Mesa/Boogie standard os vs. traditional

Racerxrated":2wycrff6 said:
acalaf":2wycrff6 said:
I flipped like 6 heads when I had the OS cab. Since getting the traditional, I have not flipped a head, or a cab for that matter. I bought a second traditional. Make sure you get a straight though, not a slanted.
:confused:
If you want to hear what you really sound like, get a slant. With a straight cab you need to get on your knees to hear what's actually coming out of the cab. More perceived low end, I'll give you that. But I always go with a slant because I want to hear myself. B cabs muffle the high end too much for me.
This.

Straight cabs misrepresent your tone and shroud deficient frequencies.

Reactions: LCW
I also have a slant OS & a straight OS right now. If I sit right in front of them they still sound completely different. FWIW.

GJgo":39xyrlwi said:
Another opinion I'm forming is that the OS REALLY shines with the big Triple & Coli power sections. The 4 tube power section amps I have don't sound as good with it as they do with a smaller cab. Probably not a popular opinion, but something to think about. More space wants more HP.

To add to this, when I play my 100W Mark or Recto power sections through my OS it sounds boxy. When I play my 150+W power sections it sounds full & lush.

Racer, interestingly enough the IIC+ 60W I picked up sounds great through the OS. Interesting since my IIC++ HRG & JP-2C both sounded boxy through it. FWIW.

GJgo":15cefd4i said:
GJgo":15cefd4i said:
Another opinion I'm forming is that the OS REALLY shines with the big Triple & Coli power sections. The 4 tube power section amps I have don't sound as good with it as they do with a smaller cab. Probably not a popular opinion, but something to think about. More space wants more HP.

To add to this, when I play my 100W Mark or Recto power sections through my OS it sounds boxy. When I play my 150+W power sections it sounds full & lush.

Racer, interestingly enough the IIC+ 60W I picked up sounds great through the OS. Interesting since my IIC++ HRG & JP-2C both sounded boxy through it. FWIW.
:rock:
I think though, that just like amps each cab can sound different even if they are identical. Mostly, they'll be consistent but there are differences. I remember reading here long ago, that at an amp fest out east a Recto cab sounded the best and was tight with ANY amp they tried. Shouldn't be but there it was. When I had my Mesa traditional with a Rivera V30 they both sounded almost identical, with the Rivera a little more scooped. My Recto cab I have now, is the same tone I remember my last traditional having but with more low end. And it's a very tight cab with my Coliseum. I think If I'm gonna recommend one Mesa cab it's the OS. Simply because, if you need it tighter just put some foam on the back panel and it will tighten up a bunch. Use velcro so it can be easily removed. Quick and simple; I have some cheap foam tiles I used to soundproof my jam room and they work great to lower that boominess...easy to do and easy to reverse.

GJgo":2kxmoooj said:
I also have a slant OS & a straight OS right now. If I sit right in front of them they still sound completely different. FWIW.
I've had multiple Marshall A/B cabs...when I play the B cab its dark and dead sounding...until I get down and get my ears in front of the speaker projection. Then it sounds just like the A cab, while standing. If you only buy straight cabs you'll have to dial the amp in while you're on your knees in order to hear what it really sounds like. If you just stand there, you'll be fooled into thinking it sounds dark since you aren't hearing the speaker projection. In my experience anyway.
Years ago my only cab was a B cab; I'd have to bring a chair up on stage so I could lean the cab back so I could hear myself better. Eventually I sold it and bought a slant. Only had slants ever since.

