Duncan Pickups: Custom, Custom Custom, Distortion?

NewWorldMan

So, I've been using either EMGs (81/85/89/60) or a Gibson 496R/500T set for years. Don't recall the last time I used something different for more than just trying it out. I've had various pickups in guitars, but it's been so long (15+ years), it's all lost in the wash to me now. I'm usually an "if it ain't broke" type of player on pickups.

That said, let's try something new. I've much preferred ceramic pickups in general, haven't been a huge fan of most Alnico V I've tried. Looking at trying some Duncan pickups, specifically looking at:

Duncan Custom
Duncan Custom Custom
Duncan Distortion

I'm usually a hard rock and metal player, but have sat in with various buddies, done some '70s style Prog, etc. Opinions on these 3 pickups? About a 99% chance any of them would go in a LP.

Love the DD. Been through a few BK models (Which are great as well), Dimarzios (not a fan of the models I've tried) and other Duncans and keep coming back to the DD.

I have a Custom Custom and would recommend it.

I've had JBs, Customs, Invader, Super D, etc.

Check out the 'pickup selector' tool on their site if you have not already. The Custom Custom SD11 might be a little hot for what you want but works well for me (Drop C).

Also, they used to be really good about exchanging pickups with you if you are not satisfied. Granted it has been probably 8 years since I used that program but they literally shipped me a different bridge pickup to try even though I bought the original from Guitar Center. All I had to do was ship back the one I didn't want.

Can't recommend Duncan enough.

The Duncan Distortion is sort of like a well-behaved 500T. You might like it, seeing you like the 500T. It's one of my favorite passives, and I'm normally an EMG 81 kinda guy. If you've tried the JB, it's sort of like a JB on steroids. Bigger (but tighter) bottom-end, more grind up top, but a similar kind of upper-mid emphasis.

The Custom is sort of like a cross between a PAF and a high-output ceramic monster. It's gritty and rude like and relatively strong output, but it's also clear and open. It has a high-mid/lower treble thing going on, but it's also got scooped lower mids for clarity, and a wide, big, deep bottom-end.

Haven't tried the Custom Custom.

Also look into the Black Winter. It belongs in the Distortion/500T camp as well.

My favorite passive ceramic is by far the Jim Wagner Iron Man. I much prefer it to any Duncan, Bare Knuckel, Dimarzio, Motor City, etc. The Iron Man will be more articulate, tonally rich yet still sound brutal with a big tight bottom end, juicy mids, and a low mid growl

Also, for actives, the Fishman Fluences are worth trying. I think they’re like a better version of EMG’s. My favorite models are the KSE, Modern, and Abasi sets

Of those 3, I like the Custom best. Distortion was bland, Custom Custom was pretty dark but it’s been a few years. Custom has tight lows with good, not abrasive mids.

If you've been playing these pickups on production gibson guitars that long you've probably been using 300k volume and 500k tone pots, the 498t sounds really good with the 500k/500k setup, you might try that.

Monomyth":2ojvb0k8 said:
If you've been playing these pickups on production gibson guitars that long you've probably been using 300k volume and 500k tone pots, the 498t sounds really good with the 500k/500k setup, you might try that.

Actually, I've always dropped 500k pots in over the years. The 498T wasn't bad. Have a buddy that loves them.

Right on! Not a lot of people seem to know about that. I’ve been using a newer model dimarzio super distortion with that setup and it sounds really great to me, I like the pickups you’ve originally posted about but have yet to find a Seymour Duncan pickup I really like.

Monomyth":35n7sojy said:
Right on! Not a lot of people seem to know about that. I’ve been using a newer model dimarzio super distortion with that setup and it sounds really great to me, I like the pickups you’ve originally posted about but have yet to find a Seymour Duncan pickup I really like.

The Super Distortion has been on my radar for quite a while. It seems like it would be in the vein of the 500T that I like. It's one of those storied pickups that I feel like I should try at length at some point, but never have.

I think your experience is where my fear is...that I'll try a handful, and being the stubborn ass that I am, end up ripping them all out and end up with the same ole s#%* I've used for the last 20 years... :LOL: :LOL:

I've tried all those models and play similar styles and I'd say Custom. The CC is a great pick up, but the bottom end is a bit soft for the chugga chugga, fast riffing or really aggressive power chords. I'll probably try a DD again some day, but the times I've had there is something about the mid focus and fizz on the high end that kind of bugs me.

The Custom is just a big, beefy monster of a pick up. You hit that power chord and it is like...ahhhh. Great pick up.

I own both pups. The Duncan Distortion is similar to your EMG 81, strong upper mid cut but with a little more bass and slightly warmer. It is very tight in the low end. Fantastic for metal and good for hard rock.

The Custom has less high mids than the distortion but with extended bass, treble and balanced low mids. Very nice for rock and does metal quite well too. Also fairly tight.

Both can work equally well. Its very guitar dependent.

Not sure if true but remember reading the only difference between the Distortion and JB and Custom is the magnet..the winds are the same.

Monomyth":19mzlnqb said:

+1 500k pots and some PIO caps opens up a LP.

The JB does well in a LP for most, but it does not feel as good to me as the DD does in the same spectrum of guitar. The DD is nasty, the JB is just too pleasant and friendly for me.

Thanks for all of the feedback! Leaning toward a Distortion and/or Custom right now.

I keep seeing JB mentioned. It's admittedly not been on my radar, as I'm usually not an Alnico V fan in bridge pickups. Is it something I should consider again? Are current production ones good, or should I look into one from the '80s?

Back