EVH tone!!! Tim Pierce and LA Sound design!

Not much for chasing this stuff,
VH was a bit before my time.
But no denying it after watching, Eddy was the king of great tone.
Thanks for sharing.

Someone bought this rig for their home rig? Must be nice.

LA sound design guy looks a little like the Francis guy from Pee Wee Herman. Has some pretty killer chops and really knows his shit.

BFQ181KCAAAXvXG.jpg

Funny that he chose to use a SL68. Pete Thorn has his all on 10 in this clip and it sounds great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZeRhczwoj8&t=24m56s

Damn that is a nice amp.

Its a combo of everything over 3-4 decades. Early rig is no where near that amount of stuff.

I feel like any rig sounds better at home if you can split a wet/dry setup through two cabs. Lots of fun to be had. You are probably better off live with an atomic or Helix on the floor at a small club but at home or recording, two cabs or two amps can sound huge!

Not really 100% there IMO. Something seems a bit off to me. The detune is weird. I had an H9 at some point and i could not get the -9 +9 setting to sound like VH. Everything seems too congested, needs to breath more. The Balance tone is where it's at, my favortite VH tone. My G system's detune effect is way closer, almost dead on.

I think that somebody spent wayyyy too much money on that. Sounds good though for sure, but to each their own. IMO.

I forgot to comment on the tone. I think it sounds fantastic BUT agree with everyone that it isn't the first Van Halen album tone by any means. If they really want to hit that, they need the board and mic pre's that were used in the recording. That goes for just about anything you try to replicate. Now that said, I think this guy wanted the brown tone across two decades of album tones and I think this rig does that for him. If I am spending that type of money though, I want Mick Mar's tone!

Most of the effects in that rack are not that much money really... not anymore. The Suhr amp, the Kerry Wright cabs, and the H&H V800 are spendy though.

this!
When the fuck has EVH EVER run that much delay???
Holy christ

reverymike":1e105lqi said:
He's got his effects 100% wet, which EVH didn't do. Great sounding rig though.

I think that sounds pretty amazing! In my opinion the piece missing is probably that crisp presence that is normally really apparent. He seems to have it setup for playing alone where you bring in more low end and turn the treble down. We all know for the recordings, he would have to do the opposite.

I doubt there is anyone who has done more research and has more direct knowledge of Ed's setup over the years than Dave. I have a feeling also that the sound we are hearing on youtube doesn't even come close to that in the room with that rig.

Warren Huart did a decent job of getting the tone with this ragtag bunch o' kids. Playing aside (they did a good job) but strictly on tone. Go to the end to hear the guitar tone.

Back