Pedals that tighten but don't cut low-end: do they exist?

Rex Rocker":85l26hk1 said:
Interesting. Thank you dudes.

I'll look into the Timmy. Does it blend the clean signal along with the distorted signal the way a TS does?

I'm definitely interested in the Maxon OD820 as well... or the VOP-9, which seems to be the more pedalboard-friendly option.

Does the Custom mode on the Boss SD-1 have more output volume? I love my standard SD-1, I just wished it had more juice in the output the way my 808 does.

If you can solder, the BYOC Green Pony is a clone of the OD820. It is a cool pedal. Actually, this thread is making me want to get it out and mess with it again.

Just a heads up, I have an original bread board Tim and Timmy I got from Paul C when they first came out. A few years ago I wanted another Timmy so I bought a new one. It sounding very different from my original ones. Most notably the bottom end was a lot looser and blurry. I couldn’t sell the new one fast enough. I ended up finding another original one with the breadboard circuit board. Boom! It sounded like my other one... YMMV.

Thank you, dudes.

I already have a standard SD-1. I feel it actually cuts more low-end than my 808, LOL.

I have not tried the Ghoul Screamer. It does seem interesting, I'll look into it.

I do like the blue channel boosted as well, but I really like the red channel too. Just trying to figure out how to shape it to my liking. :)

Are you guys who mention the Spark talking about the full-size spark? I had the Mini Spark, and I don't think it's what I'm looking for here. It doesn't really give a "boosted" feel to me. It's way too transparent. But maybe the full-size Spark with the added options might be cool.

psychodave":6cxtdtud said:
Just a heads up, I have an original bread board Tim and Timmy I got from Paul C when they first came out. A few years ago I wanted another Timmy so I bought a new one. It sounding very different from my original ones. Most notably the bottom end was a lot looser and blurry. I couldn’t sell the new one fast enough. I ended up finding another original one with the breadboard circuit board. Boom! It sounded like my other one... YMMV.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure that was the Timmy that you sold me. That pedal was a loose, flubby piece of shit. I would have never bought it had I known it wasn’t like the Timmys everybody raves about on this forum. :thumbsdown:

Beyond Black":43ufn63r said:
psychodave":43ufn63r said:
Yeah, I’m pretty sure that was the Timmy that you sold me. That pedal was a loose, flubby piece of shit. I would have never bought it had I known it wasn’t like the Timmys everybody raves about on this forum. :thumbsdown:

I did the same. Muddy, shitty mess. I felt like I did something wrong selling it, like I was selling a turd. I thought maybe it was user error, but the consensus is that it really did suck that bad.

To the OP - I REALLY dig the MXR GT-OD. It's seen MANY boutique ODs come and go. It's a really killer pedal that stays tight, adds some girth, and is a little relaxed in the mids, compared to most. The Wylde OD is another that I've had 15 years. It's basically an SD-1, without the bass suckage, and maybe a little kick in the low mids. Fabulous with Marshalls. Angry sounding. Was my go-to with my Runt 50, and Helios 50.

JerEvil":1e8690gk said:
Have you tried the KH/DK Ghoul Screamer? I love it. Also would second the Fortin Blade.
I use a Ghoul Screamer. I find it sounds best used as a Tube screamer with all switches off. The moment I flick the bass, mid or treble switches it sounds artificial. However, the compression switches could work for the OP which allow the amps natural low end to pass through

Duncan 805 cuts it some but you can dial gobs of low end back in post with eq. My favorite OD to date. The SD-1w I just grabbed also leaves more intact than most others I've tried.

Beyond Black":2zxwo9fk said:
psychodave":2zxwo9fk said:

Aww. :aww:

I bought it expecting it to be like my others. I heard another one of the new ones and it was shit as well. Something must have changed in the design.

psychodave":wwa4zd5u said:
Beyond Black":wwa4zd5u said:
psychodave":wwa4zd5u said:

Aww. :aww:

I bought it expecting it to be like my others. I heard another one of the new ones and it was shit as well. Something must have changed in the design.

Maybe you guys got duds because I have a 2017 model and there's zero flub/mud :dunno: And this is coming from someone who craves tightness like a fiend Lol! Not saying it's the tightest pedal, but flub/mud definitely don't come to mind.

Rex Rocker":3faqt0a3 said:
Thank you, dudes.

I already have a standard SD-1. I feel it actually cuts more low-end than my 808, LOL.

I have not tried the Ghoul Screamer. It does seem interesting, I'll look into it.

I do like the blue channel boosted as well, but I really like the red channel too. Just trying to figure out how to shape it to my liking. :)

Are you guys who mention the Spark talking about the full-size spark? I had the Mini Spark, and I don't think it's what I'm looking for here. It doesn't really give a "boosted" feel to me. It's way too transparent. But maybe the full-size Spark with the added options might be cool.

The SD1 does cut a lot of bass. Not really my favorite, personally. The full-size Spark has 3 modes (fat/clean/mid) and added drive, bass, and treble controls, so you can set it up to be more or less transparent.

Back