Toroidal vs regular power transformer in terms of sound?

Thunkful

Banned
My amp has a toroidal power transformer and what I like about it is the light weight of it, but does it affect the sound in any way?

I've heard they are pretty good transformers... they just dont look right from a traditional aesthetic point of view, if that matters.

I’ve no practical experience in the matter but have read many accounts of Toroidial being more hifi. Less growl, less harmonics being generated in lieu of a more linear (flat) response. Not my idea of good tone.

thegame":2qro0rpb said:
I’ve no practical experience in the matter but have read many accounts of Toroidial being more hifi. Less growl, less harmonics being generated in lieu of a more linear (flat) response. Not my idea of good tone.

How does a power transformer "generate harmonics" and impart a "hifi" sound and have "less growl" ? Basically how does a PT impart any sound characteristics over another? As far as I understand it, all the PT does is convert the mains voltage into a higher secondary voltage the amp can use—along with any other taps for heaters, accessories, etc. Maybe you're talking about the output transformer?

FourT6and2":1hpiwaam said:
thegame":1hpiwaam said:

How does a power transformer "generate harmonics" and impart a "hifi" sound and have "less growl" ? Basically how does a PT impart any sound characteristics over another? As far as I understand it, all the PT does is convert the mains voltage into a higher secondary voltage the amp can use—along with any other taps for heaters, accessories, etc. Maybe you're talking about the output transformer?
I read something about this also. Just reminding that i'm talking about the PT here. OT on my amp is just a regular Hammond Transformer.

FourT6and2":3i74pu56 said:
thegame":3i74pu56 said:

Yes I was thinking of the OT, which has much more influence on the tone than the PT

Back