And neck pickup santanaesqe violin tones

But i just have not been able to gel with the bridge
Pickup modern rock tones ive played
Custom 24. , Ce24 , Mcarty
I find they just dont push the amp
Enough and sound kind of flat
Honky and compressed

The DW CE24 looks like it certainly should be better
For the chunk and tight percussive thing while still retaining the beautiful cleans and singing neck tones

Also w a thinner neck profile. More like a charvel

Any comments good or bad welcome

That new faded blue smokeburst is killing me! Also, the knob placement is fantastic. I always have anxiety about knobs/switch placement after buying a JP15 only to discover the pickup selector was right in the f-ing way. Not sure I'd buy new but once I can find one in blue for about 2k it will be mine.

I'm talking with my rep about ordering a blue DW CE24. It has mojotone tomahawks in it, which should be decent enough pickups.

I have one. It plays excellent. I didn't like the stock Tomahawk pickups, though. The bridge pickup was too bassy for my tastes. Switched to Dimarzio Titan bridge, 36th anniversary PAF, which covers the whole range of clean to high gain sounds I need.

I had one for a while. Played excellent. The bridge pickup was quite "soft" in the low end.

Emg77":2l9bmw2n said:
I had one for a while. Played excellent. The bridge pickup was quite "soft" in the low end.

When you say soft bass was it lacking bass ?
Or just a rounded low end with not much attack

My complaint with the current PRS pickup is they sound too soft and warm and lack attack like
Say a JB

gtr31":36rjv4ff said:
Emg77":36rjv4ff said:

My complaint with the current PRS pickup is they sound too soft and warm and lack attack like
Say a JB

What kind of music are you playing? I've closely worked on and played about 5 PRS DGT's, alongside casual setups on handful of artist packages, and nice 10 tops. All the pickups sounded great for cleans or rock type stuff. They all sounded really "soft" or loose in high gain or modern metal type stuff. They just lack the character for that type of application.

In my 93 PRS CU24 I went through a metric fuck ton of pickups. They all sounded dark and undefined. Maybe I have an exceptionally dark guitar, but the one set that made the difference is the Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega. I put them in years ago and they will never come out of that guitar now. They were made specifically for a PRS under high gain while still being articulate, tight with good bass response. Try them out in a PRS and you won't regret it.

I'm definitely interested in the Alpha/Omega. I have a Tremonti in the bridge of my Tremonti Baritone and it absolutely slays. Also curious about the \m/ pickups but I've heard the Tremonti is actually better.

On a different note, I emailed PRS about the Floyd nut on the DW, as they are always radiused at 12". They said the Floyd nut is custom made for PRS (which I presume means 10") and they set the bridge up to work with the neck radius. The info is a little obscure but it sounds like nut, fretboard, and bridge saddles are all at 10".

I have a Tomahawk pickup. I just pulled it out of my Charvel for an Aldrich, but I am close to putting it back. They're both really good.

I wouldn't describe the Tomahawk as having soft bass at all. It has a lot of big lows, but I feel they are really tight. It's a very high output pickup but with lots of clarity.

gtr31":13nkhvu6 said:
Emg77":13nkhvu6 said:

Say a JB

In this particular guitar I had it setup for Drop C. There was plenty of bass frequency but yes seemed very round without much cut on the low-end. But it was an excellent playing guitar.

vultures":2xjtrum2 said:
gtr31":2xjtrum2 said:
Emg77":2xjtrum2 said:

Say a JB

What kind of music are you playing? I've closely worked on and played about 5 PRS DGT's, alongside casual setups on handful of artist packages, and nice 10 tops. All the pickups sounded great for cleans or rock type stuff. They all sounded really "soft" or loose in high gain or modern metal type stuff. They just lack the character for that type of application.

In my 93 PRS CU24 I went through a metric fuck ton of pickups. They all sounded dark and undefined. Maybe I have an exceptionally dark guitar, but the one set that made the difference is the Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega. I put them in years ago and they will never come out of that guitar now. They were made specifically for a PRS under high gain while still being articulate, tight with good bass response. Try them out in a PRS and you won't regret it.

A lot of the modern rock , Shinedown ,Saint Asonia that stuff
but yes I agree with your above assessment on the PRS pickups ,they lack bite and are on the darker warmer side vs percussive ,

I had tried the Holcomb which I think has the Omega and it was really nice , definitely percussive and bright

Back