SLO clones?

the rossness

I’m looking for a SLO but $5k is crazy money for an amp, so I’d like to look for a clone. What’s the best SLO clone?

I didn’t enjoy the Jet City amps (I had a jca20 and jca100hdm), I didn’t like the Salvation MTS module. I thought the Jaded Faith MTS module got closer (though it was a bit noisy) and from clips I’ve heard, the Synergy slo module doesn't sound like a real slo, at least to my ears. My 5150 is fun to play but really doesn’t sound like a Soldano. And when I say SLO, I’m thinking Ratt/ Lynch type tones, very high gain. Bass/mids/gain cranked, treble pulled way back and a ton of presence.

What are my options for a Soldano SLO clone at a sane price?

...someone on here had a SLO Clone for sale, in the classifieds...for a damn song. not sure if thats still around, nor if it's what you are looking for.
there's always 46&2's clones... clean AF, and sound amazing as well....i remember hearing some clips...sounded killer (to me).

Markedman":24kqfg79 said:
Early 90's Dual Rec. F version.
I've heard from Mike B that if you want the Original tone, buy a Rev G 2 channel(Triple or Dual) and send it to him, he'll mod it to the original Rev C version. Which is the closest to the SLO. I plan on finding a Triple this yr and doing just this.

Here's a real Soldano I'm gassing for, but it's not an SLO. Actually, I think it sounds better than the SLO I used to have. These are on eBay and Reverb now for $1000-$1500ish.

Rick Lee":2yxkm8af said:
Here's a real Soldano I'm gassing for, but it's not an SLO. Actually, I think it sounds better than the SLO I used to have. These are on eBay and Reverb now for $1000-$1500ish.

:doh:
Good lord, I hope you're kidding...I've played one of those. Ugh. A Hot Rod 50 sounds 10x better. And the SLO sounds 10x better than the HR. Must've been something wrong with that SLO....

Huh? You don't think that sounds awesome? I love that tone.

My SLO ran like a top. It's just that my tastes were turning toward a more vintage tone and I needed to free up room and funds for older Marshalls. The SLO went to a good home.

The lower gain stuff sounds decent but it quickly falls apart with any amount of gain. What’s good for the goose isn’t always good for the gander.

Rick Lee":36sin6x1 said:
Huh? You don't think that sounds awesome? I love that tone.

My SLO ran like a top. It's just that my tastes were turning toward a more vintage tone and I needed to free up room and funds for older Marshalls. The SLO went to a good home.
Maybe there was an issue with the one I tried out; but this was a guy that had 4 SLOs, 2 HR 100+, an Astroverb, and this 60w early production Soldano...it sounded very average compared to the others in his collection. It didn't stay long in production, only made for a few yrs. But not even in the same conversation, for my ears, with an HR let alone the SLO.

MrDowntown":3d5q2mn5 said:
...someone on here had a SLO Clone for sale, in the classifieds...for a damn song. not sure if thats still around, nor if it's what you are looking for.
there's always 46&2's clones... clean AF, and sound amazing as well....i remember hearing some clips...sounded killer (to me).

Thanks for the kind words. I only built the one, though. I don't build SLO clones or anything like that at the moment. I'd say if someone wants an actual SLO clone, just buy one pre-built from C3 Amps. As far as SLO-ish amps from other companies, there's Framus Cobra, Rectos, 5150s and all the variants, Rhodes/KSR, and Mezzabarba.

Back