Get your wallet ready Adam Jones fanboys - sig LP

I have played many Silverbursts and there is no secret mojo to any of them (a couple were actually dogs, heavy and dead sounding). There is no secret mojo to anything Adam Jones is doing other than having quality gear, unlimited recording time and the best studios and engineers money can buy. I swear some people could advocate people taking a shit in their pickup cavities before replacing their pickups and some "tonezzzz chaser" out there would try it. Remember when Adam Jones told everyone back in the 90's that he kept his amps in deep freezers to retain their tone? I wonder how many dummies went out and tried that.

Well I'm just glad as an EVH worshiping era guy we never got swept up in any crazy tone myths with our gear...

sutepaj":1hresa9l said:
I have played many Silverbursts and there is no secret mojo to any of them (a couple were actually dogs, heavy and dead sounding). There is no secret mojo to anything Adam Jones is doing other than having quality gear, unlimited recording time and the best studios and engineers money can buy. I swear some people could advocate people taking a shit in their pickup cavities before replacing their pickups and some "tonezzzz chaser" out there would try it. Remember when Adam Jones told everyone back in the 90's that he kept his amps in deep freezers to retain their tone? I wonder how many dummies went out and tried that.

Exactly. And Danny Carey tells people his drums sets are cosmically aligned to some spirit chakras or something every night when they set up the kit on stage.

You know what the secret to Adam's tone is? A Les Paul into a cranked Marshall and a boat load of creativity and inspiration.

Mailman1971":7gru2zds said:
I’ve owned 8 Les Pauls.
Just cannot get with them. :aww:

I feel your pain! I buy one about every 6 months hoping it will be the one. Sell it pretty much a week after I get it, just do not like the shorter scale length.

Rock Bodom":1zdcgonp said:
Well I'm just glad as an EVH worshiping era guy we never got swept up in any crazy tone myths with our gear...

I'm always surprised to read a lot of negatively directed towards the folks chasing Adam Jones' tone. I mean, I think it sounds really good? Sure sure, you can get "close enough" with plenty of things, but that really is no different than the EVH tone chasing. A bone stock 1959 and a Fryette Power Station got me plenty close enough to that sound, but I totally understand why people keep searching for extra little things to get closer. It's all in good fun.

godgrinder":iorun6pe said:
Before obsessing over which Duncan he uses, I'm more interested in whether he keeps the stock 100k tone pots in his LPC's. Because apart from the bridge vol they look like stock ones. That'd make more difference than different Duncans.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=199896
file.php

If you zoom in I swear it looks like you can read '500k' on the bridge tone pot. Look at around the 2:00-3:00 mark.

I learned on Strats and hated Les Pauls. They felt clunky and uncomfortable. Then I got a great deal on a Studio and after playing it a lot I learned to love the feel of them. I always have at least one.

One thing about LPs is that there are a bazillion of them and if you play a bunch you'll find one you like better than the one you have. Purchase, Rinse and Repeat. I can't imagine the regret getting stuck with an 'average' signature model.

Rock Bodom":1ale25ps said:
So, Norlin silverburst fever is officially on. Here are some highlights from Reverb this morning:

If you want the cheapest, a mere $5K will get you this 79:
https://reverb.com/item/30697893-ra...-original-t-tops-adam-jones-tool-silver-burst

Don't worry, you're not paying just for look, the buyer has disclosed the following:
"The tone of this guitar is heaven on earth! Compared to other Gibsons, the Silverburst is louder and has a richer tonal spectrum."

But wait, for slightly more ($5199 but also accepting offers), there's some competition with another 79:
https://reverb.com/item/31002887-gibson-les-paul-custom-1979-silverburst
And some pretty convincing info here: "Adam Jones or Tool fans, this is the one. You truly cannot get much better, and the sound and tone are unbelievable. "

But we're not done, lets step up to another 79 for $6295 (accepting offers)"
https://reverb.com/item/30734841-gibson-les-paul-custom-silverburst-the-best-really-1979
Why pay more for this one? The buyer explains clearly in the title: "'The Best' Really!!"

For around the same price, an 81 for $6500 (accepting offers), never mind the wear, it's all "mojo":
https://reverb.com/item/31006250-gibson-les-paul-custom-silverburst-1981
Seller discloses: "I have had a few silver bursts from the late 70s, early 80s, but this was the best one I've ever had"

But here's the real prize...another 81, it can be yours for $8498 (+$125 shipping, no offers:)
https://reverb.com/item/30372452-gibson-les-paul-custom-1981-silverburst
No hard sell on this one, simply "One of the cleanest Les Paul Customs we have had."
:LOL: :LOL:

Like a few others, I totally get the LP thing..tone, playability etc. But, they just feel odd after a while. Superstrats for me.

But, for the hardcore silverburst guys...try a Greco from 78-89, 500 or so shipped from Japan and send it to Lee at GMW or someone else and have them refinish it for you. You'll have less than a grand into it, and it'll play amazing. I've had 3 and they all were as good or better than any LP standard I've picked up, and not far from some customs.

SpiderWars":8l0hhcs1 said:
godgrinder":8l0hhcs1 said:
Before obsessing over which Duncan he uses, I'm more interested in whether he keeps the stock 100k tone pots in his LPC's. Because apart from the bridge vol they look like stock ones. That'd make more difference than different Duncans.

file.php

If you zoom in I swear it looks like you can read '500k' on the bridge tone pot. Look at around the 2:00-3:00 mark.

Not being a wise ass, so hopefully this doesn't come out as such :) , but it's written on a sticker on the back plate, right up top.

Philhouse":24g2u6iy said:
SpiderWars":24g2u6iy said:

Not being a wise ass, so hopefully this doesn't come out as such :) , but it's written on a sticker on the back plate, right up top.

It's just the bridge vol pot that was replaced. The other 3 look like the stock pots in a Norlin Silverburst (300k vol + 100k tone).

Philhouse":xr6xl8sp said:
SpiderWars":xr6xl8sp said:
godgrinder":xr6xl8sp said:

file.php

I think that is referring to the Volume pot. I was referring to the tone pot...which looks to be non-stock at 500k. But it is blurry, hard to tell

sutepaj":ed5yoaq0 said:
I think they are ugly after they age and they are heavy AF but mine is a sick sounding and playing guitar. I am sure there are duds but the few I have played and the one I own are beastly.

I owned a new one in the late 80's. It sounded like the rest of the Les Paul's I have owned and played.
A lot of Les Paul's I have played are not bright enough or not resonate enough for my taste.

panhead":24udo2q0 said:
Never understood the appeal myself. I don't care if he plays a Teisco through a gorilla honestly. Diff strokes for diff folks. :rock:

Same here, never liked em'...More power to ya if ya do...Love Les Pauls though

Did this happen at NAMM?
Haven't seen a mention of it anywhere yet. Apparently Adam was attending the Gibson booth, so would have presumed the guitar would have been discussed/displayed?
Maybe not.

Back