PayPal now requiring SSN

MetalHeadMike

Just a heads up....

PayPal is now requiring SSN and DOB info!

Apparently as of April, there is a dollar amount triggering a requirement that SSN and date of birth info be entered when sending money. For some this may not be a big deal, but I've had my identity stolen 5 times in 30 years due to my SSN being stolen; Absolutely no way in hell I'm entering my social into Paypal's server.

The way I understand it, just from some quick internet reading...so grain of salt here folks, PP has no legal right requiring SSN unless you are purchasing $20k or over annually (IRS reporting then requires SSN be provided) or you have applied for PP credit. I took it to PP upper mgmt the other day and they said there is no way around it and could not authorize my transaction without my SSN.

This caused me a huge headache trying to make a purchase from an RT member this past weekend and wanted others to be aware this change has taken place with PP so they could avoid potential hangups with their transactions.

I had a REALLY shady/unprofessional experience with Paypal earlier this year so this new policy tipped the scale for me in terms of continuing to use their service. Fuck PP!

HUGE thanks to the RT member I was buying from for being so patient & understanding while I figured out another way to get them payed for the item. This individual could have just said I'm not dealing with this bullshit, but they stuck with me and we worked it out & for that I am truly appreciative :cheers:

Stop using PP then. Go back to checks, cash, venmo, wire, etc. I hate paypal but buyers/sellers have grown to depend on it for some reason. I sold something on a car forum last month and the buyer insisted on sending me a personal check. Took longer, but hey... saved me on fees.

As a long time PP user/abuser/business client, they've actually required a SSN based on a dollar amount or the # of transactions exceeding a certain number.

Since I do international sales, PayPal is the biggest game going. Most people have it due to security, ease of use, despite the fees.

US fees are 3% plus a .30 transaction fee, and International is 4.45% plus. They make money of the currency conversion costs first, then their percentage.

It is what it is. I've had to register my personal SSN, my Federal Employer # and all that crap for a decade now. Sorry, but some of us have been doing this for quite some time. Sorry you feel you got blindsided!

Scumback Speakers":x27pc7sm said:
As a long time PP user/abuser/business client, they've actually required a SSN based on a dollar amount or the # of transactions exceeding a certain number.

Since I do international sales, PayPal is the biggest game going. Most people have it due to security, ease of use, despite the fees.

US fees are 3% plus a .30 transaction fee, and International is 4.45% plus. They make money of the currency conversion costs first, then their percentage.

It is what it is. I've had to register my personal SSN, my Federal Employer # and all that crap for a decade now. Sorry, but some of us have been doing this for quite some time. Sorry you feel you got blindsided!

You're a business. TIN is standard fare in your world. But yeah, if some rando is moving enough money on PP to necessitate a SSN/TIN, then they should know better. What's the threshold, like $10K or $20K or something? That's a lot of "used Craigslist gear" to be moving.

Scumback Speakers":x5oaj8im said:

Could you use your EIN?

FourT6and2":mjnxwonu said:
Stop using PP then. Go back to checks, cash, venmo, wire, etc. I hate paypal but buyers/sellers have grown to depend on it for some reason. I sold something on a car forum last month and the buyer insisted on sending me a personal check. Took longer, but hey... saved me on fees.

I thought my 6th sentence in would have given clear indication as to my future intentions regarding PP LOL!

I stopped using paypal a year ago.... I dont really buy off the forums anymore- since most prefer to use paypal.
It has the double benefit of preventing me from making all those unnecessary purchases from the classifieds and saving me $$

I was attempting to close my PayPal account this past weekend. I was told I have to wait 60 days from last transaction, which happened to last week and I was the Buyer.

Can't wait to shut it down!

lespaul6":3rq4935z said:
I stopped using paypal a year ago.... I dont really buy off the forums anymore- since most prefer to use paypal.
It has the double benefit of preventing me from making all those unnecessary purchases from the classifieds and saving me $$

This is exactly what I was thinking; silver lining for sure :thumbsup:

FourT6and2":1kp77kow said:
You're a business. TIN is standard fare in your world. But yeah, if some rando is moving enough money on PP to necessitate a SSN/TIN, then they should know better. What's the threshold, like $10K or $20K or something? That's a lot of "used Craigslist gear" to be moving.
I have a personal and business paypal account. They've required my SSN for the personal account for a long time. I can thank my 220 plus positives on eBay for that.

I am not thrilled about it, but some things I list and are not reasonably sellable local, I will do what I have to do.try listing 1940's-1950's military bugles local. Lol. I have two up on reverb right now. Purchased for $40 local and will fetch $250ish on reverb. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

So is there another alternative to Paypal? I mean I don't love Paypal by a long shot, but its a lot more convenient than dealing with a money order or personal check.

I like PayPal for doing purchases. I get folks to send me an invoice and then I can choose PP credit and do the 6 months no interest.

blackba":3luf8z6x said:
So is there another alternative to Paypal? I mean I don't love Paypal by a long shot, but its a lot more convenient than dealing with a money order or personal check.

It is convenient for sure, but man their cust service blows IME. I had an amp arrive with issues and the claim through PP was an absolute shit show. PP straight up lied to me every time I called them saying they had talked to the seller and the seller would not agree to a return/refund. This was an utter lie because I talked to the seller, whom I trust/believe, and he stated he had never talked to PP and never gave them such info. This drug on for a month. Every time I called PP they gave me some complete cock n bull story until I finally called them out.

Hence just one reason I WILL NOT give them my SSN.

I am now looking into what other options there are. This particular seller and I happened to use the same bank and I just did a direct transfer, but htat takes up to 3 business days.

blackba":oimrtb7b said:

Bank wire transfers. I belong to several watch forums, and it's pretty much what all sellers require on the higher end stuff.

JackTripper":1sr7jowe said:
blackba":1sr7jowe said:

Bank wire transfers. I belong to several watch forums, and it's pretty much what all sellers require on the higher end stuff.
From Euro to USD you would still eat some part of a 'fee'; if you select 'shared cost'. From Euro to Euro, it's free, when 'Shared' is chosen.
Banks also use their own currency exchange rate, but it's not as 'liberal' as the PP rates.

I would avoid Western Union alltogether. Aside from all the shady dealings it's used for, I remember some 15-16 years ago, when I started on Ebay, it would cost me $12-14 per transfer and at the time I was just buying $50 pedals. Having $14 slapped on top of that 5 times, made me go to Paypal pretty quick, but I agree, they're 'not ideal'... More like the lesser evil.

Ultimately it sucks but you have to blame the scammers and abusers for ruining it for the rest of us

Back