintN667":39larvx6 said:

I'm using a KSR 2x12 with a creamback 75 and a V30. Before I used it I had a Splawn 2x12 with 65's. It sounded great with both. I tend to stay on Master 1. That master and it's crunch channel are my happy places. I have been using my Marshall so much that when I come back to the Orthos I fall in love with it all over again.

Back