Kemper "no bounce" help

Monkey Man":cjwkuoeh said:
Yum. That Friedman's a tasty choice for your baseline tones, man. :rock:

Thanks man, it eliminated all the tweaking that drove me insane just going all Axe. I use the amp modeling for clean tones and anything else that's not the main sound I have.

I'm not down on the Kemper, it's an amazing piece of gear.

It sure is. The "tweak index" is as low as you could reasonably expect on such an awesome piece of digital kit.

I've seen so many tube heads ditch their gear after buying one it's not funny. You just gotta get used to the "paradigm" of it being digital / digitally-controlled and whatnot, as it is with any non-tube / non-transistor amp.

Unfortunately for me..for now..the feel and volume from my favorite tube amps still wins me over in that band situation. Combining the two gives the best of both worlds with zero compromise. Actually really looking forward to the next evolution of digital..especially power amp related.

Sounds good man.

As long as you get it properly-mic'd and whatnot when (if) you ever record, you're not missing out on anything unless you hanker for more variety in amp tones.

Monkey Man":3iz77pi4 said:
It sure is. The "tweak index" is as low as you could reasonably expect on such an awesome piece of digital kit.

I've seen so many tube heads ditch their gear after buying one it's not funny. You just gotta get used to the "paradigm" of it being digital / digitally-controlled and whatnot, as it is with any non-tube / non-transistor amp.

Yeh I don't get what ppl are worried about tweaking with the Kemper.
It's pretty much like an amp: Scroll through the profiles you have, find one that is 90% there, fiddle with the bass/mid/high to get it even closer, add delay/reverb/boost/eq/compression, set those up like you would like, and you're done. Pretty much the same process of shopping for an amp/cab and setting it up one you get home. You'll be tweaking those basic parameters for a while but once you get your tone you stick to it.
Yes, you do have options like definition, sag, clarity, pick attack, ability to change the cab and tweak 4/5 cab settings, and other options specific to multi-effects pedals/profilers/modelers which may seem overwhelming, but you really don't need to delve into those as long as the main profile is 90% there. I used to tweak them all and end up with a million versions of a profile and couldn't decide which I liked best.
Now it takes me around half an hour to find and setup a new profile that I am 100% happy with. Most of the settings I don't even touch anymore.
The only "overwhelming issue" is the same one I had with impulses, which is having a million cabs/impulses and a million amp profiles and feeling that I needed to try every permutation of combinations. But that really, really, is not needed (but an awesome option ton have), and is the main reason I didn't go with a modeler.
Will never go back to tube amps, ever.

Mate, you summed that up spectacularly! I agree with every point / issue you touched on. :rock:

The only parameter I tend to tweak apart from the stack EQ is Definition. I just love it, and more often than not I adjust it before I even hit the EQ, but that's it; I rarely bother with anything else.

FWIW I don't tweak anything deep on the Kemper profiles anymore aside from typical amp rigs- a little more treble, a little less/more mids, OD on/off. If you are cranking anything on a profile it is just easier to find another one that works well as is. For me, that usually means profiles that I captured.

I don't even stray too far from the few amps I settled in with last Spring. It's a glorious machine.

..I agree with you guys...and by "tweak" it's more a jump from profile To profile to see which sounds better. If it's awful... I just jump to the next. If it sounds good, I'll EQ-it or try it with a diff cab profile, something like that. But I do spend quite a bit of time checking out all the profiles available. And after rolling through 10-12 profiles and then the various cab combos... holy smokes, it don't take long to chew up a few minutes :yes:

SC wound up bringing me a couple guitars...but I do have a few hundred in Amazon gc's left over. So, I may get an FRFR to pair with it...just to see/feel the difference.

I appreciate all the feedback guys!

Monkey Man":2lnu3598 said:
Mate, you summed that up spectacularly! I agree with every point / issue you touched on. :rock:

The only parameter I tend to tweak apart from the stack EQ is Definition. I just love it, and more often than not I adjust it before I even hit the EQ, but that's it; I rarely bother with anything else.

What does Definition do for you? All I ever get out of it is that it makes a profile darker/muddier the more below 8 I go. The only reason i hesitate to set them all to 10 is some perceived idea that I shouldn't, so I invariably always set them to 8-9 by default, but can't really make out a difference b/w 8 and 10.

Ahh... I've never raised the setting past whatever the default for a given Profile is, so I don't even know how 9 or 10 would sound if imposed on a lower-default setting.

I use it to "vintagise" Profiles, to add mojo and graininess, so I'm always lowering it if I make any adjustments.

Theoretically if I wanted to modernise a Profile I'd raise the parameter, yielding a more-immediate, "transistory" feel, but I've never found myself doing this. After all, there're plenty of "tight", "immediate-sounding" Rigs out there, like just about any 5150 flavour.

Hope this makes some sort of sense to you, brother. :thumbsup:

So I had a few minutes to sit down this evening. I decided to run my Stage through my efx loop of my 50w tube amp, connected to a 212 with greenbacks. My goodness what a night/day diff. My tube amp has a MV on the rear panel so I can run it down quite low and still play and it still sounds really good.

The bounce, sustain, feel, swag...all that shit...it’s there w/o having to tweak anything. Just turn cabs off and jam.

Different question... instead of running through my tube amp/loop...could I run it through something like a EV Mag44, then to my 212?

Back