Reactions: LCW
Racerxrated":15sqamgv said:
GJgo":15sqamgv said:
GJgo":15sqamgv said:

I think though, that just like amps each cab can sound different even if they are identical. Mostly, they'll be consistent but there are differences. I remember reading here long ago, that at an amp fest out east a Recto cab sounded the best and was tight with ANY amp they tried. Shouldn't be but there it was. When I had my Mesa traditional with a Rivera V30 they both sounded almost identical, with the Rivera a little more scooped. My Recto cab I have now, is the same tone I remember my last traditional having but with more low end. And it's a very tight cab with my Coliseum. I think If I'm gonna recommend one Mesa cab it's the OS. Simply because, if you need it tighter just put some foam on the back panel and it will tighten up a bunch. Use velcro so it can be easily removed. Quick and simple; I have some cheap foam tiles I used to soundproof my jam room and they work great to lower that boominess...easy to do and easy to reverse.

I disagree. Clearly the correct answer is to only play 6 tube power sections!! :rock:

My Coli with the OS straight is a force of nature.

I did play a guy's traditional straight with my IIC++ once, and it was really dark. But not boxy. The Trad slant I had was dark & boxy, the worst cab I've had. I agree if you're only going to have one to have an OS, but I'd differ in suggesting the straight OS because the one I have now is SO well balanced and perfectly in phase.

I owned both the traditional and standard OS mesa 4x12's. I ended up selling the standard OS cab. I think the OS cab adds a lot of bass frequencies, too much for my Diezel. If your amp is bass heavy, you will find the traditional works better for you IMO. If you want to add some depth, darkness, bass etc, then you might like the OS better. Both are great cabs. :rock:

GJgo":32vh1fav said:
Racerxrated":32vh1fav said:

I disagree. Clearly the correct answer is to only play 6 tube power sections!! :rock:

My Coli with the OS straight is a force of nature.

I did play a guy's traditional straight with my IIC++ once, and it was really dark. But not boxy. The Trad slant I had was dark & boxy, the worst cab I've had. I agree if you're only going to have one to have an OS, but I'd differ in suggesting the straight OS because the one I have now is SO well balanced and perfectly in phase.
:LOL: :LOL:
So, maybe with an OS straight I'd change my mind? I haven't had one. But I have had multiple Marshall B cabs, and one Mesa Road Ready straight with MS12s. That was one dark and muffled cab, even with the Coliseum. But sitting on the floor it sounded great! But another perceived dark B cab to me, playing next to it. I think a Mesa OS straight, with the full size top has a slanted baffle? That would make a difference since the Marshall and Road Ready were 3-4 inches shorter, with a straight baffle..not sure anymore since it's been awhile since I've owned one.

I don’t think the OS is flubby at all, just a more thunderous tight. I’ve spent time with the traditional cabs and dig those as well, just a different vibe. Quicker bass response. A lot of that depends on your playing of course.

dvoricci":3eed08zc said:
I don’t think the OS is flubby at all, just a more thunderous tight. I’ve spent time with the traditional cabs and dig those as well, just a different vibe. Quicker bass response. A lot of that depends on your playing of course.
What would you suggest for a Peavey 6505+? What would you suggest for a Mesa Mark V? I currently own a 6505+ and play mostly thrash and heavy metal like Metallica and Megadeth. I am planning on buying a Mesa Mark series in a couple years and want the right cab for both amps.

I picked up a Standard 4x12 straight-box/slant-baffle cab. Sounds fantastic. It's obviously scooped and there's a lot of bass, but I wouldn't necessarily call it any flubbier than other 4x12s. I like it a lot with the Rectifier. There's a lot of treble too and that helps open up the Recto, it has a really silky, slinky feel to it. Did I mention that I like it a lot?

I have a Mark that I could try with it. Haven't bothered yet but I suppose I can to see how it does. I assume it would sound nice with a 6506+. When I had a 5150, it was similar to a Recto.

I used to have the OS The one with the Slant Baffle but was a Straight Cab. I Wish i would have kept it just long enough to hear what my Soldano Avenger 100 watt & my Peavey Ultra 120+ Sounded like through it. I think i may ditch my Marshall 1960BHW Cab in favor of a Bogner Straight cab with V30's or a Mesa Traditional.

