Pedals that tighten but don't cut low-end: do they exist?

Rex Rocker

I'm usually running my TS808 in front of my amps. I've come to really get used to the feel of a boosted amp. However, it seems like not only does the red channel on my EVH work without a boost, it actually sounds a bit thin and scratchy with the TS808 in front. The feel of the red channel is already *almost* boosted, but not quite. So I'm wondering if there's anything that does the squishy tight voicing of the TS808 in front of a high gain amp without thinning out the low-end (preferably at all).

I'm pretty sure there's several "Tube Screamer without the low cut" pedals out there, but what is there that's metal-oriented? Are the Maxon OD820, VOP9, or OD9 Pro+ good for this?

:)

A parametric EQ lets you peg the midrange like a TS but only touches the low end if you want it.

I personally liked the Ibanez PQL and VFE Rocket because they give you that midrange control and also normal shelving filters for bass and treble so that you can add/subtract bass and treble in a natural way (parametric low and high controls can work but are a bit odd for this application).

Timmy would be good for that. Original Koko can get it done also but has less tweakability.

Non-TS type pedals that leave the lows intact include the SD1 Waza(Custom mode), OD1X, DS1X..the last two can add tight low end also.

A TC integrated preamp, Timmy or VFE standout are all excellent for mid boosting and dialing in a precise bass cut
Precision drive too, but that's almost the same as the timmy (adjustable low cut off vs adjustable low shelving)

The Maxon OD820 is extremely good for this. The Drive functions differently than other TS’s. With the Drive off it’ll actually fatten up the tone. Then bring it up to mix in the 808 circuit, which starts trimming the lows and tightening it it up more. With the Drive at 9:00 it will blend enough in to get it sounding like slightly bigger 808. Lower than that will make it even fatter.

Another one is the TC Spark Booster. Fantastic pedal. It will do what you describe as well.

Interesting. Thank you dudes.

I'll look into the Timmy. Does it blend the clean signal along with the distorted signal the way a TS does?

I'm definitely interested in the Maxon OD820 as well... or the VOP-9, which seems to be the more pedalboard-friendly option.

Does the Custom mode on the Boss SD-1 have more output volume? I love my standard SD-1, I just wished it had more juice in the output the way my 808 does.

I think I am in the minority, but I hated the Timmy I had. Mushy mess.

I go round and round with boosts and always end up back to the OD808. I know it cuts a bit of bass, but it just works for me.

I have the VFE clone that Steve Henning built and it is fantastic and will do what you are looking for( so I assume the original will too)..... but I still end up back with the OD808 :yes:

Rex Rocker":r23xec0x said:
Interesting. Thank you dudes.

I'll look into the Timmy. Does it blend the clean signal along with the distorted signal the way a TS does?

I'm definitely interested in the Maxon OD820 as well... or the VOP-9, which seems to be the more pedalboard-friendly option.

Does the Custom mode on the Boss SD-1 have more output volume? I love my standard SD-1, I just wished it had more juice in the output the way my 808 does.
The SD1W does. It’s clearer, more juice and leaves the low end intact.

Fortin Blade works well for this. Has the typical boost knob like a Grind or 33 but the Blade adds a Deep knob that allows you to dial back in lower frequencies. its an awesome pedal.

Try the Airis Effects Savage Drive. I liked it so much I got rid of my 33 for the reason stated by the OP that it just cuts too much low end (great for extended range I guess, not so much with 6 strings in certain setups with bright amps or guitars). The Bite and Tight knobs on the Savage Drive really help sculpt the tone.

I have the V3 with a V4 on order. Will see which one I like better between the two and off load the other. V4 is supposed to add some low mids.

https://www.airiseffects.com/savagedrive.html

https://www.airiseffects.com/store/p1/savagedrive.html

LCW":38d0dlfc said:
Try the Airis Effects Savage Drive. I liked it so much I got rid of my 33 for the reason stated by the OP that it just cuts too much low end (great for extended range I guess, not so much with 6 strings in certain setups with bright amps or guitars). The Bite and Tight knobs on the Savage Drive really help sculpt the tone.

I have the V3 with a V4 on order. Will see which one I like better between the two and off load the other. V4 is supposed to add some low mids.

Yep. This, or a good old EQ pedal. Or, try a Green Rhino, and dial the bass back in.

I'd say maybe an OCD, but they tend to add mud to some amps.

If it were me, I'd run an EQ in the loop, and not worry about it. A good OD will tighten it up, and an EQ can dial it right back in. That's how I roll, anyway.

But, for the red channel of an EVH, good luck. I hate that channel. It's a hot mess, no matter what you do. Your best bet is to thicken it up with an EQ in the loop, and dial back the blue channel.

napalmdeath":2wjx5ir0 said:
LCW":2wjx5ir0 said:

Yep. This, or a good old EQ pedal. Or, try a Green Rhino, and dial the bass back in.

I'd say maybe an OCD, but they tend to add mud to some amps.

If it were me, I'd run an EQ in the loop, and not worry about it. A good OD will tighten it up, and an EQ can dial it right back in. That's how I roll, anyway.

But, for the red channel of an EVH, good luck. I hate that channel. It's a hot mess, no matter what you do. Your best bet is to thicken it up with an EQ in the loop, and dial back the blue channel.

Love the Green Rhino

Rex Rocker":1wemfc8c said:

The Timmy is a TS, with adjustable instead of fixed bass shelving

Back