Detroit1973":4etcqu9u said:
I used to have the OS The one with the Slant Baffle but was a Straight Cab. I Wish i would have kept it just long enough to hear what my Soldano Avenger 100 watt & my Peavey Ultra 120+ Sounded like through it. I think i may ditch my Marshall 1960BHW Cab in favor of a Bogner Straight cab with V30's or a Mesa Traditional.

The Avenger sounds great with a Mesa 4x12 OS. Can't remember if I used mine with the straight/slant or just regular slant, but it was better than the Soldano 4x12.

I find the Mesa OS Recto 4X12s dark, too bass heavy, dark, distant, undefined, dark, flabby, and just bad sounding. YMMV but most any other standard sized 4X12 will sound better. The traditional is an improvement, but not my favorite 4X12 by a long shot. The Mesa proprietary 8 Ohm V30 speakers also sound darker vs a standard current Chinese V30... so that doesn't help either.

Tons of records have been done with the 5150/6505 series amps through both of those cabs, so with that amp I imagine you could flip a coin for which of those cabs to go with lol. Joking aside, the fact you mention thrashier tones makes me think you may prefer the Traditional? I recall reading something with Andy Sneap, and the 5150/6505 boosted through a Mesa Traditional is one of his go to's. That said, the OS is the weapon of choice for others with those amps as well. Really not a wrong answer in this situation, it just depends on your tastes.

fearhk213":3ks73ii0 said:
Tons of records have been done with the 5150/6505 series amps through both of those cabs, so with that amp I imagine you could flip a coin for which of those cabs to go with lol. Joking aside, the fact you mention thrashier tones makes me think you may prefer the Traditional? I recall reading something with Andy Sneap, and the 5150/6505 boosted through a Mesa Traditional is one of his go to's. That said, the OS is the weapon of choice for others with those amps as well. Really not a wrong answer in this situation, it just depends on your tastes.
AFAIK, 90% of Andy's stuff is the Rectifier OS cab.

Rex Rocker":2qnvwc9f said:
fearhk213":2qnvwc9f said:
AFAIK, 90% of Andy's stuff is the Rectifier OS cab.
That’s what I used to think as well. Partly due to my own assumption and from other things I’d read here and there, but once I dug a little deeper and from lurking on his forum (which is pretty dead these day it seems), I found out it’s the Traditional he seems to use the most. That said, he uses the OS a fair amount too. Not to derail, but one of my favorites he’s done, tonally speaking, was one of Accept’s albums that he used a 5153 cab on.

It's crazy how people hear things so differently.

My Mesa OS cab is my oldest piece of gear. I got it before my gear whoring days back in 2010, when it was just considered a tool and I didn't really care.

Since then, I've had nearly every cab under the sun (and currently do). I don't find the OS cab loose, hollow, distant whatsoever. I don't distrust the opinions on here, but I've read A LOT of internet opinions by your typical dingus who played one in GC for 5 minutes, or saw it sitting in the corner of their friends basement and came online to parrot everyone's opinions at Ultimateguitar or sevenstring.oreg that the cab is loose or muddy.

I actually find the cab quite tight. Not as tight as a freshly tightened marshall 1960, or an old school Peavey Butcher slant, but it has less low end woof than my Diezel 412RV, or my Bogner Uberkab RL.

It's pretty much THE cab that has been paired with a 5150/6505 variant for the last 15 years, and they sound great together. Dial your resonance back a bit if you fear it sounds woofy, problem solved. That resonance pot on those amps can make the bass out of control in a hurry, especially without a proper boost up front.

Wanted to resurrect this thread, hope it's alright.

I just bought a new Mesa Quad preamp and a Rectifier Stereo 2:100 power amp to go with it. I've got a few cabs at home, but have been really thinking of getting a Rectifier cabinet, since it seems to be used on a lot of albums and usually gets universal praise.

Read through the whole thread, but the opinion seems divided on the Standard versus the Traditional cab.

Usually what I hear everyone say is that the OS is the one to go for, but was wondering about the reason why the Traditional is more expensive? Or is that only a thing here?

Back